PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Antibiotics Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Antibiotics Question

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    I did. Still it has nothing relevant to this thread and my answer.But each story has 2 sides. We hear only from the patient on that blog.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by syn; 15-02-09 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks

If you are in "amazing Thailand" then why these questions and if you are somewhere else why say you are here, it just confuses the issues.
    But if you are English speaking then why not use a language you are familliar with, if you use Thai and do not know what you said or how to say it ,it damn sure leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding and you do not need that when getting mdicines.
    Because the local pharmacist does not speak english. Why would I be asking how to buy antibiotics in "amazing Thailand" if I wasn't in "amazing Thailand"? I thought it was a simple enough question. Jai yen yen.

Thanks

well I guess even if they don't speak English, they will understand "antibiotics". but I've never met a pharmacist who doesn't know English for simple medical terms.
    however, I think it is better to know what to ask for specifically, what works for you. for example, once in a while I get a nasty gastroenteritis (that's the one when you can't decide which end of yours you should stick over the toilet bowl), and I know that I should ask for "ciprofloxacin" because it works for me. and also medical carbon to adsorb the crap. they never offer that by themselves though I works miracles.
    acting out vomiting etc is also quite clear. :-) make sure there are no gaps in understanding. that can be a pain in the behind, that you believe you are understood when in fact you are not.
    I always google the names of new / unknown medicines before I take them just to triple check. that's how I found out I got tapeworm tablets instead of something completely different...... and it was an expensive private hospital.

Thanks

I never went to a Dr. the first 3 years I was here, then my Emphysema got bad and I did go with my wife to a doctor who was top doc in charge at the govt hospital here, he is not a lung man but did give me some stuff.
    Then I got a lung infection and could hardly get enough oxy to go out and get in th car and she had phoned the private hospital here and they had a pulmo man in the place and he would see me when i arrived, so we went and he took an Xray and gave me a bout 5 different meds, I think the bill was around 1300 baht, so I went home and not being a smart as Betti at that time, took what I was told to take,
    next morning saw no real improvement except I could not pee, so I phoned my medic in the states and told her, she wanted to now what I had taken, and when I read off the names of the meds she blew her top, one of the ones he had given me was mainly for women and not for men and never for an older man, I was 70 at that time, so I did qualify, and it had enlarged my prostate severely.
    So now I check GOOGLE on the names of the meds and what they are for and I always end up with things I will not take, am allergic to or know I do not need as they are for some thing I do not suffer from.
    And BTW, I have been dealing with druggists ever since I got here and I have no problems getting a drug if I just go into the shop and ask for it by name. I do not speak Thai and my druggists do not speak English, and when I try it makes many problems because they do not understand me and if I speak English it just makes things go better.
    A lot of times I phone my medic in the states and she suggests something, I go and ask for it by name, they then open their MIMS which is in English and finds what I want and then gets the Thai equiv, from the shelf and I go home.
    So trying to order in Thai when you are not a fluent speaker is silly to me and you will be to blame when any mistakes are made, as all meds are printed in English and Thai on the boxes and pharmacists do understand English enough to handle their jobs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akirasan View Post
    Because the local pharmacist does not speak english. Why would I be asking how to buy antibiotics in "amazing Thailand" if I wasn't in "amazing Thailand"? I thought it was a simple enough question. Jai yen yen.

Antibiotics = yah paa ti shee wa na OR yah kha chau. The latter one is informal. The first one is formal. Oh, I am jai yen. :-)
    Last edited by syn; 16-02-09 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks

The only real problem here is to keep them from loading you up with anti-biotics when you go to a Dr. or hospital, they will even give you 2 or 3 that are for the same thing with a different name, they love to sell em.
    I'm not surprised if hospitals and clinics see foreigners as walking ATMs as well. I always have indigestion problems in Thailand and in total, I'd been to see the doctors 5 times (once was for pre-employment check up for the work permit) within 4 years. They always seen to give me a bunch of medicines which I usually don't take and it always cost me above 1,000 baht. Once in a clinic, I saw they are able to accept my "prakan samkom" so I told the clinic helper (he was helping me pack my medicines) that I wanna use my prakan samkom and upon hearing that, he went back to consult the doctor and then came back to take out all those already packed medicines and changed to a total different types of medicines (fewer packs as well).
    Another time having a bit of time on my hand, I decided to use it at the hospital named on my prakan samkom. After waiting for 2 hours, the very young looking female doctor gave me a bottle alumi-milk.... which I could have easily bought over the counter for less than 30 baht.
    I'm not saying there's no good doctors in Thailand.
    Now, my dermatologist though, is a very good man as he'll suggest once a while that I should use the moisturiser but was never pushy to sell it.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    I'm not surprised if hospitals and clinics see foreigners as walking ATMs as well.
    Doctors don't hesitate sending Thais off with a big bag of pills either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Doctors don't hesitate sending Thais off with a big bag of pills either.
    Thats what I thought too but I had experience sending my Thai girlfriend to the emergency ward at around 3am because of food poisioning. She spent about an hour there on drip and some medications and cost only around 800baht! One week later I went to the same hospital for a stomach upset on normal day office hour and it cost me around 1,400 baht! So you figure it out.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

stomach upsets range from 300 baht to 4000 - the latter was when it got so bad I had to stay overnight on a drip.
    I'm always thinking, ok, at home I earned the same salary as here, but over half of it went to tax, compulsory social security and health, here I get almost all of my salary, but have to pay for the occasional trip to the hospital, pay an insurance, and save up for myself. for me, good deal so far.
    you can't have it all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    Thats what I thought too but I had experience sending my Thai girlfriend to the emergency ward at around 3am because of food poisioning. She spent about an hour there on drip and some medications and cost only around 800baht! One week later I went to the same hospital for a stomach upset on normal day office hour and it cost me around 1,400 baht! So you figure it out.
    Simple,... the pros don't work at night! Besides, the pharmacy probably was understaffed at that hour.

Many hospitals have do indeed have different pricing. Some even have different reception desks for Thais and foreigners.

In the States, one can also experience dual pricing. I know doctors that will charge one price for insurance claims, and a much lower price for cash, even below what the insurance company actually pays.

Thread Information