Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Samut Prakarn-Ancient City เมืองโบราณ

Yes there are better restaurants along the coast here on the way back to Paknam. I have marked them on this map. I will do some restaurant reviews later.

Thanks

I remember eating at a place where there is a collection of maybe a dozen or fewer restaurants on the waterfront at the end of a soi about 1 or 2 km after the Ancient City coming from Bangkok, but not sure where that is on the map.

There are guys selling hand-held fireworks. It's a nice quiet place to have dinner. Look forward to the pics Richard. Hopefully I'll recognise it.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is Bangsaen 2. I have a thread on this forum about the walk with pictures already. More to come.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    It is Bangsaen 2. I have a thread on this forum about the walk with pictures already. More to come.

Thanks, that is the place. My favourite restaurants are along the river or by the sea so I like this place.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Thanks

I am sure I would go there sometimes. Thanks for the link Richard

Thanks

Thanks for the various notes.

I visited yesterday - here's a couple of points of logistics:

I took the 511 bus from Banglamphu (Ratchadamnoen Road) and followed the advice on the Ancient City website and in the LP, which is to stay on till the end of the bus route. The bus stopped in a bus station which the ladies at the food stalls said was called "Saai Looat" bus station (สายลวด). It is on Thanon Saai Looat. It seems that the number 36 sorngtairws don't go from there and you have to take a "big sorngtairw" (which is white and looks like a regular big-bus except that it is about two thirds the size and has the seats down the side like a, well, sorngtairw). From the bus station, just walk over to the other side of the road and flag one down (heading the same direction that the 511 had been). It was 10B to Ancient City and about 6km.

The whole journey from Banglamphu to Ancient City was 2 hours (mid-morning, midweek).

I did see a #36 sorngtairw parked right outside the ticket office of Ancient City during the day, but there were none there at 5pm. Dodging 6 lanes of rush-hour traffic (tip there's a pedestrian overpass about 100m left of the entrance, but it is obscured by trees when standing at the entrance), I flagged down a #36 sorngtairw and asked to go back to Saai Loowat bus station. He said he didn't go there and I would have to take the white "big sorngtaiw" again but I got him to take me somewhere else where I could pick up the 511. It was way further than the morning route, but only cost 8B.

Total journey time back into Banglamphu was 3 hours (5pm-8pm). Maybe it would be better to jump out and take the BTS for the Bearing to Siam part.

- -

Entrance to Ancient City/Siam is now 500B for foreigners. It's a bit dismaying seeing posts from only a few years ago saying how it had gone up to 150B :( I speak passable Thai, but they weren't going to give me any discount without specific proof of residence/work etc (which I don't have).

The 500B includes the bicycle rental, despite the price list on their website saying that it is 50B extra. It also includes the standard tram and, (I think), a boat trip around the floating market exhibit.

Well worth a day out, even at the inflated price.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SingSorng For This Useful Post:

Curt (29-03-13), Khun Don (29-03-13), Richard Barrow (29-03-13)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for all your tips. For other people, I advise catching the skytrain to the end of the line at BTS Bearing. Then from here take a taxi which is door-to-door. I'm guessing it would be about 150 Baht. Coming back, you can do like you did by hopping on a Songtaew 36 which takes you back to Paknam. On the other side of the road there are bus stops to take you back into Bangkok. That songtaew is 8 Baht for entire length of the line.

Thread Information