PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Daytrip: Wat Phra That Doi Noi
    Thanks

Daytrip: Wat Phra That Doi Noi

I remember seeing a photo of a golden pagoda on a hilltop right by a river a while ago, but it took me some six years to find out where it could exactly be.

Wa Phra That Doi Noi (วัดพระธาตุดอยน้อย) is about 43 kms from Chiang Mai, on the highway to Chomthong (west of the Ping river). It is about 1.5 kms off the highway itself, but because of the trees lining the road, you cannot really see it. It is one of the oldest temples in northern Thailand, its construction attributed to Queen Chamathewi (658 A.D).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wat doi noi3.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	3577

I thought I would just follow the Ping river south until I see a golden chedi on a hilltop, but it wasn't to be. For a while, it is a beautiful drive with amazing scenery that reminds me so much of my childhood.

Name:	ping river.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	3574

But after the bridge leading from Sanpatong to Lamphun, the road deteriorates quickly, and there were loads of men carrying guns, which freaked me out. I don't know how far it is possible to follow the road by the river, but at the temple, when I got there eventually, there was no road visible near the river so it must have ended somewhere earlier. So I had to backtrack to the highway.

The temple was totally deserted but for a few dogs, I don't think I had ever seen such a deserted temple in my life. Totally unexpected on Makha Bucha day! I was expecting people and a temple filled with life. But it is far from villages and towns, there are only a couple of houses in the area.

Name:	wat doi noi1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	3575

The smoke from slash and burn up the mountains is already in, but I could only just make out Doi Inthanon to the west, and the mountains of Lampang to the east. They didn't show on the photos though. When the air is clean during the cool season, the view must be really splendid.

Name:	wat doi noi4.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	3578

There are a couple of hundred steps leading up to the chedi, flanked by a Naga staircase very similar to Doi Suthep temple, but even longer. But thankfully there is also a road leading up to the top. The stairs were colonised by temple dogs, which I try to avoid if I can, so I was especially happy not to have to climb stairs. When I came down, there were some novice monks chatting right next to the Naga, who let me take their picture and then helped me chase the dogs away from my motorcycle.

Name:	wat doi noi2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	3576

If you are in a temple mood, this could be a nice day trip together with Lamphun, the two are only half an hour apart. I also spotted another golden chedi on a hilltop on the other side of the river (the eastern side), which I had not heard of before, but later identified as Wat Phra Phuttabat Tak Pha (วัดพระพุทธบาทตากพ้า) in Pasang district. This visit will have to wait until the smoke clears up, no point in looking at views you hardly see anything of.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Re: Daytrip: Wat Phra That Doi Noi

Happy to hear you 'found' Doi Noi Betti!
    One of my local temples, and one of my most favoured!
    Wat Phra Phuttabat Tak Pa is another of my favourites, and is pictured among 'Temples of Northern Thailand'.

Still do not know when I will be back, illness , a stroke, holding me back, but Doilo is calling ever louder.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

hope you can get better soon and can come back to Doi Lo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khunlungphudhu View Post
    Still do not know when I will be back, illness , a stroke, holding me back, but Doilo is calling ever louder.
    Hope you get well enough to return very soon.

Thanks

today I wrote a blog about Wat Phrathat Doi Noi. I visited for the second time 2 weeks ago.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/...-chedi?blog=27

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your trips and photos, exploring CM.
    Beautiful photos !!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khunlungphudhu View Post

Also wish to add my hopes you can get back to Doi Lo soon.

If it is any consolation, I am in the same boat as yourself -and share the frustration you must also be feeling-though I have not been as unwell as yourself

Get well soon!

Thread Information