PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Rules of being a monk
    Lada Guest

question

I've been living in Thailand for 8 months as an excahnge student from Canada. I've noticed several times monks using cell phones, smoking a cigarette, listening to music, using an ATM, and buying food in a department store. I do not want to ask my host family or the Abbot of the temple which I visit weekly because i don't want to seem rude.
    There is also a young monk who has approached me several times on the street to practise his english with me. I feel really uncomfortable speaking with him because I don't know how I should act.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Lada

Just for my own reference, what city are you in? And which program are you with?

(I used to be an exchange student to Thailand, from Canada as well.)

Jonny

Thanks
    That's very interesting, I thought Monks were supposed to be ....err... how should I put it.... living of the land or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lada Guest
    Hey
    I'm staying in Ubon Ratchathani

I was told that monks cannot do these things. I was so confused because I see it so often and I feel that if I ask someone I would be telling them that monks were bad or something.
    I was also wondering if there was a reason why you see monks in different shade of orange robes. If anyone knows. Thanks.

Thanks
    I read that the boys have to do merit for their famil by becoming novice monks for some time. Maybe thats the case you are witnessing? Nevertheless, i agree that they should not be seen doing that, tarnishing the religion's image.
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Lada Guest
    Thanks for the reply but thats not the case. I see it quite often from monks of all ages. I was taught that they shouldn't but modern day has changed many things I guess.

Thanks
    Just Curious Lada, which village are you in? How is Ubon Rachathani like?
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks
    I've seen the same Lada, and quite often when I went in Panthip there were monks browsing the pirated software there! I've got a Thai culture book somewhere which talks about this, I'll see if I can find it and put the explanation it gives here.

Thanks
    Please do that Mike! I'd like to know too.

Thread Information