PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Currency Exchange?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Currency Exchange?

Is it better to bring foreign currency into Thailand ($USD) and exchange it at a bank or to pull from their ATMs? I'm planning a trip and was wondering if it's a better idea to bring cash vice take out at ATMs every so often. My bank doesn't charge foreign transaction fees or ATM fees, but I don't know what the banks charge for their service.
    Last edited by eric85; 18-11-08 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Currency Exchange?

It is usually best to bring a mixture just in case something goes wrong. You might find one day that your ATM card doesn't work or your bank has locked your account. It is also sometimes a good idea to arrive with some cash as well so that you have change for the taxi straight away. That way you don't have to queue up at foreign exchange or ATM at the airport. Although I live and work in Thailand, most of my money is in banks abroad. I use my ATM card to withdraw money as and when I need it as I travel around the country. You will find ATMs everywhere so, in theory, you shouldn't have a problem. Some people also carry travelers checks as an emergency.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

In addition to what Richard has said, inform your bank and credit card supplier when you are going abroad, and be sure to tell them where you intend to go. You should then prevent any closing of your accounts through strange foreign withdrawals.
    Most 'Visa' cards work well within the kingdom too.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

You got the best advice above already. Some friends from the UK were here and they had to try ATMs of 3 different banks within the space of 10 mins at Chatuchak market before they could withdraw money. (Only Siam Commercial Bank paid up.) Other friends with ATM cards of overseas banks also had problems with machines here, not being able to withdraw money for several days even tho they had money in the bank.

A new recruit at work from the UK had a problem using his credit card to pay for his rent because the bank didn't know he was in Thailand. Took him quite a few days to get it organised.

Thanks

All good advice and the only thing I can add is that apart from cash, credit cards, etc, I take two ATM debit cards, in case one gets damaged.
    If you look on your ATM card and it has the Maestro and Cirrus logos you should have no problem withdrawing money at ATM machines displaying those logos. Check with your bank.

Thanks

Yea, i'm moving to thailand for seven months sometime soon.
    I'll be there without my parents, so i was wondering how much a USD is worth over there now?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

35.13 Baht

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

you can check exchange rates on google. just write a search as "1 usd in baht" (you don't even need the quotation marks) and you get it. same with conversions between metric and stupid English.

Thanks

I use this site for exchange rates http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Thanks

depends on where are you at the moment and currency to buy or sell

Normally , the exchange rate at the bank is more expensive than individual currency exchange market in Thailand.(cash)
    Last edited by oeshidez; 06-01-09 at 04:25 PM.

Thread Information