PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Army will not act.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Army will not act.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Thai army refuses to move airport protesters

Posted 59 minutes ago
    Updated 24 minutes ago
    The stand-off between police and protesters is growing increasingly tense.

Anti-government protesters occupying Bangkok's airports have defied police calls to leave, while the army, which called on the Government to resign, has refused to help remove them.

The stand-off between Thailand's police and protesters is growing increasingly tense.

The five-day siege has caused 30,000 passengers a day to miss flights, costing the top tourist destination millions of dollars a day and prompting global appeals for action.

An attempt by police to seal off the airport failed, after thousands of supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) overwhelmed police road blocks.

With rumours of a coup circulating Bangkok, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's Government is looking increasingly isolated.

Tens of thousands of overseas travellers are still unable to leave the country and the international community is getting concerned.

The United States has urged the protesters to end their occupation peacefully.

The PAD protesters have vowed not to leave until the resignation of the Government that was elected last December.

On Friday night there were hopes of a negotiated settlement, with reports that PAD had agreed to talk with the police and other parties, but the protest leaders seem to be split on the idea.

Mr Somchai has appointed a new head of the national police, in the hopes that Thursday's state of emergency decree will be implemented.

However efforts this morning by small numbers of police to breech the protest barricades of the international airport were fruitless.

Their attempts to seal off the airport failed after thousands of supporters of the PAD overwhelmed police road blocks.

Mr Somchai has warned that the kingdom risks being isolated from the international community if the protesters do not retreat.

"To lay siege to the airports is extremely dangerous. It will make foreign countries lose confidence in Thailand. They will not fly their aircraft in or allow their citizens to travel here," Somchai told reporters.

"If the stand-off is protracted, it will isolate Thailand, affect our international trade and destroy our country's image," he said.

Mr Somchai himself has been holed up in the northern city of Chiang Mai since Wednesday, as the blockade forced the diversion of his flight from a summit in Peru.

The Government says he will remain in Chiang Mai indefinitely due to tensions with the army, which has denied that it is planning a coup.

Mr Somchai said his Government remained open for negotiations but "not on condition of resigning and dissolution [of parliament]."

Meanwhile, the main international airport will officially remain closed for another two days, airport authorities said.

"The People's Alliance for Democracy group is still occupying the area in front of the Suvarnabhumi airport passenger building with no sign of dissolving," airport director Saereerat Prasutanont said in a statement.

"The airport, therefore, has to declare there will be no flights in or out for a further 48 hours until 6:00pm (local time) on December 1," he said.

Thanks

Re: Army will not act.

Why, if the army will not do what is called for from the seated, duly elected govt of Thailand does not someone fire the generals that control the army and replace them with soldiers that want to do their job and protect the country?

Or is there no one in Thailand that has the power to do anything about what is going on?

Hell of a way to run a country, A govt that has no power and can do nothing but steal, graft and take from the country's treasury, An Army that is controlled by officers that will do nothing except live off graft and fill their own bank accounts and answers to no one, A police force that is patterned after the Army and answers to no one and is just Mafia and grafting thieves but can do nothing about major disturbances.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    Why, if the army will not do what is called for from the seated, duly elected govt of Thailand does not someone fire the generals that control the army and replace them with soldiers that want to do their job and protect the country?

Or is there no one in Thailand that has the power to do anything about what is going on?

Hell of a way to run a country, A govt that has no power and can do nothing but steal, graft and take from the country's treasury, An Army that is controlled by officers that will do nothing except live off graft and fill their own bank accounts and answers to no one, A police force that is patterned after the Army and answers to no one and is just Mafia and grafting thieves but can do nothing about major disturbances.
    I think that's called a Banana republic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post

FaranginPhetch,
    I think you should learn some more about the election of Thailand as well as the elected govt of Thailand so that what you don't understand can be disclosed eventually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I think that's called a Banana republic
    You don't mean the republic which Thaksin hopes to be the first president, do you?

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

IMHO.
    Unfortunately for Thailand and its citizens they are now being used to further the ends of two men who, while being very successful in their own ways, seem to have failed to grow out of the school yard syndrome of 'it is my ball'!
    If the truth be known there are very few people in Thailand that want either party governing them, the PPP being seen as the lesser of two evils, and as a consequence, no one in the police or army really wants to fight for either cause, hence the current situation.
    While both parties behave like overgrown kids, and the demonstrators on both sides allow themselves to be used this way, Thailand can only progress in one direction, down the proverbial drain!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pichai View Post
    You don't mean the republic which Thaksin hopes to be the first president, do you?

Compare the economy of Thailand now and when the Oh So Evil Thaksin was Prime Minister.

Is it so painful to share some of the wealth of the country with the less fortunate citizens who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths?

Name one single thing the leaders of PAD have proposed to make anybody's life in Thailand other than their own, any better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Compare the economy of Thailand now and when the Oh So Evil Thaksin was Prime Minister.

Is it so painful to share some of the wealth of the country with the less fortunate citizens who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths?

Name one single thing the leaders of PAD have proposed to make anybody's life in Thailand other than their own, any better.
    I am trying to be open minded here, and respect the Thai citizens on this website and all across Thailand. I don't want to antagonize or point fingers without being respectful, but at the same time I agree I haven't seen or read anything that PAD proposes to actually help their fellow Thai citizens for the greater good.

OK I can definitely agree that Thaksin was corrupt as they come; certainly for that alone I can understand people's beefs. Yet I don't understand how having a select group of people from certain social groups choose their govenmental representatives is fair to the rural poor of Thailand (by select social groups I assume those of the 'upper class'). Sure vote buying is a legitimate issue, but how is taking the power of the vote away from the rural people outright any better?

In the end this whole affair to me seems like a basic divide amongst social classes, those more affluent and those less affluent and living in rural areas.

Whatever the situation, as an outsider I wish that it didn't have to come to seizing airports and inconveniencing not only tourists/foreigners, but Thai citizens who depend so much on the money tourism brings in. I say this because I love the country and people of Thailand very much, and many people around the world do too, that's why tourism is so big. Certainly there couldn't have been a more peaceful way to air grievances and protests?

Thanks

One suggestion: Electoral College

jess

Thanks

Pichai, say
    FaranginPhetch,
    I think you should learn some more about the election of Thailand as well as the elected govt of Thailand so that what you don't understand can be disclosed eventually.
    s

Would you care to educate me,
    I happen to know that the PPP was voted in and that was done by the people of Thailand thru popular vote.
    I do not approve of them myself, but I am not allowed to vote.
    And I also think that the military and police of the country should be controlled by the seated duly elected government. Which does not happen in Thailand.

Thread Information