PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
OPINION: Anarchy rising

Thread: Anarchy rising

Thanks

Anarchy rising

From the New Straits Times, full piece here
    2009/04/13

Anarchy rising

WHAT happened to the Asean summit in Pattaya on the weekend has been described as an "embarrassment" to the administration of Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. It was much worse than that. For a mob of 2,000 protesters to muscle through riot police, smash their way into the venue, intimidate the foreign press corps and precipitate the hasty helicopter evacuation of half-a-dozen heads of government was nothing short of an affront. If the red-shirted protesters of the so-called "United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship" had wanted to "embarrass" their government, they could have done so without jeopardising the safety of the leaders of Thailand's Asean neighbours and partners.

In fact, they had already succeeded in shaming the Thai administration. Abhisit has been under siege since he took over last December -- legitimately, under Thailand's constitutional provisions -- upon the ouster of the previous Somchai Wongsawat government following weeks of protest by the yellow-shirted opponents of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra. Those protesters were quixotically exercising their democratic right to protest democracy itself; calling for a repeal of a democratically elected Parliament in favour of a mostly appointed assembly. No sooner had Abhisit cobbled together a workable party-political coalition, however, when pro-Thaksin mobs had donned their red tee-shirts and taken to the streets themselves.

Indeed, despite self-imposed exile to avoid a jail term for corruption, Thaksin remains the central figure of Thailand's seething unrest, using video links to whip his red shirts into that frenzied attack on the Asean summit. It could be said that such multilateral conferences have become fair game for violent public protest, as witness the now-routine riots accompanying summits of the G-20 and other multilateral groupings worldwide.

It's a crying shame that these wilding mobs can't see their way clear to achieving the ends they seek through the democratic process of elections. Instead, their anarchism is not just revealing the impotence of the Thai government and its security forces, but casting a dire pall on any prospect of orderly governance in the future.

Thanks

Re: Anarchy rising

your last paragraph.

"these wilding mobs" as you call them are actually asking for elections. that is their point.

( i do not agree however that elections yet again would be useful. i'd rather see some talking of the key people who can get things done)

Thanks

aaahhhh Thaksin.
    Call me niave but...............
    ex Prime minister/billionaire/international terrorist
    What's the story?
    Shouldn't he be in Jail by now?

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrlyn View Post
    aaahhhh Thaksin.
    Call me niave but...............
    ex Prime minister/billionaire/international terrorist
    What's the story?
    Shouldn't he be in Jail by now?
    Far too much of a story to be told here, but it is one that will run and run until he is silenced!
    With his perpetual rabble rousing, posturing and posing, all at an extremely safe distance, it should now be patently obvious that Khun Thaksin is not interested one tiny little bit in the Thai people, he does not love them, not beyond the power and wealth they so willingly gave him, Thaksin quite definitely does not Love Thai, had he done so he would not have stoked these fires so rigorously.
    He is, IMHO, a self serving, power hungry puppeteer, cinically pulling strings from a very safe distance!
    I feel I should add that when we are both at home, we are rather close neighbours!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thread Information