Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Keep safe while travelling

> Are you saying that wearing an old beer chang t-shirt and flipflops won't make me look like an established local?

I think that would help you, but not someone like me (I do wear flipflops though with my school uniform!)

Thanks

Hi Betti

Thank you for the wonderful advise. I will be inBangkok on the weekend and in Phuket next week. We will just be 2 ladies travelling together. Do you know anything about Nana Plaza. Is it safe for 2 ladies to go there at night or can you rather recommend any other club to visit.

Also if anybody can help with what the weather is like at the moment, so that we know what to pack. I see that BBC weather indicated daily rainfalls, is this for the entire day or just part thereof? Is it still pleasant to be in Thailand or rather miserable?

We have not made any bookings for tours, so if you have advise on that it will also help.

Thanks

Thanks

Where are you staying in Bangkok?
    It's always pleasant to be in Thailand. Rain falls almost every day in Bangkok right now. It's raining lightly outside as I write this. Don't let that worry you, the rain is warm Rain usually starts in the later part of the afternoon.
    Nana Plaza is a "red light" collection of go go bars in various states of seediness and is a male domain, but Farang women can be seen there. If you visited there you would be quite safe. The Sukhumvit Rd Soi 4 area where Nana Plaza is located, is very lively at night, usually complete with an elephant or two. As 2 ladies sans males, you definitely would look a bit out of place there, but the girls in the bars would probably even welcome you warmly.
    That part of Sukhumvit Rd has market stalls until late at night, mainly on the North side.

Most of the clubs/bars in Bangkok are male oriented but ladies are welcome.

Betti is probably the best person to advise you on what to bring in the way of clothes etc.

Thanks

I am absolutely no expert on clothes but you will need a raincoat of some sort (or buy one here). umbrellas are no use against monsoon rain.
    otherwise, it is pretty hot and sunny whenever it is not raining.
    sweater and socks needed if you are taking buses or trains. (the skytrain is freeeezing too in Bangkok, for me, cold and sore throat guaranteed. same goes for movies if you would like to go. the airport is horrible as well in this regard. all these meaning at around 17-18 degrees.)
    anything that is showing too much skin away from the beach may invite trouble. you need skirts at least to the knees and short sleeves (not sleeveless) if you are planning to set foot in the Grand Palace or any temples.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,050 Posts

I always find it handy to carry a light jacket when I visit Thailand in any season basically for three reasons: for the rain, the skytrain, the airport. Umbrellas are also versatile as protection for both heavy rain or strong sunshine. A light, folding umbrella can be squeezed in your handbag unobtrusively during your day-to-day touring and shopping. And both jackets and umbrellas are dirt cheap in Thailand; you may prefer to buy from there.

While we are it, I also wish to add a few more random tips on how to KEEP SAFE when traveling, in a general sense. This may apply to visiting Thailand or any other place in the world.

WHAT NOT TO EAT

Many tourists associate traveling with grabbing an opportunity to sample different exotic dishes that attract their fancy. I say there is a need to proceed with that with a degree of caution. Whether you dine in a posh restaurant or a street nook, it is best to do it with a happy balance between paranoia and common sense.

However, generally:

1) Do not use ice, especially if you don 't know its source (and chances are you don't). Prefer boiled beverages like coffee or tea, or bottled or canned drinks.

2) Be wary about foods that may need proper refrigeration, especially milk products.

3) Peel fruits and vegetables.

4) Street foods are phenomenal in Thailand, and they are one of the country's greatest attractions. However, a cautious traveler should think carefully: Is the food fresh, or has it been there for many days? How clean is the cooking equipment (if any)? How clean is the vendor himself/herself ?

(On a personal note, I should mention that I have been a patron of street foods for long years. And I have never had an unpleasant experience. But my traveling companion had, which not only paralyzed our travel plans, and made him incur huge unexpected expenses in form of medical bills, but also put his life at stake!)

5) Don't overeat. Your system may be adjusting to a new input.

]IF YOU ARE A WOMAN TRAVELING ALONE

1) Arrange a transport to meet you from the airport, especially if you are arriving at night or wee hours of the morning. When you book your hotel you may include this request. Many hotels offer this service usually for a fee. You must weigh the extra expenses against the anxiety of a woman arriving alone at off hours.

2) It is better to choose your hotel on the basis of security and location. Of course this entails some amount of research beforehand, like leafing through some guidebooks or studying a map. A round-the-clock security service, closed-circuit TV and sonar alarms are some features which can help you feel safe. As for the location, pick a hotel close to restaurants, transportation lines, shopping areas and areas that interest you.

3) Unfortunately strangers often judge us by the way we dress. The way we look is the first available information about us; clothes are non-verbal communication. Again, there should be a balance between the tradition of a country and what makes us feel comfortable. But for me I'd rather lean on the safe side and dress modestly as that would avert "wrong ideas" that may put my safety in peril.

4) Cultivate a mindset focused on being independent from the system. I never take it for granted that there are always other people who will carry my baggage for me, even just to lift it to the xray machine (it is a bonus if there are). Hence, I always use more than one suitcase to divide the load into weights I can conveniently carry. Usually one has wheels, and I put the other baggage on top of it.

IF YOU HAVE SPECIAL MEDICAL PROBLEMS

1) Handcarry a set of medical records. These should include the generic name and dosage of all the drugs you take, any known allergies, and your blood type. If you take the drugs with you, carry with you prescriptions, in case there is a need for you to present them to airport's authorities.

2) Take your doctor's contact numbers.

3) Also ask for names of doctors and their contact numbers in the areas where you will be traveling.

4) For medical emergencies, you may ask help from your hotel's concierge, local police or your embassy.
    Last edited by Marie; 05-09-09 at 08:54 AM.
    I value informed opinion, not opinion that stems from nothing but attitude. The latter is the depth of ignorance.

Thanks

1) Do not use ice, especially if you don 't know its source (and chances are you don't). Prefer boiled beverages like coffee or tea, or bottled or canned drinks.

I have read this so many times but still don't understand. Ice comes from factories and is transported in plastic bags. Never ever had a problem.

I am careful with eggs, though. scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, pancakes. I've had salmonella-like infections several times after trying to eat egg in restaurants or in the street. if they are not properly cooked, you are in trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post

I have read this so many times but still don't understand. Ice comes from factories and is transported in plastic bags. Never ever had a problem.
    This is no doubt the case now days-but I have seen in the past huge blocks of ice dragged along the pavement with a hook in Bangkok by a delivery man and taken into a restaurant.
    I think an amended rule should be-if the ice comes in small moulded pieces-a circular shape is common-then it is ok-but if it is has obviously been chipped from a large block-beware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    - get a mobile phone. bring an old crappy phone, get the sim unlocked (about 200-300 baht in small repair shops or big plazas), buy a DTAC economy SIM card for 50 baht that will give you a Thai phone number for 30 days (or more if you top it up by 10 baht a day). store emergency numbers, the number for your embassy, any friends or contacts you have in Thailand....
    Great advice.

Another useful number incase of an emergency or unwelcome situation would be the Thai Tourist police. I think the number is 1155 though correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Thanks

thanks for this information . it's very useful for me because safety is the most important thing I concern when traveling ..

Thanks

=) Great information here, it definitely useful when travelling...

Thread Information