Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Noodles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 713 Posts

Re: Noodles

I love noodles, too, and when I have been in Bangkok I was just as happy at a noodle shop or small restaurant as in a more expensive one.

Recently my daughter and I made Khun Mel's noodle soup recipe in post # 19 and shared with a group of her friends. It was aroy dee! The only ingredient we couldn't find was the Chinese white radish, so now I have some growing in my garden.

Thanks to everyone who provides us with yummy Thai recipes!

Thanks

we couldn't find was the Chinese white radish, so now I have some growing in my garden.

I have found it is common, available at Wal-Mart, Stater Bros and chinese market called chinese daikon. Usually I make soup to go with other meal.

Thanks

I didnt know Chinese white radish called Chinese daikon too, thanks Chino1.
    Ive found the information of this vegetable, Westerners call it as white radish, Japanese call daikon.

Chinese white radish, Chinese daikon, Oriental daikon, daikon radish

Thai people call (hua-chai-tao), ǼѡҴ (hua-pak-gard), ǼѡҴ (hua-pak-gard-kaao), ѡҴչ (pak-gard-jeen), ѡҴ (pak-gard-hua),
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails white radish.jpg  

Thanks

I didn't know it was called daikon, either. I think I may have seen it in some city supermarkets, not knowing what to do with it. I will know to look for it from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Since I plant radishes along with cucumbers, I decided to try the Chinese white this year. Now I'm trying to think of ways to preserve it for use later on. One thought is to grate and dry it for storage. Another idea is to grate it, and put some in an ice cube tray and freeze it. When they are frozen, I can transfer them to a more secure container in the freezer. I do this with some herbs, also, for winter time use.

Thanks

Susana, You can pickle the daikon. One way is to slice the radishand salt over night.
    drain out the liquid and sqeeze out as much as you can. Place the slices in a sterile jar. Boil the pickling liquid .Poor over daikon in the jar to just covered. Screw on the cap and let cool. Keep chilled .

Daikon 2 medium washed and sliced. Don't skin them.
    sugar 1 1/4 cups ( or as sweet as you want or not as sweet .
    vinegar 1/4 cup
    salt 1 tsp
    chili pepper chopped depends how spicy you want them.

Japanese style dip for tempura is to grate the daikon finely. Shoyu and some yuzu in a small cup. Right before you eat stir in some of the grated daikon into the shoyu and yuzu as taste requires. DIp and eat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rcalaimo For This Useful Post:

Susana (23-12-11)

Thanks

I thought it time to revive one of the noodle threads (noodle threads, get it???)

We eat fairly simply at my house, and when I asked my husband what he wanted for Christmas dinner, he immediately said 'noodles in chicken soup'. Sounds good to me! Tomorrow, or maybe this afternoon, I'll get out the Italian pasta machine, use the food processor with dough blade, and make egg noodles. Can't wait!

Thanks

Re: Noodle

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Noodles are my favorite and have been so ever since I visited my first noodle shop near my former home in Thonburi.

I have read that when Marco Polo visited China he brought back the idea of noodles with him, thus giving the western world spaghetti. I think, however, something was 'missing in the translation'. Have you ever tried eating spaghetti with chopsticks?

Thank you Khun Mel. Once again you have tempted my taste buds!
    Marco Polo 1254-1324
    He was the first person to travel the entire 8,000 kilometre length of the silk route,the main trade link between Cathay(China)and the west for over 2000 years. Concern with the noodles if anybody read the story "Sri Thanon Chai" in Thai and mind is " Srei Thnon Chey" it was described that the king of China was the first tasted of noodles brought by the "Thnon Chai" to China,and the tradition were adapted among Chinese pepple in the Kingdom sinced that time,I would like to prove but I don't have the electronic links but I have my old book that I'd read sometime,it were left for me by anonymous monk,he is the intellectual at Bkk. Even told when did Bhudism were spread to China and the names of abassadors to China.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9168.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	15834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9168.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	15834[a

Here's a bowl of noodles, made with a food processor and Italian pasta maker. Easy to make, but oh, so messy and floury. I prefer to make them outside on a warm day, but duty called on a cold winter's day.

This is the way Mr X and I used to make them, only then we used just flour and water. These have egg added.

If you have a Thai noodle shop within walking distance of your house, you'll never need to make them yourself. And well, in that case you're just lucky!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (29-12-11)

Thread Information