Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

High Tide Flood Pictures น้ำทะเลหนุนสูงเมืองปากน้ำ

Although we haven't seen any rain at all in the last two weeks, these were the scenes through the main street in Samut Prakan this morning. However, this isn't any ordinary flood. This is sea water. They say we are sinking and they may be right. High tide this week is 3.4 meters above the lowest low tide. It will only last about 2-3 hours, but we will have about five days of floods during this week.

---------------------------------------
    Samut Prakan Province จังหวัดสมุทรปราการ

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: High Tide Flood Pictures

I have just posted some more pictures and a report over at www.thai-blogs.com called "Help, we are sinking!".

Thanks

looking at these pics, now I remember a piece of advice I got regarding floods: whatever happens, I need to make sure that my motorcycle doesn't get caught in it, because the water goes up the exhaust pipe, and all the silt and crap in the water clogs it and it is nearly impossible to fix it. a colleague had to throw away her motorcycle after a flash flood in her village.
    and then in these regular flood pics I always see people trying to use their vehicles.

Thanks

When I was in a northern area,where the snow was really high , SOme people fabricated their exhaust pipes to run to the sky to prevent them from clogging on the snow. :o).

Wow,that is High Tide! How far is that from your place Richard?

Thanks

Almost like a mini tsunami

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcalaimo View Post
    Wow,that is High Tide! How far is that from your place Richard?
    It is about a ten minute walk down to the road in front of city hall where it was flooded. I guess I am lucky there is a small slope down to the river.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    looking at these pics, now I remember a piece of advice I got regarding floods: whatever happens, I need to make sure that my motorcycle doesn't get caught in it, because the water goes up the exhaust pipe, and all the silt and crap in the water clogs it and it is nearly impossible to fix it. a colleague had to throw away her motorcycle after a flash flood in her village.
    and then in these regular flood pics I always see people trying to use their vehicles.

I am amazed that they try to drive their vehicles in sea water that deep. Firstly if the air intake for the engine is at or below water level the engine will suffer immediate catastrophic damage (you cannot compress water at 10 to 1 !!) costing tens of thousand of baht to repair. Secondly if its undiluted sea water, it will get into all of the little hidden nooks and crannies of the body work and rapidly corrode it, even if they hose the vehicle down later with fresh water. They clearly don't they understand that they are causing potentially serious damage to their vehicles, which will soon be rust-buckets.
    น้ำผึ้ง

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is also strange that there weren't any policeman on duty at that major intersection - even though we all knew it would be a bad flood. It took many out-of-towners by surprise being so deep and many cars broke down and were stranded. The local fire brigade came to the rescue - mainly because their fire station was close by. I don't think they fully appreciate what sea water will do to your car.

We just had another scheduled flood there this morning.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 3,367 Posts

Richard, can I suggest you also post a few "before" pics-just to emphasise the" after"-ie flood pics?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I guess I could, but at the weekend. We had a heavy flood there again today. However, it is already bone dry there.

Thread Information