Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Swimming Clothes In Thailand

I am visiting Thailand next month with my family (wife and children) and we keep our regular clothes on when on the beach or swimming. I was told that thai people most swim in their clothes as well, for us to feel confortable we would like to find out in which beaches can we do it without being just us. We were told about Phuket area as one of the nicest but we were told as well that no many local people like us around, is that true? or is there as well any place for thai people or where local Phuket people use to go? Anu suggestion on where to go if not Phuket?
    Thanks for your help

Thanks

Re: Swimming Clothes In Thailand

Thailand is very tourist friendly.

You could keep your clothes on while swimming in any beaches. For swimming pool in hotels, it better to stay away as other foreigners may not like it.

Phuket, Khaolak and Krabi have a large Muslim population. In fact if you drive north of Along the coastal road towards Khaolak, you will see a lot of Surau. Khaolak was affected badly during the Tsunami and many Muslim homes are gone. You may wish to drop by to give some help or talk to them about the experience.

In Malaysia, the Muslim although keep their clothes on while swimming near the beaches.

Enjoy your holidays.
    Last edited by KhunChin; 02-11-08 at 06:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KhunChin View Post
    For swimming pool in hotels, it better to stay away as other foreigners may not like it.
    Many swimming pools have signs saying you must wear swimming suits and not normal street clothes. Places like Suan Siam Water Park in Bangkok are one of the few places where Thais don't swim with their clothes on.

The nearest beaches to Bangkok - like Bangsaen in Chonburi and Cha-am the other direction - are popular with Thai people with few foreigners. Wearing speedos on these beaches will raise a few eyebrows! In Phuket you should easily find places where Thai people swim as well. But, like Khun Chin said, it is a public beach so don't worry about swimming in the sea with your clothes on.

Thanks

I remember asking something similar a while back. I ended up buying a short sleeve 'rash guard' shirt. I loved it, it not only covers you up and gives you UV protection, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable wet as would a regular t shirt. It's made of material that dries quickly and doesn't affect you swimming. I bought mine's on Amazon and I highly recommend it for those who don't like to go topless on the beaches.

Thanks

I always swim with my t-shirt on, otherwise I would get burnt. I don't think you can ever make a mistake being over-dressed at a beach!
    there is a beach in Ao Nang where the local Muslim women go swimming with the scarves etc on in the evenings, it is the southern end of Ao Nang town, near Krabi.
    Ko Lanta, 2 hours south from Krabi, is also predominantly Muslim.
    personally, I don't have a good opinion on Phuket. it used to be nice, you can still see how wonderful it must have been, but there are so many hotels, nightclubs, so much concrete, high prices, it has no beach atmosphere. however, the eastern (Muslim) side of the island and the beach near the airport on the western side are quite nice. but Patong beach must be the most depressing beach I've been to in Thailand. way too overdeveloped.

Thanks

Thanks for your answers mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I always swim with my t-shirt on, otherwise I would get burnt. I don't think you can ever make a mistake being over-dressed at a beach!
    there is a beach in Ao Nang where the local Muslim women go swimming with the scarves etc on in the evenings, it is the southern end of Ao Nang town, near Krabi.
    Ko Lanta, 2 hours south from Krabi, is also predominantly Muslim.
    personally, I don't have a good opinion on Phuket. it used to be nice, you can still see how wonderful it must have been, but there are so many hotels, nightclubs, so much concrete, high prices, it has no beach atmosphere. however, the eastern (Muslim) side of the island and the beach near the airport on the western side are quite nice. but Patong beach must be the most depressing beach I've been to in Thailand. way too overdeveloped.
    And what about Ko Phi Phi? I have heard we will find there the best beaches in Thailand, better than Phuket?

Thanks

depends on what you mean by "good beach". I would say Ko Phi Phi is great for snorkelling (you don't have to go far away for it, just hire a longtail boat), and also overall the scenery is great with the cliffs and bays. most of the palm trees were destroyed though by the tsunami. on one side of the island, the beach bay is so shallow that the water goes out during low tide and you have to walk quarter a mile to find water. but it is a really nice sunset spot.
    on the down side, there are LOTS of tourists packed into a small space there, and as far as I know, it is loud and there are lots of parties going on. (I went there a few years ago so I don't know exactly what it is like these days.) if I went there, I would try to find a quieter beach on the less visited northern part of the island.
    btw, the local population is mostly Muslim, but they are not very visible on the beaches, they are so badly outnumbered.

I don't know about your budget, but maybe Railey / also spelled Railay would be suitable? it's near Krabi as well.

many people like Phuket - I don't - it's personal. way too expensive, way too overdeveloped. but many people like exactly that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    depends on what you mean by "good beach". I would say Ko Phi Phi is great for snorkelling (you don't have to go far away for it, just hire a longtail boat), and also overall the scenery is great with the cliffs and bays. most of the palm trees were destroyed though by the tsunami. on one side of the island, the beach bay is so shallow that the water goes out during low tide and you have to walk quarter a mile to find water. but it is a really nice sunset spot.
    on the down side, there are LOTS of tourists packed into a small space there, and as far as I know, it is loud and there are lots of parties going on. (I went there a few years ago so I don't know exactly what it is like these days.) if I went there, I would try to find a quieter beach on the less visited northern part of the island.
    btw, the local population is mostly Muslim, but they are not very visible on the beaches, they are so badly outnumbered.

I don't know about your budget, but maybe Railey / also spelled Railay would be suitable? it's near Krabi as well.

many people like Phuket - I don't - it's personal. way too expensive, way too overdeveloped. but many people like exactly that.
    I dont like crowded and overdeveloped areas so I think I will not like phuket. I was looking for Railey and it looks really nice, is it more quite and maybe much less touristic than Phuket?
    As we are causcasic and not asiatic I dont want other children or people staring at my children because they swim in clothes, people may find bizarre turists doing it, or maybe not. I dont personally care what people thinks about me, I am use to it outside my country, it has even happened to me that lifegard came to asked me but I dont want anyone to disturb my kids. What kind of clothes Thai men and women wear in the beach?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 905 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KETOR View Post
    What kind of clothes Thai men and women wear in the beach?
    My wife and her sisters wear just exactly the same clothes as they would anywhere else in Thailand and swims in them.

David

Thanks

I'm a Farang but often swim in Thai fisherman's pants and a T shirt when in Thailand. You won't look unusual doing that.

If you are going to Ko Phi Phi and would like to be in a quiet and more Muslim style spot, then Ranti Bay on the eastern side would be good.

If you are intending to stay in Tonsai Village on Phi Phi, the Viewpoint resort on the northern edge of the village is one of the quieter places to stay. Be warned, however, that you might have a steep climb up to your bungalow.

BTW: Like Betti, I'm not a fan of Phuket.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thread Information