PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Amazing Isaan Fair 2009
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Amazing Isaan Fair 2009

Here is a press release we received from the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) about the Amazing Isaan Fair 2009 at queen sirikit Convention Hall this weekend. This coincides with the launch of "Visit I-San Year" which I will tell you more about later......

A grand celebration of I-San culture, the Amazing I-San Fair 2009 highlights the tremendous diversity that I-San, Thailand’s northeastern region, offers.

The fair, which is being held in support of the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s “Visit I-San Year” promotional campaign from 2008 – 2010, presents the many fascinating aspects of the region’s natural landscape and fabric of life. This diversity is reflected in the art and culture, ancient traditions and rituals still being diligently observed, cuisine, indigenous crafts, folk music, song and dance, and traditional festivals. All reflect the folk wisdom and folk beliefs passed on from generation to generation and very much a part of the natural charm of the Northeastern region.

Engaging cultural presentations, live demonstrations, folk performances and exhibits are all designed to provide insight into I-San culture and I-San ways.

The Amazing I-San Fair 2009 brings together the best of I-San and also offers visitors an opportunity to shop for a diverse range of products and crafts from each of the I-San provinces, all presented under one roof — at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok during January 15 – 18, 2009.

The fair is divided into 2 main zones — an exhibition zone and a dedicated area for cultural performances, live demonstrations and other activities.

The exhibition zone features a full range of I-San village products and crafts, as well as services on offer such as special tour packages, accommodation offers and other related services.

The cultural presentations and activities zone is divided into four key zones, each with a different theme namely — Isan Folk Art and Crafts; Magnificent Ancient Civilizations; The Guiding Light of Buddhism; and Tradition and Cultural Heritage.

Isan Folk Art and Crafts

Featuring live demonstrations of I-San crafts based on indigenous folk wisdom

• Observe the sketching, drawing, painting or weaving of native patterns, designs and motifs, some of which are highly ornate, on textile, pottery, earthenware, silver and other materials.
    • Admire magnificent traditional textiles such mudmee silk and the fine prae wa silks woven by the Phu Thai tribal villages in Kalasin province. An exquisite piece of finely-crafted Prae Wa silk featuring 60 traditional patterns and measuring 90 metres will also be on display.
    • Watch as skilled artisans produce other handcrafted items such as triangular Khit pillows, pottery from Dan Kwian, the crafting of various traditional I-San musical instruments, basketry (including reed mats), and others.

Thanks

Re: Amazing Isaan Fair 2009

We went to the fair today. Lots of great food available, of course. About a quarter of the space just for food, and a large area was put aside for displays highlighting different provinces, with crafts being made too. There were also lots of booths advertising the provinces, package trips and resorts.

The pic of the temple was an advert for Ubon Ratchathani and the temple structure was made entirely from wax. The hanging decorations -- which look like ones usually made from flowers -- were made out of puffed rice (like popcorn but using rice).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issfair02.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	3312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issfair01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	3313  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issfair05.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	3314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issfair04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	3315  

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for reporting back and posting pictures. I am on my way there now. I prefer to go Sunday morning when traffic is a little lighter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Thanks for reporting back and posting pictures. I am on my way there now. I prefer to go Sunday morning when traffic is a little lighter.
    We're just about to go too. Only 8 or 10 minutes for us to get there from Huay Khwang MRT to The Exhibition Centre I'll look for you there Richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    We went to the fair today. Lots of great food available, of course. About a quarter of the space just for food, and a large area was put aside for displays highlighting different provinces, with crafts being made too. There were also lots of booths advertising the provinces, package trips and resorts.

The pic of the temple was an advert for Ubon Ratchathani and the temple structure was made entirely from wax. The hanging decorations -- which look like ones usually made from flowers -- were made out of puffed rice (like popcorn but using rice).
    "About a quarter of the space just for food",

Sounds good to me. They have got their priorities just right

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    I should have taken some pics of the food and performances. I was too busy eating to get my camera out though!

Thread Information