PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Will the unrest affect your plans to visit Thailand?
    Thanks

Will the unrest affect your plans to visit Thailand?

I have created a poll over at Quizilla to see how the PAD events will affect people's plans to travel to Thailand.
    Check it out, vote or just watch the results.

I'm kinda embarrassed that I spelled "you" wrong, I'm just so upset that I didn't even check my spelling

Thanks

Re: Will the unrest affect your plans to visit Thailand?

Jerome, my sister bought a ticket a couple of days ago, planning to come in on the 13th and stay a month. there is no way back. the problem is that I cannot predict what will be the safest 3 weeks from now. ok, we scrapped our holiday to Burma. now, should I try to get her on a flight as soon as possible to Chiang Mai? what if the airport is still unreliable, Air Asia won't make arrangements and refund if flight is diverted or delayed. there is some stupid Asia Summit planned in Chiang Mai for the 15-18th, who knows if it is going ahead now. we were promised a week off in December, now we don't know if it's going to happen after all. kind of difficult to plan the details of a holiday if you cannot make arrangements until the last moment, if you don't know whether you get time off, what transport will be available, who will be throwing stones and shooting where. so far, Chiang Mai has been quiet, with the occasional disruption in transportation to/from Bangkok. now, I don't know.
    I'm not really a fan of dictatorships but maybe a coup would be best now. and then, of course, back to square one. maybe Thailand cannot really deal with democracy after all.
    I guess we will never see these criminals in court, locked up, setting a precedent and giving a clear warning to people. hell, these people would have been SHOT by the swat team if they had tried to storm an airport and kick workers out of air traffic control. but I am digressing.
    I understand all the people who say "Thailand, never again" because most travellers save up for years to be able to afford a holiday and then it gets screwed up my the mob. now I would advise my sister to stay put. but all I can do now that she has a ticket in her hand is juggling and preparing for several scenarios. maybe 3 weeks is long enough to see clearly how to deal with the situation then. I don't think they can keep an airport disrupted that long, but I had to rule out any holiday plans that include flying. I am fuming.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Any reason you didn't do the poll here on this forum?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Any reason you didn't do the poll here on this forum?
    I didn't even know there was a poll feature here.

Even so, if I did it here, I think the answers would be quite skewed, don't you think?
    I made the poll to try and back up something I said in an earlier post that most ordinary people who come to Thailand as tourists are put off by the violence and that it is doing untold damage to Thailand's economy.

After a week or so I'll post the results here if you like.

Thanks

It may, depending on what happens. I already promised my girl that I would visit Thailand in January, and if any flights from California can land anywhere in Thailand or close, then I'll be there regardless of unrest or demonstrations. I was planning on taking my mom with me but not sure if I will do that. Maybe the silver lining is that the flights there will be somewhat less crowded and prices come down (though I doubt prices will come down). I wouldn't mind a less crowded cattle class.

Thanks

i promised my tiirak that i would arrive on the 14th of dec

lets hope by then more of less it has cleared..coz i have already paid for the tix and hotel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InterestedGuy08 View Post
    ... Maybe the silver lining is that the flights there will be somewhat less crowded and prices come down (though I doubt prices will come down)...
    I will be praying for a lower fare for Jan or Feb too

Thanks

i will be flying over during new year's eve. will still go but have to buy insurance...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    . maybe Thailand cannot really deal with democracy after all.
    I'm sure we are actually of one mind on this, although I know you have direct experience of living under a dictatorship and I have been spared it.

None of the dictatorships that surround Thailand can really deal with being dictatorships. And Thailand couldn't really deal with sliding back in that direction.

When I was in Thailand in July I met a woman originally from Laos, who is now an American. She was on her way back there to visit family.

After being sent to re-education camp in the mid 1980s, she decided that the one in three chance of drowning crossing the Mekong to escape to Thailand was worth it. What was worth it was not getting a new life filled with consumer goodies unknown in Laos but getting away from people who want to have total control over everyone else. I know lots of refugees from Tibet, Vietnam and Cambodia who feel the same way.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thread Information