PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Buddhist beliefs
    Thanks

so happy!

Hey, does anyone know what we, buddist, believe how people were brought to Earth? Ex. Adam and Eve in the Christianity beliefs.

Vali Guest
    I know that many of the things Buddha taught turned out to later be PROVED by science (about the solar system/universe or whatever).

So I am fairly sure the belief is that it was just through the scientific way of evolution. Buddhism doesn't really conflict at all with science.

raphaela28 Guest
    The whole premise of Buddhism just makes way more sense to me than do most Western religions.

I mean Buddhism basically boils down to two things - be kind and try to help other people, and if you can't be kind or can't help them then at least don't hurt them.

Makes sense to me

Thanks

shocked

That still doesn't really answer my question.

Thanks
    Hey Anna, maybe this is what you're looking for - http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Court.../Creation.html ?

Thanks
    hmmm, this is really interesting. I just read the text Mike linked to, and it relates to what I have learned before. Even though this text focuses on the similarities between Buddhism and the scientific theories, the main elements are basically the same as what I was taught. Namely, the cyclical nature of universe: the periodic creation and destruction of everything, and how it is meaningless to talk about beginning and end in this type of worldview.

However, let me add one more piece of information that I think might be interesting. It is what Buddha said about the traditional creation stories that have beginning and end. (I don't remember the exact words, but only the main idea)

So it basically goes like this: there will be a time when all beings will leave the world and it will be destroyed. And those beings attain new forms in another place, in one of the heavens. They live there, shine in the light, etc. for a long time, and this world starts to evolve too and another, lower dimension will appear also. Initially, this "lower heaven" is empty; but when its time comes, one of the beings quits the body of the heaven and appears in the lower heaven. Now, it is being alone, and wishes for other beings to come and live with him. Meanwhile, as time comes for the others in the "upper heaven", they will abandon their bodies and appear in the lower heaven too. And so the first one will think that they appeared because he wanted them to, so he thinks he is the almight Lord, Creator of all things. And the other life forms will think similarly about him too, since he was there first. They will call him, say, Brahma.
    As time goes on, some being will quit his body there and be reborn into this world. Through meditation and other techniques, he might recall his former life, and thus he will think we were created by Brahma, eternal, almighty, etc. while we are short-lived, unstable life forms. And this is how the traditional idea of creation with a beginning and an end emerged, while in reality we are just moving from cycle to cycle, from world to world.

OK, that's about it. I don't know if I was able to convey what He said; in the original version it was much more interesting and rather funny.

Thanks

happy

Thank you Mike and Seeker for your reply!!

happy

Thanks for answering the question...that helped me out on my report a lot. I'm not sure i understand the relationship between the gods and buddha yet but i'm getting there.
    Thanks.

Thread Information