PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Cha-am

Thread: Cha-am

Thanks

talking Cha-am

I was planning a vacation in Thailand, but didn't want to stay somewhere too "touristy", if that makes any sense.

I was told Cha-am is really nice, but wanted to know about town. I've heard the beach is fantastic. What sort of things (restaurants, sights to see, stuff like that) would people really recommend someone see there?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Cha-am

I think Hua Hin is more popular but I heard the seafood is cheaper in Cha-am.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cha-am is a popular weekend destination for Thai people from Bangkok. A little too far for a day trip. I am not sure who told you that the beach was "fantastic". That is a bit over the top. You need to head further south for whiter sand and clearer seas. Like Bucky said, Cha-am is cheaper all round. Most foreigners head a bit further south to Hua Hin.

-------------------------------------------------
    Online guidebook for Cha-am and Hua Hin.

Thanks

Cha-Am beach is much like Bang Saen, not particularly attractive in my opinion. It's very much a Thai person's beach with people swimming with their clothes on. The town itself does not have much going for it.

Hua Hin just a short drive further South is a far better option. There are many good restaurants there, including some right on the sea front. The beach is vast, and the town itself, clean and easy to get around, is a pleasant place to spend a restful few days.
    Last edited by Surawut; 08-12-08 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

Have to agree with all of the above. And too many drunk teenagers riding around crazily on motorbikes when I was there.

Thanks

Cha-Am does have a certain charm to it, best enjoyed in the company of a large Thai family. Think lazing in deckchairs eating seafood all day. The beach is only average, but hey I come from Australia. There's not too much to do in Cha-Am, but I still go back there every year. Hua Hin is more expensive, the beach is only slightly better, it is over run by tourists and full of Pizza restaurants. You could easily visit both places and make up your own mind. My wife has been going to Cha-Am since she was 4years old and remembers when it was a small villiage.

Thanks

happy Re: Cha-am

Cha Am lodging/hotels are more cheaper than HuaHin,but less nite life.True,the seafood there are cheap.Most of the street look deserted after 8pm.Beaches not so tempting,many local and Thais overland came for short holiday.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks

I think the type of people who stay in Cha Am can be divided into three groups.

1. Thai families. A lot of families from Bangkok travel down and spend the weekend in Cha Am. It's cheaper than Hua Hin and not as many tourists.

2. Tourists who don't mind spending a buck on accommodations and want to stay in some of the many private pool villas in many of the new hotels that seem to be springing up around Cha Am, like the Yaiya Resort, which opened in December. There are a number of other resorts with private pools in the villas like the Aleenta, Vernada resort and Alila resort.

3. People that don't know much about the area and thought that Cha Am is nearer to Hua Hin than it is, and are kinda disappointed in the nightlife and have to travel to Hua Hin to party.

I remember seeing a thread hre the other day saying something about how the Hua Hin/Cha Am area is about to receive a lot of attention from the government to try and spruce it up and attract more tourists.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks

Yeah, Cha-Am beach is a bit of a let-down if you've been to some other beaches further south. Generally, beaches/islands on the Andaman side are nicer than on the gulf side, though Koh Tao might be appealing to you as it probably gets the smallest number of tourists in the very nice Samui-Phang Ngan-Tao island group. If you're looking for natural beauty and you're not concerned about going far from Bangkok, there are lots of less-visited places to go to, but it means you have to read the guidebooks carefully to find out where to go (and read other stuff and talk to people as well!). A place not too far away from Bangkok, but with a nice beach and a beautiful bay (still, the water isn't clear though) is Ao Manao outside of Prachuap Khiri Khan, on the gulf side. It has a similar atmosphere to Cha-Am, but with fewer people.

Wherever you end up, the experience is what you make of it. If you let a "touristy" experience get foisted upon you, that can be accomplished pretty much anywhere you travel in Thailand. Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your vacation!
    Last edited by lamlam; 29-01-09 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmwallace View Post
    I was planning a vacation in Thailand, but didn't want to stay somewhere too "touristy", if that makes any sense.
    I think you'll find visitors anywhere there's a nice beach.

What are your priorities, say, as between relaxing on the beach, water sports, museums and temples, and local markets and shopping? You can escape from everything, but you might get bored. And the season will affect the weather and waves (and thus the snorkeling, diving, etc.).

One consideration is how comfortable you would be in an area where it might be more of a struggle to find people who speak English. And whether it would bother you if children view you as an alien from another world.

Thread Information