PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
From BKK airport to Hua hin
    Thanks

From BKK airport to Hua hin

Hi

It will be my first time in Thailand and I am currently organising my trip in detail. I will arrive in Bangkok on the 25 May and will travel to Hua Hin and Koh Samui then back to Bangkok for the rest of my trip (2 weeks). I will appreciate some help from this forum to make my trip go more smoothly and economically.

My first questions concerns Bangkok:

As my plane will be landing just after 6 p.m in BKK, I have thought about either spending the night in a hotel next to the airport then move on to the railway station in the morning to catch a train to Hua Hin.
    or...
    stay in a hotel next to the train station so it is easier in the morning?

I also heard that taking a van to Hua Hin can be another good option.

I am not sure what would be the best way and cheaper too. Can anyone advise me please on what steps I need to take and about costs?

Thanks

Re: From BKK airport to Hua hin

You can catch a bus from the Southern Bus Terminal to Hua Hin and they leave every 30 or 40 mins from as early as 5 am. I would say that would take around 3 1/2 hours journey time. I cant remember how exactly how much I paid, but it is very inexpensive. Around 100 baht. About £2

You could also arrange a mini-van which would cost around 500 baht, £10 (I paid this much in Oct 2008). Your hotel will arrange this for you.

I'm not too sure about the train, although I know one does go from Bangkok to Hua Hin. I have never used it.

If you decide to take the bus it wont really matter if you stay near the airport or the bus station as the service leaves frequently.
    Last edited by tomboR; 11-04-09 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. How do I get to the Southern bus terminal from the airport? Would you also know around what time is the last bus running?

The mini van also sounds good. Do you remember which company it is? So maybe I can have a look at the website for booking directly.

Thanks

Take a van from Victory Monument (presuming the demos will be over). Much easier than going all the way out to Southern Bus Terminal. 200 baht. Catch it near the Century Movie Plaza.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamlan View Post
    Thanks for the info. How do I get to the Southern bus terminal from the airport? Would you also know around what time is the last bus running?

The mini van also sounds good. Do you remember which company it is? So maybe I can have a look at the website for booking directly.
    The easiest way to reach the Southern Bus Terminal would be by Taxi.
    I'm sure there will be a bus service, but I don't know Bangkok very well.

The last bus leaves for Hua Hin sometime in the evening, I can't remember what time though.

I don't know the names of any mini-van companies, and I have never booked directly. I always book through my hotel or guest house. Whenever I travel South I usually use the public bus service but sometimes the vans are handy.

Don't worry too much, as you will find, there are agents everywhere you look in Thailand and 99.9% of them are legit.

I have never had any problems although I have heard of some people being ripped off for travel arrangements around Khoa San Road.

There will be many travel agents in Hua Hin also, so moving on to Koh Samui will be easy to book. Nearly every hotel, guest house and restaurant/cafe will be able to arrange transport for you.
    Last edited by tomboR; 11-04-09 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

You can get a train to hau hin. I have done it several times. But it is too late when you arrive at 6pm. You can either get a taxi to hulamphong, the main station in bkk, and there is a cheap guesthouse or 2 down the soi on the right hand side, and get a train in the morning. Or find any hotel and get a taxi to bang sue junction in north bkk. The train will be the same one but because trains take so long to exit bangkok you will be able to catch it later. Look on the website for state railways of thailand, southern line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomboR View Post
    The easiest way to reach the Southern Bus Terminal would be by Taxi.
    I'm sure there will be a bus service, but I don't know Bangkok very well.

The last bus leaves for Hua Hin sometime in the evening, I can't remember what time though.

I don't know the names of any mini-van companies, and I have never booked directly. I always book through my hotel or guest house. Whenever I travel South I usually use the public bus service but sometimes the vans are handy.

Don't worry too much, as you will find, there are agents everywhere you look in Thailand and 99.9% of them are legit.

I have never had any problems although I have heard of some people being ripped off for travel arrangements around Khoa San Road.

There will be many travel agents in Hua Hin also, so moving on to Koh Samui will be easy to book. Nearly every hotel, guest house and restaurant/cafe will be able to arrange transport for you.
    I guess I got quite worried due to many complaintsfrom tourists being ripped off very easily and that is why I prefer to research on prices beforehand and possibly book online whenever I can to avoid this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Take a van from Victory Monument (presuming the demos will be over). Much easier than going all the way out to Southern Bus Terminal. 200 baht. Catch it near the Century Movie Plaza.
    Do they run late at night? How long would it be by bus/taxi to get to the Victory monument from BKK airport? Can I book beforehand or it has to be on the spot paid in cash?

Thanks

I've just found out that the Lomprayah catamaran offers services (bus/boat) all the way to Koh Samui. I have seen there is a ticket called buffet ticket and I can use the same ticket to go to Samui by boat after my stay in Hua Hin.
    Has anyone used them before? How reliable is the service?

Thread Information