PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Returning to Korat and Camp Friendship
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Returning to Korat and Camp Friendship

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand this February. For me, this trip is partly nostalgic. I will be returning after serving there in the military during the Viet Nam war. I hope to make my way to Korat where I was stationed at Camp Friendship. I would imagine that many GI's have made this trek. I would appreciate any advise on how to make the trip most fruitful. After 40 years, I have no idea what I will be encountering. I vaguely remember the bus trip that use to take us from the Camp into town. I rented a bungalow near Korat as did so many GI's. I would love to revisit that old neighborhood. I know it was on the bus route but I can not remember the road that lead from the Camp to town. If anyone can help orient me and give suggestions on visiting Korat, I would greatly appreciate it. Where should I plan to stay? How best to get around Korat and out to Camp Friendship? Is the Camp still there? etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: Returning to Korat and Camp Friendship

I am not familiar with that place. I just want to wish you good luck in your sentimental journey. Some of our members in this site were also stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam War, and they keep on going back feeling nostalgic. I hope they will read your post.

Cheers!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Thank you Marie for your response. You may be able to help me understand the best way to secure 1st class train tickets for my trip from Bangkok to Korat. I notice I can purchase tickets on-line through a few travel agencies by paying them a fee. My question, is it worth it to pay the fee or is it just as easy to wait and purchase the tickets in country? I understand that the 1st class berths may sell out weeks in advance. Mitch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

You can find what train you need from the Thai railways website http://www.railway.co.th/English/index.asp and then you can email them at passenger-ser@railway.co.th you have to tell them the journey, date, train number, departure time, class, seat or sleeper (upper or lower berth), number of passengers, your name and e-mail address, and whether you want to collect your tickets at Don Muang or Bangkok Hualamphong station in the city centre. You can only do this between no more than 30 days before travel and at least 15 days before travel (bookings open 60 days before travel but you cannot book this way for the first 30 days).

State Railways of Thailand will charge you only a 200 Baht fee on top of the rail fare for this service.

Good luck.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Thank you David. Mitch

Thanks

And a bit of Googling shows me that Camp Friendship was adjacent to the south of the Royal Thai Airforce Base at Khorat which is 5 miles south of the city of Khorat (aka Nakhon Ratchasima). But I can find no other details than that.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    And a bit of Googling shows me that Camp Friendship was adjacent to the south of the Royal Thai Airforce Base at Khorat which is 5 miles south of the city of Khorat (aka Nakhon Ratchasima). But I can find no other details than that.

David
    That's probably a very useful snippet on info since Khorat is quite a big town now with so many big new roads in and around it that it must have changed a helluva lot in 40 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    You can find what train you need from the Thai railways website http://www.railway.co.th/English/index.asp and then you can email them at passenger-ser@railway.co.th you have to tell them the journey, date, train number, departure time, class, seat or sleeper (upper or lower berth), number of passengers, your name and e-mail address, and whether you want to collect your tickets at Don Muang or Bangkok Hualamphong station in the city centre. You can only do this between no more than 30 days before travel and at least 15 days before travel (bookings open 60 days before travel but you cannot book this way for the first 30 days).

State Railways of Thailand will charge you only a 200 Baht fee on top of the rail fare for this service.

Good luck.

David
    Always book a lower berth if possible-the upper ones are too close to the carriage ceiling!

Thanks

As he mentioned travelling 1st Class and with his wife they would have to have one of each are there are only two berths in 1st Class cabins.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I was basing my answer on your mention of upper and lower berth in your original post !
    (Actually, all the people i know who have used Thai sleepers have always gone 2nd Class-to be absolutely honest)

Thread Information