Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Members Please Introduce Yourself Here

Thanks Richard. I'll introduce myself by saying first that my wife and love Thailand and its people. We are lucky enough to have two Thai daughters in law - a fact my wife is especially proud of - one in London and one in Bangkok, together with one grandson who attends a bi-lingual school in Bangkok. Our annual trip to Thailand is our one big extravagance each year, but well worth it.

Our long time hope has been to retire to Thailand, thus in the medium term - next year or eighteen months - we plan to move out to Thailand for 6 / 9 months to understand if we can actually manage to live there full time. We spent some time in Chiang Mai in November looking at areas and were really taken by the City and the surrounding towns, particularly those beyond the outer ring road. All the ex pats we met - British and otherwise - seemed to love CM as a place to live and highly recommended it to us. We'd really like to know how others find CM as a place to live.

In readiness, we are starting to have Thai lessons; our daughter in law in London is a Thai language teacher and translator. At the moment this is all very daunting, but we are determined that we should pick up some understanding and feel that our inability to communicate beyond a very few words of Thai, allied with gestures and smiles, means that we are missing something.

We have traveled to several parts of Thailand, including Chiang Rai, Isaan, the Gulf coast, Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai, Ko Samui, Phetchaburi and will be visiting Phuket for the first time this Summer (courtesy of a competition run by TAT). We really look forward to the opportunity of seeing so much more of Thailand in due course. Driving from CM to Bangkok last November - due to the airport closure - and passing so much varied scenery and through new towns which until then had only been names, only served to whet my appetite even further.

Sawadee Krup!

Thanks

I am not exactly a new member here, but so far I have hardly ever made any posts. Over the years I might occasionally read some threads and by the time I consider posting an answer it is already out of date. At one stage I even forgot that I had ever registered as a member here - well, I put it down to old age.

I made my first trip to Thailand in October 2004 and this was supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience. But I was lucky that I always travelled with Thai friends from the first visit on and next month I will be collecting my thirteenth visa on arrival stamp in my passport. During the Tsunami I was sitting on the beach in Pattaya, I was in Thailand when Thaksin was kicked out of office, and last year I managed to fly back to England shortly before the airport came under siege and was closed for business. So far I have been to Krung Thep, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Samut Prakan, Ayuttaya, Ko Samet, Ko Chang, Roi Et, Khon Kaen, and a small place in Sakon Nakhon province.

I want to learn Thai and have already bought a lot of study material, but I am still stuck at the beginning. When I am in Thailand I always find so many things to do to leave any time for language studies, so I decide to do my studying at home, but when I am back in England there always seems so little time available - it is really a catch 22.

I would like to live in Thailand but will probably have to wait another twenty years minimum to be able to move here as a pensioner. So far I consider myself lucky that I have got some Thai friends who allow me to get a glimps of ordinary peoples life - something no package holiday could ever provide. I enjoy going to pubs in Thailand where they play life Thai music and on every trip to Thailand I buy some VCDs with Thai music - even though I do not understand a single word (yet).

TomUK

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome to the forums everyone. I hope you enjoy your stay here and that you will learn as much from us as we hope to learn from you about your experiences in Thailand and Thai language study. Please try and post any experiences you have had in relevant forums as this will help other members understand and appreciate Thailand a lot better. Travel tips are always welcome.

Thanks

Hi thank you for warm regard and hospitality

i want to know all about thailang exclusively about bangkok or pratunam market.
    the reason i join this forum because i want to go to bangkok on october 2009 to
    buy wholesale clothing and sale it in my country indonesia. maybe i will have a friend
    a local thailand so when i am arrive i already know about thailand. thank you

Thanks

My 13 yearold and I are going to Thailand in April! I have been 2x before but it was nearly 20 years ago so I'm sure lots has changed!

I want to make the most of our trip so I'm hoping to pick up tips, tricks and some Thai phrases to use!

Cheers

Karen

Thanks

Hello From San Diego California

I am from San Diego California. I want to visit Thailand soon.

I am an avid golfer and fisherman.

I am a chef and work in Alaska in the summers.

Thanks

I concidered myself as a newbie, only 2 months been around chatroom and forum , BTW I am happy to see people all around are interested in Thailand in whatever their reasons .

I normally go traveling as much as I can and love to post and upload my trips I went, showing your guys around!

Hope you would enjoy Paknam forum

Cheers

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are frequent visitors to Thailand. It's an economical and predictably enjoyable stopover during our annual trips from the U.S. to Taiwan to visit my in-laws. Actually, Taiwan is the stopover, but that's not terribly important. We're both relatively young, active, early retirees who have a burning desire to relocate permanently to Thailand in our retirement. We've visited 6 times and done a couple of longer trial-runs living in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. We'd like to investigate and arrange for a mid-term stay in the high country of Phetchabun Province this next time around. Having spent a few of the really hot months in Chiang Mai and Pattaya, the prospect of some cooler weather at higher altitudes is an intriguing one. Are any of the member expats residents of that part of the country? And, if so, would any of you mind fielding a few questions?

Thanks

welcome. please open a new thread in the "foreigners living in Thailand" section (or some similar name...), and if we can reply, we will.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
    have a burning desire to relocate permanently to Thailand in our retirement. We've visited 6 times and done a couple of longer trial-runs living in Pattaya and Chiang Mai.
    Hi I am relatively new myself and thoroughly enjoy forum and chatroom. A tip I want to share. I don't know how old you are but look into retirement visa if you want to settle in Thailand. Retirement visas are good for 1 year and a lot more convenient than other types. We did that when we lived in Chiangmai. PM me if you have questions or start a new thread.

Thread Information