PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Mia noi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mia noi

fanz Guest
    The term "mia noi" is understood by almost everyone. What is the
    term for the male counterpart of this kind of relationship? It seems to be assumed that a mia noi is an unmarried girl or woman. Is the same term "mia noi" used if the female is married? Please discuss.

Thanks

talking

Franz,

My understanding of this--and I certainly could be wrong--is that mia noi is the younger wife of a man who has 2 (or more) wives.

And, since no man in Thailand (or probably anywhere else) would allow his wife to have more than one husband, there is no term for this arrangement.
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks

Oopsie...

I should check the dictionary first...then write.

Here's what I found: ¹ is a minor wife.
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks
    Powerful and rich Thai men sometimes have a "MIA NOI" (¹), a second unofficial wife. The man supports everything for her, supports her children but in front of the society she is not recognised. Powerful and influential men don't divorce but can have unofficially several minor wives. As long as he takes care of all of wives it is tolerated. This of course the Thai male point of view.

In 2001 a study of 80 Thai men led by a Thai hospital revealed that at least 25% of Thai men are polygamous, particularly during the ages of 30-50. The study concluded one in every four married men in Thailand, mostly businessmen, has a minor wife or wives. The study showed that most women who become minor wives do so because they have become dependent on men and feel they do not have to work hard to be financially stable. Most of this group of women were aged 20-30 years and were college graduates. The study showed that 33% of all minor wives had problems of insecurity, while another 33% were lured into the situation by men who lied about their marital status. Most women wanted to end the marriage after learning about the minor wives, most men did not want to divorce their first wife.

"mia noi" - could be a married or unmarried woman

If a married woman has a relationship with a man (single or married), we call a man ""(Shoo)

n. - the lover of a married woman; a male corespondent, a paramour - New Model Thai-English by So Sethaputra

fanz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nui @ Dec. 15 2002,17:23)]Powerful and rich Thai men sometimes have a "MIA NOI" (¹), a second unofficial wife. The man supports everything for her, supports her children but in front of the society she is not recognised. Powerful and influential men don't divorce but can have unofficially several minor wives. As long as he takes care of all of wives it is tolerated. This of course the Thai male point of view.

In 2001 a study of 80 Thai men led by a Thai hospital revealed that at least 25% of Thai men are polygamous, particularly during the ages of 30-50. The study concluded one in every four married men in Thailand, mostly businessmen, has a minor wife or wives. The study showed that most women who become minor wives do so because they have become dependent on men and feel they do not have to work hard to be financially stable. Most of this group of women were aged 20-30 years and were college graduates. The study showed that 33% of all minor wives had problems of insecurity, while another 33% were lured into the situation by men who lied about their marital status. Most women wanted to end the marriage after learning about the minor wives, most men did not want to divorce their first wife.

If a married woman has a relationship with a man (single or married), we call a man ""(Shoo)

n. - the lover of a married woman; a male corespondent, a paramour - New Model Thai-English by So Sethaputra

Mia noi--------pua noi-------kon rak

Would the second lover of a mia noi be called a " pua noi"?
    I used the term one time and got a resounding laugh.
    Is the term kon rak used by a mia noi to describe her married lover or is the term pua used instead?.............fanz

arsira Guest
    i think it called ѡ (an adulterer;paramour).from ҹء -ѧ-չ by ح ѵҹԪ

fanz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nui @ Dec. 15 2002,17:23)]Powerful and rich Thai men sometimes have a "MIA NOI" (¹), a second unofficial wife. The man supports everything for her, supports her children but in front of the society she is not recognised. Powerful and influential men don't divorce but can have unofficially several minor wives. As long as he takes care of all of wives it is tolerated. This of course the Thai male point of view.

I'm sorry, I cannot reconcile the transliteration "shoo" from what I read to be the thai character kor kai. Am I reading that character wrong? (As an aside; how to you mix english and thai characters in the same keyboard?)...........fanz

Thanks
    It's not the same letter as kor kai though they do like quite similar.

( ҧ 'chor chang&#39 is the letter in
    is 'kor kai'

fanz Guest
    Thanks, Mike. Guess my eyes are a little fuzzy. Schooling, unlike business, lets you make one mistake at a time... FREE
    A wall gets built one brick at a time.

Vali Guest
    Actually my old neighbor in Bangkok was a "pua noi" hehe. Little Husband.

Thread Information