PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Antibiotics Question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Antibiotics Question

Can I buy antibiotics over the counter at a pharmacy?

If so, how do I ask for this in thai? Is "bpa dti chee wa na" correct?

Thanks

Re: Antibiotics Question

The answer is yes,

however there are many kinds of antibiotics which treat different illnesses. So go to a drug store like Boots and tell the pharmacist your symptoms, they are usually very fluent in English.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Yes, one can get antibiotics OTC.

I always recommend Chulalongkorn University's pharmacy. They offer legitimate pharmaceuticals at very good prices. Branded drugs are reasonable and I've had nothing but success with their generics, when available.

English is spoken at Chula's pharmacy.

It's conveniently located, across from MBK Center.

http://cheapeatsbangkok.com/photos/thai/chula.jpg

Thanks

I will not assume that you will be confined to BKK, at least I hope not as I will not even go near the place,
    But go into any pharmacy and if you know the name of what you want, Like Ciprobayer, or Ciprofloaxin, and they know what it is and the Bayer will cost you 10X that the chemical generic will.
    they know the English names for drugs and their MIMS is in English so if they have to look up the chemical or trade name you can also read it.
    The only real problem here is to keep them from loading you up with anti-biotics when you go to a Dr. or hospital, they will even give you 2 or 3 that are for the same thing with a different name, they love to sell em.

Thanks

Not all doctors in Thailand love to sell antibiotics. It may be true with a quack or if the patients ask for it and is very demanding.

But it can happen if you go to drug stores and person who sells you is not a pharmacst which is very common in Thailand. Chulalongkorn University's pharmacy is a good place to go to.

Thanks

well i wonder if the names are generic or global for antibotics

Thanks

smart, if you know generic names, it would be much easier because tradenames can be totally different.

Thanks

Not all doctors in Thailand love to sell antibiotics. It may be true with a quack or if the patients ask for it and is very demanding.
    Where did you hear this??
    I have been to a few Dr.s here and most in hospitals because of my COPD and it acts up at times, I have been given at least 2 anti-B everytime I have been to petcharat hospitol in Phetchabun,
    The same only 3 at Private Medical Services at Suan Dok hospital in CM which is CMI hospitol and even at my hospitol in Phetchabun where my Dr, practises.
    It has happened even at McCormack hospital in CM.
    That is a complaint of every farang here, that there are way to many anti-B passed out and for everything, even virals.

Now do you say that I have had the bum luck to have seen only quacks while here, and does that include my own Dr. who is #2 man in the govt hospital here,

Arikasan,,says
    how do I ask for this in thai? Is "bpa dti chee wa na" correct?
    If you are in "amazing Thailand" then why these questions and if you are somewhere else why say you are here, it just confuses the issues.
    But if you are English speaking then why not use a language you are familliar with, if you use Thai and do not know what you said or how to say it ,it damn sure leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding and you do not need that when getting mdicines.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    Where did you hear this??
    I have been to a few Dr.s here and most in hospitals because of my COPD and it acts up at times, I have been given at least 2 anti-B everytime I have been to petcharat hospitol in Phetchabun,
    The same only 3 at Private Medical Services at Suan Dok hospital in CM which is CMI hospitol and even at my hospitol in Phetchabun where my Dr, practises.
    It has happened even at McCormack hospital in CM.
    That is a complaint of every farang here, that there are way to many anti-B passed out and for everything, even virals.

Now do you say that I have had the bum luck to have seen only quacks while here, and does that include my own Dr. who is #2 man in the govt hospital here,
    There are few things here I should make it clear. I am not talking about anybody in particular when I answer questions like this. I just give facts.

First of all, I did not say that you have had the bum luck to see ONLY quacks. However, not all doctors are a pulmonologist. Please do not take it personally.

Secondly, diseases are different. COPD is different than plain diarrhea or cellulitis that the doctors can use only one antibiotic to treat it. I agree that viral infection does not need anitbiotics. Having said that, COPDers are very sensitive to any changes in their breathing system. If they get infection, it can be really bad sometimes and they can end up intubated. Therefore, a lot of doctors are very careful and tend to have low threshold to give them antibiotics. Moreover, sometimes patients get superimposed bacterial infection after or along with viral infection. And that is also another reason for giving patients antibiotics. It is cost-effective.

Even some viral infections would need treatment i.e., flu.

Third, there is no optimal antibitoic regimen for an infection in COPDers. However, a broader antibiotic regimen will be used for patients who have risk factors for a poor outcome
    - older age (>65 years)
    - comorbid conditions (especially cardiac disease)
    - severe underlying COPD (defined as FEV1 <50 percent)
    - frequent exacerbations (three or more per year)
    - antimicrobial therapy within the past three months

Again the reason is that some treatment failures are probably related to ineffective antibiotic treatment (using narrow spectrum antibiotics or using single ineffective antibiotic) and that some patients cannot afford to experience treatment failure.

Antibitoics being used in COPDers with infection need to cover multiple organisms and that is why doctors use more than one antibiotics. Other antibiotics that can be used are doxycycline and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim), amoxicillin-clavulanate (Augemntin), azithromycin, cefpodoxime, cefprozil, cefuroxime, loracarbef, and the fluoroquinolones such as levofloxacin and moxifloxacin.

However, sometimes, quinolone medicine such as levofloxacin and moxifloxain can be given as a single agent and it works just fine but it is expensive.

Fouth, because anyone can buy antibiotics over the counter from non-pharmacy personnel, resistant organisms become one of the main problems in medical community in Thailand.

I hope this helps and like I said earlier. I am here to give facts.
    Last edited by syn; 15-02-09 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information