PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Meeting new people in Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Meeting new people in Bangkok

Hi
    I'm a young man 24 years old and about to move to Bangkok for a traniee job. I know nobody in Bangkok and was wondering where I could meet young people like me (foreign or thai). I just need somebody to hang around with in this big city. Do you know any forums or web pages or what I could do to meet new friends here in bangkok.

Thanks

Re: Meeting new people in Bangkok

The number one place to make friends in Thailand is at your local Wat. You will also learn heaps about Thai culture.

Going and doing a Thai language class in the evening would help get you in contact with other people who have just recently come to Bangkok.

Do you play any competitive sports or, say, do a martial art, yoga or tai chi?
    Last edited by billk; 09-12-08 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

hey. I just got here 5 days ago and i've got the next 5 years here.....i'm not too impressed with thailaind. I need help, cause I know this is a great country, but I don't know how much longer I can take being stared at...and i've been cooped up in my hotel since I got here. I need to meet someone who can show me the awesome side of thailand. I'm from south africa and i'm 18 and it's my first time in asia......Just help me...and please don't be one of those guys!

Thanks

You've cooped yourself up in your hotel room? No wonder you're bored! Get outside! Grab a guidebook and go... adventure will find you!

Thanks

You could try one of IM's like Skype or the asian dating sites to meet some friends.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaya90 View Post
    hey. I just got here 5 days ago and i've got the next 5 years here.....i'm not too impressed with thailaind. I need help, cause I know this is a great country, but I don't know how much longer I can take being stared at...and i've been cooped up in my hotel since I got here. I need to meet someone who can show me the awesome side of thailand. I'm from south africa and i'm 18 and it's my first time in asia......Just help me...and please don't be one of those guys!
    Hi Khaya

Do you mind if I ask if you are black?

No one in big cities in Thailand usually bats an eyelid at white people but black people will stand out in the crowd a little more. I think you might need an icebreaker. If people make eye contact with you and you give a warm smile and say "Sawat-dee khrab", that will help put them at ease and they are pretty sure to respond in kind.

Smiling is the number one most important thing to do in Thailand.

A lot of the discomfort Thai people feel with foreigners stems from the expectation they won't be able to communicate with them. So the more Thai language you can learn, the more comfortable your daily interactions with people will be (in shops, on the bus etc) and the easier it will be for you to make friends.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

five days in an unknown place? Ya'd be suprised how much many foreigners in Thailand who've stayed in bkk for a week and know nothing about it or no one at all lol.

An idea for you to start with. Try going to the same food place for three or four times. I'm sure you will have at least the food sellers as new friends. perhaps waiters/waitresses too, besides the awesome cuisine.
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThuggieDuckie View Post
    five days in an unknown place? Ya'd be suprised how much many foreigners in Thailand who've stayed in bkk for a week and know nothing about it or no one at all lol.

An idea for you to start with. Try going to the same food place for three or four times. I'm sure you will have at least the food sellers as new friends. perhaps waiters/waitresses too, besides the awesome cuisine.
    Maybe you can introduce him to someone !!!

Thanks

My friends in BKK are fareigner haters So, i'll forget your suggestion LOL I stick to my food place idea.

I know one girl who owns a drink booth at a movie theatre. I don't even know her name but we talk everytime i go there. She says hi to me even when she rides pass me by. That feels good, right? In his case, i think it's easier for other people to remember him.
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thanks

hi!
    my name is andy. i'm THai, twenty sth. and i want to have foreigner friends. i'm friendly, wel educated and easygoing. you can PM me
    Last edited by Khun Don; 16-01-09 at 04:38 PM. Reason: For your own protection, please do not post your e-mail-use PM feature of forum

Thread Information