Page 1 of 113 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

New Members Please Introduce Yourself Here

If you are a new member, then please introduce yourself on this thread to other members. You can easily do so by writing in the "quick reply" box at the bottom or clicking on the "post reply" button. If you need help in posting a question then please click here for instructions.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

292054668 (11-09-12), ayubi22 (28-02-15), Coregunner (22-04-12), lorenzo.bruzzone (04-07-12), nannygoat (20-06-12), nell13 (26-05-14), sasi12345 (20-09-11)

Thanks

Re: New Members Please Introduce Yourself Here

I noticed I just got promoted to "Forum Member" but still consider myself new. I only discovered this forum 8 days ago and got excited right away. I love Thailand, its culture and people but can no longer go back there because of a rare progressive nerve disorder that actually started during my first three months in Thailand.
    This forum allows me to stay in touch, read other people's stories and experiences and share my own.
    I don't know if I should share this but what the heck,. I am a 75 year old grandpa with 5 children between my wife (panreyah ti song) and me and 17 grandchildren. But I venture to say that I am not your ordinary grandpa. I am adventurous, left Germany where I grew up, and immigrated to the US with my first wife and a 10 week old baby. There are lots of stories between now and then, too many to tell. I did go back to school here and got my BS and MS in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My last job before retiring was as computer center director at St. Olaf College in Minnesota. After I retired in 2001 my wife and I volunteered for the US Peace Corps. We were sent to Thailand to work along with 28 others with the Thai government implementing student centered teaching. During our 3 months long language, cultural and job training we lived with a large Thai family in NaLao, a small village near Uthong, Suphanburi province. On the last day there my wife had an accident and was taken to Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. We had to return to the US where she was operated on.
    We couldn't get Thailand out of our head and went back on our own to live in Chiangmai from 2002 to 2005. In 2007 we returned one last time for two months to work with a special program associated with Chiangmai University (MawJaw) teaching Burmese refugees. If you want to read our stories during that time go to http://www.ourbluemarble.us/New_Journey/ The Peace Corps story (button on top) is long and tedious. To read about our first three months in Thailand go to "Training". http://www.ourbluemarble.us/peace_co...g/training.htm

I'll stop here. And here is my real picture;

BTW, the Peace Corps required me to cut off my beard for cultural reasons but back in the US I grew it back in a hurry.

Last edited by Norb; 11-02-09 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typos

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

05Daytona (30-03-16), IAMX (18-06-15), KhunChin (23-06-13), Mahindrasarath (30-09-11), RickThai (07-05-15), sasi12345 (20-09-11), surin.g (07-07-16), TheSurgeon (02-07-12)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for introducing yourself. I hope that your stay with us will be filled with friendship and warmth.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

IAMX (18-06-15), Nymue (08-04-12), sasi12345 (20-09-11), synyztera (21-03-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,845 Posts

[QUOTE=Norb;169518[/QUOTE]

A very warm welcome to you, Norb. I hope you will stick around. It looks like you have a lot to contribute! When you have some free time, please drop by the chat room to meet the other members.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Yes, a warm welcome indeed Norb. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences, tedious and otherwise, in Thailand. Danke vielmals for your reply to my Rosetta Stone query.
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks

Very glad to meet you, Norb. 'You are welcome' as the screensaver on my PC says.

Thanks

Sawatdee ka!! (jejee) I'm new in here and I am Pearl Joy. Thai people call me khaimuk(that's how I spell it but I think it's) Kaimook...Am I right? I am staying here in Bangkok for almost half a year already / 6 months. I came here last August 2008. And I am happy in here even the truth is, it is hard to stay away from your family. But actually, I'm with My Mom and Brother. What I mean is my other family members...(my Father, my only sister and my youngest twin brothers). I want to learn Thai song. Can you help me?...Please give me specific beautiful song in Thai, the topic is about best friends to lovers or friends to more than friends. And I want Thai lyrics(0.0).

Thank You! I hope I can still stay in here!!!

Thanks

Welcome to the forums bempearl.
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum beampearl and It's good to see a new member like Norb in the older more exsperianced age group.

Thanks

Hi, my name is Robin from Malaysia. I'm new here. I'll be going to Bangkok this August with my family. I've been to Phuket a few times but this will be our first time to Bangkok, so I wanna make sure I gather as much info as possible before I go.

Thread Information