PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
One ring to unite them all, hopes Abhisit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was the ''lord of the ring'' as he pondered the band of gold an elderly Isan woman gave him last year. She told him it was a symbol of fellowship between him and people in all regions of the country.

At a televised press conference at Democrat party headquarters last night, Mr Abhisit raised the gold ring he said he had received from 84-year-old grandma Niam during a visit to Ubon Ratchathani province.

''When I was there on an election campaign,'' Mr Abhisit said tearfully, ''... she gave me this ring and said I was now engaged to northeasterners.''

He was recalling the meeting under a tree beside farmland in Muang Samsip district on Aug 8 last year.

''I don't know if grandma Niam is watching. But I'd like to tell her today that the man who received the ring from her will work for her, her relatives, her northeastern people and all her Thai compatriots with fairness, dedication and honesty,'' he said in

a clear message to rural people, including those in the Northeast where the Democrats struggle to win votes.

''I do know that one man can neither do everything nor solve every problem. And I know that from now on I will not be able to make everyone love me, agree with me or even support me.''

Bangkok Post

Pic from "The Nation"

More on this story here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Re: One ring to unite them all, hopes Abhisit

This just goes to show that these elitists really do believe the Isaan people are just uneducated and unsophisticated. I'm sure the people are not persuaded by his obvious pandering.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Who's pandering to whom? She gave him the ring. Darned if you reach out, darned if you don't. I think it's divisive concepts like elitist and unsophisticated that will continue to confuse the issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin View Post
    Who's pandering to whom? She gave him the ring. Darned if you reach out, darned if you don't. I think it's divisive concepts like elitist and unsophisticated that will continue to confuse the issues.
    I remember in primary school how they taught us that all republican voters were filthy rich wall street boys and all democrats were poor rural people who lived in trailers.

Thanks

Isaan gran sends PM a blessing, but ends in hospital

By The Nation
    Published on December 19, 2008

Grandma Nium Phanmanee, the Isaan villager who gave a ring to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva last year, congratulated the new premier yesterday and gave him a blessing to stay long in office so he can bring prosperity to the country.

"I am glad you still keep my ring which I gave you with all my love and sincerity," said the 84-year-old grandma in a telephone call yesterday aired by Channel 7.

In reply, Abhisit pledged not to disappoint his favourite grandma.

"I am 100 per cent committed to serve the country," he said, adding that he would reciprocate her goodwill by doing his job to develop the country. He also wished her good health.

Nium, from Muang Sam Sip district in Ubon Ratchathani, rose to prominence overnight after Abhisit mentioned her in his speech on Wednesday evening following the ceremony to receive royal endorsement of his appointment.

He said he was reminded about his bond with Isaan people at all times after Nium gave him the ring as a memento for his engagement and commitment to the Northeast. He met her on the campaign trail in the lead-up to the December 23 election.

"I can't help mention grandma Nium. When I was there on an election campaign she gave me this ring and said I was now engaged to northeasterners," Abhisit said tearfully, raising the gold ring as he spoke.

"I don't know if grandma Nium is watching. But I'd like to tell her today that the man who received the ring from her will work for her, her relatives, her northeastern people and all her Thai compatriots with fairness, dedication and honesty," he said in a clear message to rural people, including those in the Northeast where the Democrats have struggled to win votes.

Indeed, grandma Nium was watching the PM on television at that moment. She was very glad with the PM. She cried and paid respects to sacred beings to say thanks for Abhisit becoming prime minister.

Grandma Nium's house yesterday was crowded with local villagers. Many people prodded her to ask Abhisit for development projects for their areas. However, Nium ended up being admitted to a nearby hospital due to high fever and high blood pressure.

Thanks

It's understandable how the north and northeasterners feel - Thaksin's government started new programs that actually did something to help their region. Since he was stripped of power by the coup - and the events that have happened since then - surely they must feel like they have been "sold out" so to speak. And now Abhisit and his government are promising to continue the very programs that were started by the Thaksin government in spite of the objection by Bangkok politicians. Only time will tell how all this works out, but I think I would be scepticle too if I were them.

Thanks

I am at a loss as to how confronting the REAL issues is construed as "confusing the issues".
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Well, we know that elite and unsophisticated are both loaded words used as propoganda by both parties. There are wealthy with the PAD and the PPP and there are unsophisicateds in both as well. If we keep making this an us verus them issue, how will a nation heal? What if we ask more for economic reform rather than hurling insults that no such thing will ever come?

I am sick and tired of this notion that Bangkok is elite and Isaan is poor. Yes that is true....but there is so much more to understand than that. If you haven't seen wealth in Isaan or poverty in Bangkok, I can show you. ....and if we think these are the only regions to Thailand that feel disinfranchised, we're missing out.

Blind hatred of the new government is the same as the blind hatred of the previous one.

Thanks

The fact remains that the Thaksin government, corrupt or not, did more for the people of rural Thailand than any other previous government. As for the new government, it remains to be seen, promises are one thing, delivering on those promises is another.

Thanks

I think Abhisit have a great symbolic value.

Lets see how far he can go

Thread Information