PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Telling time: How and which?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Telling time: How and which?

Hello!
    (sawasdee)

I've recently come to a chapter in my Thai book for learning how to tell time! But i'm having trouble remembering it, and its a stange system. Does anyone know how to maybe make it easier to learn?

Also, is it nesicary to learn each way to say everything? I noticed for 12:00pm theres 3 ways, and many in the afternoon have 2 ways, one usually is Bai(y) Jet Mong or Bai(y) Nueng Mong ~ Which is the best to learn or most common?

thanks!

~

Thanks

Re: Telling time: How and which?

It does seem like a confusing system, which is complicated by the different ways for referring to exactly the same time. Unfortunately, you need to know all the various ways, because Thai people will use them all in different situations.

You might want to create a mnemonic system to remember the various periods of the day. For example, the morning (, chao) is when you wake up to eat chow.

The early afternoon (, bai) is when you have to go buy more food (because you ate it all in the morning).

The late afternoon (, yen, "cool") is the cool part of the afternoon.

Evening (, thoom) is the time for going to the clubs to listen to tunes (okay, that one doesn't work so well ).

If you don't come back home until the wee hours of the morning (, tii), you're likely to get hit () by your significant other.

Hey, that's not bad for something I just made up!

Thanks

You may find this link helpful for learning the Thai Time System.

Thanks

While I was learning the Thai system, I used the 24 hour clock. While both me and the Thai person I was speaking with usually had to sit and count... we at least muddled through until I had learned it all.

Thanks

Just to confuse things, I've heard rumour that there are four systems not three. The fourth system being an eight hour clock, based around Yahm Neung (9pm), Song Yahm (midnight) and Sahm Yahm (3am).

As for the other three systems, A few years ago I surveyed some Thais for common usage, ie: at what particular time they prefered to use which system, their personal preferences differed but averaged out like this.

1am - tee neung - beat 1
    2am - tee song - beat 2
    3am - tee sam - beat 3
    4am - tee see - beat 4
    5am - tee ha - beat 5
    6am - hok mong chow - 6 chimes in the morning
    7am - jet mong chow - 7 chimes in the morning
    8am - song mong - 2 chimes
    9am - sam mong - 3 chimes
    10am - see mong - 4 chimes
    11am - ha mong - 5 chimes
    midday - thieng wan - midday
    1pm - bai neung mong - afternoon 1 chime
    2pm - bai song mong - afternoon 2 chimes
    3pm - bai sam mong - afternoon 3 chimes
    4pm - see mong yen - 4 chimes evening (or less common, bai see mong - afternoon 4 chimes
    5pm - ha mong yen - 5 chimes evening
    6pm - hok mong yen - 6 chimes evening
    7pm - neung tum - 1 beat
    8pm - song tum - 2 beat
    9pm - sam tum - 3 beat
    10pm - see tum - 4 beat
    11pm - ha tum - 5 beat
    Midnight - thieng koon - midnight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin View Post
    While I was learning the Thai system, I used the 24 hour clock. While both me and the Thai person I was speaking with usually had to sit and count... we at least muddled through until I had learned it all.
    when we lived in Thailand we never bothered to learn the Thai system - we thought it was too complicated. We got by using the 24 hour system just by adding the word "nalika" behind it. Everybody understood it. And if a Thai person gave us time using their system we always asked to give us "nalika". Official signs usually use the 24 hour system.

Thanks

I work with two Thais and their preferences are a little different from Paul's list.
    very importantly:
    this always goes as "bai mong", no number to give a clue.
    in the morning, they use "normal" time (as seen on the clock):
    8am - song mong ---> pet mong (chao)
    9am - sam mong ---> gao mong
    10am - see mong ---> sip mong
    11am - ha mong ---> sip-et mong
    afternoon and evening are the same as in Paul's list. evening is always the source of problems and what you have to be careful about because everyone seems to refer to 7 o'clock as "one". many not very good speakers of English transfer this to their English as well.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just sharing what I hear every day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I work with two Thais and their preferences are a little different from Paul's list.
    very importantly:
    afternoon and evening are the same as in Paul's list. evening is always the source of problems and what you have to be careful about because everyone seems to refer to 7 o'clock as "one". many not very good speakers of English transfer this to their English as well.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just sharing what I hear every day.

When talking about 1pm I've never heard a Thai person say Bai neung mohng. IMO It's always Bai mohng, eg. bai mohng khrueng 1.30pm or bai mohng 45 naathii 1.45pm. Sometimes I've heard a Thai person say "Bai neung" on it's own.

Also many Thais will refer to Midnight as "Song yaam" "Yaam" I believe is an old way of telling the time. "Yaam yen"...evening. "Yaam chaaw".... morning.
    "Yaam deuk" ....late at night.

Thanks

i feel this is the easiest way to learn the time, i learnt the long way 1st but found buy using the below way i never get a blank look from anyone only good response of being able to tell the time,
    so its fairly easy to learn midnight to midday as long as you can count 1 to 11 then just tian wun mid day and tian kune midnight (tian muen know one understands me)
    another tip is swadee don chow, buy and yen for good morning afternoon and early evening, on top of this i found learn the important times like meeting friends 8pm for most, song tomb 2nd hour evening the rest is easy, ontop of that the minutes, i remember it by when i tell the cleaner come back sip natee 10 minutes or nung shamong 1 hour so, basically tell the time then add the minutes after or half past is krung, sorry about my spelling but i hope the tips helps, it works really well here for me now that im in thailand enjoying using my new learnt skill,

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    very importantly:

Thanks

How do you write "Yaam" in Thai Script ???
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thread Information