PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Does age difference matter
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Does age difference matter

I would be interested in any opinions about whether you think a serious relationship is feasable from the following:

I recently met a Thai girl aged 18 in Bangkok, who I like, and now I'm back in Australia I call her 3 times a week, during which we express fondness for each other. I am 52. I speak a little Thai, & she speaks a little English. She has not made any demands, but said (at my suggestion), that she might allow me to visit her home town with her when I return early next year.

I admit I originally met her in a drinking establishment, and visited her 3 times. She advised me that she has no intimate experience with a man, and has only been in Bangkok for 10 days (home town is Kon Kaeng, Isaan). She seems nice, intelligent and genuine. I have holidayed in Thailand many times, and not had a Thai gf before - but there's something about this one I particularly like.

I would describe myself as fairly personable, intelligent, and careful (work as an accountant).

Welcome any feedback.

cheers

Thanks

Re: Does age difference matter

Use some common sense, when you was 18 years old, would you have been attracted to a 52 year old woman if you had plenty of 18 year old woman falling for you. The answer is No. Thai woman are not attracted to older men, they prefer men closer to there own age group if given the choice, but will compromise there preference for the prospect of either a financial return or a relationship that brings a comfortable life style in that order. The saying, "there is no fool like an old fool" is possibly useful in this case, so be very careful. I would say the odds are you are being butted up for a relationship and at some stage she will ask for money, possibly doing the same to multiple men at the same time. Of course you could be one of the few older men who have struck it lucky, but you would then be putting your self in the rare minority. I recommend you test her, firstly never send her money, a gift in the mail of little value is OK, then if she tells you that her buffalo is sick or some other excuse to send her some money some time in the future, just say no I don't buy woman and see how long she sticks around. If she passes the test then go for it, but don't bring her back to Australia, she maybe after citizenship and 80% of your house in a divorce settlement. Just be very careful. not something I would do.

Thanks

In Australia, did you already meet a (serious) teenager girlfriend ?
    So, young girls , all over the world prefer date and marry with their own age.
    i believe, she is nice and kind for you, and i hope you be happy in your relationship, but be careful.....
    And date her for a long time before support her and her family
    or Marry.
    Someday do for her a surprise and visit her without any notice

P/S:
    sorry , i write my post at the same time "paul_au".

Thanks

Next point are you in exceptionally good shape and look young for your age, or have you spent to much time in the sun with a beer gut attached. Just incase there is some physical attraction to the former in this statement, it may help with replies.

Thanks

Paul, did you gain all this experience from your very short encounter with the one and only Thai girlfriend that you had a few years ago?

Also Thai women do seem to like older men, as is seen in every town I have ever been in, seems like Thai and farang alike, the men are somewhat older than their wives or girlfriends and seems to make no difference to the women.
    Altho you have met your girlfriend in a working scenario, so I would be a bit careful and just play it by ear til you know for sure what is going on with her.
    My wife is a school teacher and is a lot younger than I am, but of coarse damn near everyone is. 555
    Lots of luck dude.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graemeb View Post
    I would be interested in any opinions about whether you think a serious relationship is feasable from the following:

I recently met a Thai girl aged 18 in Bangkok, who I like, and now I'm back in Australia I call her 3 times a week, during which we express fondness for each other. I am 52. I speak a little Thai, & she speaks a little English. She has not made any demands, but said (at my suggestion), that she might allow me to visit her home town with her when I return early next year.

I admit I originally met her in a drinking establishment, and visited her 3 times. She advised me that she has no intimate experience with a man, and has only been in Bangkok for 10 days (home town is Kon Kaeng, Isaan). She seems nice, intelligent and genuine. I have holidayed in Thailand many times, and not had a Thai gf before - but there's something about this one I particularly like.

I would describe myself as fairly personable, intelligent, and careful (work as an accountant).

Welcome any feedback.

cheers
    Once again I'll trot out my regular advice to guys like you graemeb:

"Nothing in Thailand is ever what it appears to be"

and I'll toss in another:

"You can take the girl out of the bar but you'll never take the bar out of the girl"

A virgin working in a bar? I find that hard to believe. and it's not unusual for the bargirls to say that they have just arrived in town.

Anyhow Good Luck!

Thanks

I think this is one of those common misconceptions and myths that seem to float about Thai women (and asian/southeast asian women in particular), that they tend to prefer older men. Or that age/looks isn't one of their primary factors. I believe that Thai women are like women in any other culture or society around the world, they prefer a partner that is relatively close in age to them.

Yes we see a lot of big age differences in such relationships but if a young Thai girl had a choice between a young guy close to her age and a much older guy, all other factors being equal, then obviously she would go for the younger guy. Paul_au is right, when I was 18 a LONG time ago I would never have considered going out with a woman in their 50's. I'm sure many young women have other issues to concern with such as finances and how to care for their babies and young kids, that trump age and looks.

That's not to put a damper on older people and younger partners, heck I'm an older guy myself and am older than the Thai woman I am corresponding with now. But I know what the reality is, and if one can accept that a younger girl may not necessarily be attracted to you physically but in other ways as a provider, then by all means go for it.

Deknoi Guest

The majority of women go for older men. But we're talking 5 years older. Why? Well for example, a 30 year old man is going to be more financially accomplished, more mature and in approximately the same shape as a 25 year old, hence the attractive a 25 year old girl might have to him. #

When you are 34 years older than the girl (and without meaning to offend, are going to be dead by the time she reaches the age your are at now) you have to realistically look at the differences.

She's 18, which means she wants to go out and do the things that 18 year old girls do. Despite what the numbers of centenarians cracking their hips in the discos in Thailand might suggest, that's not really the same thing someone your age wants.

But as InterestedGuy aptly puts it, if you can accept that the balance of attraction swings much further to the ATM side of things for you than it would for someone my age, by all means go for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deknoy View Post
    When you are 34 years older than the girl (and without meaning to offend, are going to be dead by the time she reaches the age your are at now) you have to realistically look at the differences.
    People do live to be aged 86... And if she chose someone her own age they could be run over by a bus tomorrow... Live for today not sometime in the future.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

A big age difference isn't necessarilly a problem if the woman is in her mid-20s and upwards but in the case where she's only 18 it sets alarm bells ringing for me.

Thread Information