PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Coconut monkeys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut monkeys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Coconut monkeys

A couple of weeks ago I was dozing in our front room during the mid-afternoon heat whilst the wife went shopping or to the salon. Or maybe both... We have a very narrow view of the road outside our house and just as I looked up through the open front door I thought I saw a monkey go past on a motorbike...

Lying in bed with my wife that evening having our nightly chat about the day I mentioned it to her. After assuring her it wasn't another of my various dreams about animals riding motorbikes (don't ask, it's a long story) and that the monkey was actually a passenger on the back this time she tells me, "Yes, we have monkeys work get coconuts, sometimes they go motorbike."

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Re: Coconut monkeys

That, my friend, would make an excellent photo

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I have seen a pic on the internet of a coconut picking monkey going to work on the back of a motorbike-I think it was Koh Samui or Phuket-can't find it though !

Thanks

Here is one in Indonesia: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10540862

David

Thanks

Hi

I was visiting wifes village near Roi Et. she kept saying she was going to make me
    coconut mango and sticky rice but I or someone would have to climb the trees to get fresh coconut. I kept thinking about doing it then one day a man on motor bike with monkey on back came down road. I yelled at my wife she came out stopped the man and then the next thing I knew we were all walking to the coconut tree's

that monkey went up the tree like "well like a monkey" he was on a long rope
    the monkey would touch a coconut then look at man if man gave the signal the monkey would twist off coconut and let it drop if no signal the monkey would move to another one.
    within a few minutes there must have been 35 or more coconuts on the ground.
    gave the man and his monkey 40 baht then took home 10 coconuts after giving the rest to nearby family and friends.

that night had fresh coconut milk and coconut mango and sticky rice so good.

Thanks

Monkeys shmunkies - here the sheepdogs go to work on a motorbike.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    Monkeys shmunkies - here the sheepdogs go to work on a motorbike.
    But can they pick coconuts?

David

Thanks

Welllll.... no, but can monkeys chase sheep at 30km/hour and leap a 7-wire fence?
    Ӽ

Thanks

At the very end, I think the guy tells the monkey to get on the motorcycle. So, the moto training may come with the coco training.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwC3HxZUXc4"]YouTube - Monkey's Coconut Business - Thailand[/ame]

Embedding has apparently been disabled, so you have to go to YouTube.
    Last edited by jaibaan; 06-03-09 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Monkey gets revenge on owner who forced him to climb trees for coconuts... by killing him with a well-aimed coconut

By Andrew Drummond

A monkey who tired of being forced to climb trees to pick coconuts killed his owner with a well-aimed coconut.

The owner died immediately from the monkey's throw from the top of a tree in the Thai Province of Nakorn Sri Thammarat, according to the Samui Express newspaper.

The newspaper said that Leilit Janchoom, 48, had beaten the monkey whenever he showed any hesitance to climb a tree.

The owner was insistent because he got the equivalent of 4p for every coconut picked.

But the monkey - it is claimed - apparently found the work boring, strenuous and unrewarding.

The monkey had to climb palms as high as 50 metres, said the report.

The victim's wife Uthai said they had bought the monkey for about £130.

'It seemed lovable. We called him Brother Kwan,' she said.

Daily Mail UK
    Last edited by Khun Don; 11-03-09 at 06:22 AM.

Thread Information