PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Kanchanaburi car hire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kanchanaburi car hire

Hi,

Im coming back to BKK in March, although I went on a guided tour of Kanchanaburi last time I would like to be able to go there and drive around myself to explore the area a bit and stay a night or two.

Would it be best to hire a car in Bangkok or catch a train (is it a scenic route at all)? If I hire in Bangkok I would want to do it on the edge of town so I don't put the motorcyclists in danger!!

How far are the floating markets from Kanchanaburi ideally I would like to go early in the morning, I have read that this can be done on the way to Kanchanaburi. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Kanchanaburi car hire

When you land, are you planning to go straight to Kanchanaburi? In that case, I would suggest you hire a car at the airport. From here it is easy to get on the Outer Ring Road. Turn off on the Rama II Road to Samut Sakhon. At Samut Songkram, turn off and head to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. From here you can easily continue to Kanchanaburi.

------------------------
    Explore Kanchanaburi at www.ThailandGuidebook.com

Thanks

Thanks Richard, I fly in at 7:15pm so I will go on one of the following days. I have read your great write up about the market and would like to go early in the morning also so I assume I would need to get the car the night before. Is it best to hire a car from one of the big chains?

Looking around on the web I see theres a place near Asoke BTS, the journey from here onto Ratchadaphisek then RAMA 3 looks pretty simple do you think this would be ok for someone who has never driven in SE Asia?

Thanks,

Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, you would need to get the car the night before. And yes the big car chains are the best. I am not sure if the drive to the outer-ring road is that simple, but I am sure the car hire people will help you get on the right road. Going from the airport is the simplest. But it will be dark by the time you are out. You shouldn't have much trouble. Are you clear with the route you need to go to find the market? And then from there to Kanchanaburi?

Thanks

I will be driving to Kanchanaburi this weekend. They are having the "Lights and Sound" festival. Driving from Bankok to Kanchanaburi shouldn't be a problem because there are English signboards. Though, it'll be better if you are able to speak some Thai so at least when you are lost, you can ask for directions. But shouldn't be a problem. Only thing to take note is cars in Thailand are "right hand drive".
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Going from the airport is the simplest. But it will be dark by the time you are out. You shouldn't have much trouble. Are you clear with the route you need to go to find the market? And then from there to Kanchanaburi?
    Would it be worth catching a cab back to the airport or staying the first night at a airport hotel then going the following morning for simplicity? I am fairly certain, I have google maps and I will get Thailand maps for my GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    I will be driving to Kanchanaburi this weekend. They are having the "Lights and Sound" festival. Driving from Bankok to Kanchanaburi shouldn't be a problem because there are English signboards. Though, it'll be better if you are able to speak some Thai so at least when you are lost, you can ask for directions. But shouldn't be a problem. Only thing to take note is cars in Thailand are "right hand drive".
    Right hand drive won't be a problem I am Australian. Not sure if I can learn enough Thai to be useful, although I am trying. I hope you enjoy your weekend!! Would be great to see some pics of the festival.

Thanks for the advice!! This is my 2nd trip to Thailand I would like to eventually move there but that is a long way off, I certainly plan to make many trips to be sure before I make the big move.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I personally don't like driving in Bangkok much because of one way system and special lanes for buses only. It can be confusing at times. If you are not used to it, then I would be tempted to say to you to start from the airport. However, as I found out, the car hire desks are on the inside before you go through customs. So, you need to book before you leave. Sounds crazy, but that is what they said to me when I had difficulty finding a desk.

Have you read my blog on Driving Tips for Thailand? Keeping to the main roads you will have no problem. All signs are in English. Only the smaller roads have Thai only.

Bucky, make sure you give us a trip report with pictures when you get back! I am not sure where I will go this weekend. Going to Kanchanaburi was one option. I last saw the light and sound show 14 years ago.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 03-12-08 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks

I have read it now, thanks it gives me a lot more confidence. A few questions; Do I need an international drivers license or will my Australian one be fine? Is there much to see along the way to Damneon Saduak? I am wondering if I should stay the night there so I can get to the market early and be able to take in the journey a bit more.

With your advice I think I might stay the first night at a hotel near the airport then leave early the following day from the airport area.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daveaus View Post
    I have read it now, thanks it gives me a lot more confidence. A few questions; Do I need an international drivers license or will my Australian one be fine? Is there much to see along the way to Damneon Saduak? I am wondering if I should stay the night there so I can get to the market early and be able to take in the journey a bit more.
    Instead of Damneon Saduak, I suggest you spend a night at Amphawa (which is nearby) instead and check out the night floating market. Check out http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8894 .

My International Driving Permit expired since June and I'm still driving. Just prepare a lot of 100 bahts with you. You don't want to be faced with the police with only big notes. They usually don't have small change for you.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

Thanks, the pictures have prompted me to add another 4 days to my trip. There goes $200 in change fee's but worth it I reckon! Can you confirm that I am looking at the correct destination (on highway 6006):

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...09656&t=h&z=17

What is the standard bribe, when I was last in Bangkok the taxi driver got bribed 200BHT is this the norm?

Thanks

Thread Information