Thanks

Gor Gai Printable Thai handwriting practice sheets

Hi all! I'm new here and love the forum already. :-)

I'm an American who is just starting to learn how to read, write and speak Thai. I decided that I would begin by learning the Thai alphabet. I want to practice tracing letters of the Thai alphabet and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any free online alphabet worksheets that I can download and print out for practice.

I have recently purchased books, flashcards, CDs, etc. from buythaibooks.com and other resources. I purchased a kids handwriting book. [ To view, go to www.buythaibooks.com, click "Learn Thai" and look for "First Reader Package" ] This is exactly what I'm looking for except I'm hoping to find a version I can print out as needed.

I know that the fine people who run this forum promote, are supported by the sale of associated items, such as the beginners handwriting book that I purchased and the merchandise sold at www.buythaibooks.com, etc. I wholeheartedly support their effort and recommend people buy their products as I have. But in answering my question, some people may be less likely to buy the kids handwriting book I've mentioned. So I guess I will understand if no body can point to free material such as I am seeking.

The problem is, my wife is also learning and I didn't want to buy several copies of the workbook. But I also don't want to just practice each letter sheet one time. I don't have a copier so I can't conveniently duplicate the pages.

In America, you can find a multitude of free, printable worksheets (usually in pdf format) for teachers to use in their classrooms. Are there any resources like this for Thai teachers (or learners like me)?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Printable Thai handwriting practice sheets

The main problem here is that there doesn't seem to be a Thai font that is suitable for handwriting practice. By this I mean a dotted font that allows you to write on top of it. There are plenty of free English fonts and worksheets available. We have been looking for many years but haven't found anything yet. There are discussions about this on the forums.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is the next time you buy a book that you request a free "Thai handwriting sheet". These are laminated and allow you to write and wipe again and again. Just say that you are from the forum and I said it was OK.

In the meantime, we will keep looking.

Thanks

Richard,

I really appreciate your reply. I understand what you mean. Judging from my little exposure to the Thai language, it seems that there are even a lot of writing (and speaking!!) variations among Thais.

I'll be sure to request a wipe-off board when I next place an order. Thank you. Looks like I'll have to get a little creative, in the mean time. If I discover or create anything that might be useful, I'll be sure to share it here.

Sincerely,
    Scott

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    The main problem here is that there doesn't seem to be a Thai font that is suitable for handwriting practice. By this I mean a dotted font that allows you to write on top of it. There are plenty of free English fonts and worksheets available. We have been looking for many years but haven't found anything yet. There are discussions about this on the forums.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is the next time you buy a book that you request a free "Thai handwriting sheet". These are laminated and allow you to write and wipe again and again. Just say that you are from the forum and I said it was OK.

In the meantime, we will keep looking.
    I may have found what you were/are looking for: f0nt.com font

I also found this thread at thai-language.com really useful: http://www.thai-language.com/forums/...cabulary/t2201

Thanks

also some from the US Defense Learning Institute that your taxes paid for ! Easy enough to find..

example

ed: just noticed that this thread is 2 and a half years old! Hopefully the OP has got it sussed by now

Thanks

Thanks for the download. I will never ever understand why they use 'c' for จอ จาน.

Yes, it's old, but I thought the font was pretty cool. Actually, there are loads of great fonts on that site, all downloadable with the author's permission.

Thread Information