PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My first tree in Thailand - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My first tree in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    No matter what I do, things always just happen the way they want to happen, the way they are meant to happen, I have so little influence over this world. And what can you expect from a papaya tree that has taken roots and grown on a patch of concrete? Maybe the fruits will all die with it. Maybe there is still enough time. Maybe the tree is just going through a rough time and will recover. Anything.

And I'm just watching on, just as I'm watching people come and go, friends, beloved pets, my children, my colleagues, days, months, years.

Usually trees don't come and go in a couple of months. They last years, decades. It feels like I've gotten some fifteen years older watching this tree grow so tall in a few months. And maybe I have.

Things just happen the way they want to happen, and I am not holding on to a lot anymore.
    Sounds like a quote from some Sutta in Buddhist scriptures.

(Looked and looked for suitable smiley. Not finding a suitable one, finally chose this one as the next best.)

Thanks

My favourite breakfast in LOS is half of a lovely big ripe papya cut lengthways with the seeds scraped out then the flesh chopped slightly before sprinkling on some fresh lime juice. The flesh has a lovely buttery texture and is quite orange in colour. That was my breakfast almost every day for two years and I never got sick of it. It was great with toast and marmalade and a cup of hot coffee.

Hope yours has such nice fruit Betti!
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

toast and marmalade sounds good! I usually fill the middle with vanilla or chocolate chips ice cream.

Thanks

toast and marmalade sounds good! I usually fill the middle with vanilla or chocolate chips ice cream.
    Agreed thats one of the things I miss most with Thai breakfasts - no bread

Thanks

This time, I cannot fail to see the symbolism that Pailin pointed out in the fate of this papaya tree. It seems to be dying: not only the bottom leaves are turning yellow and falling off, but also the brand new little ones at the top. The fruits are getting bigger and holding on, but who knows what will happen now.

And, as all my life, I'm just watching what's going to happen. I don't want to do anything, try to prevent it, try to think about it.
    I built a real big rock garden for our yard here in Germany. There was definitely something missing to make it stand out more, to give it some feeling and attraction. So I purchased a chinese acorn tree for it ... kind of like the big german ones, just a mini-version that won't grow beyond 6 or 7 ft. tall. I'm mentioning this because it was an asian bred tree and when I went to fertilize it as you normally would fertlize trees twice a year in Germany ... exactly the same thing happened. Everything turned yellow, all of the leaves fell off, and the little thing looked absolutely horrid. Well, the next (this) Spring I was going to toss it out but unbelievably, something started growing out of its base again. Today, several months later, that chinese acorn tree is looking pretty decent once more. Someone mentioned fertlizer here and I just wanted to say that perhaps sometimes doing nothing might actually be exactly the right thing to do? The true test will probably be the second year. By then the tree itself and the environment around it will have "decided" if the strength (hardened & well developed roots) to carry on is there. Good luck ...

Thanks

I have not updated the thread for a while because the tree slowly keeps growing (about 30 cm in a month), and now there are leaves only at the very top (level of first floor). but the fruits seem to have stalled in growing or ripening, it's like time has stopped. I'll see what happens but now I don't wait for my crop anymore, it will be a bonus if there is anything.

Thanks

One thing you could try is to cut the tree at a resonable level . It is hollow inside. You would have to "bandage" the cut with plastic or a number ten can covering it to keep the moisture out. The tree will produce side shoots,which in turn ,will produce more fruit.

Thanks

thanks for your advice but I don't cut trees. they grow and fruit and die or do whatever they want to by themselves.

Thanks

It took me by surprise that after all these months, the fruits turned yellow. All of them, at the same time, even the little one that stalled a couple of months ago. The birds have found it anyway so that one is for them. Now I broke off the biggest fruit (it surprised me that it snapped very easily, I had been worried what on earth would be strong enough to cut it). Now it is in my kitchen and I hope the ants won't find it. How long before I can cut it open, or how does it work from now on?

In the meantime, the tree is still growing steadily, it is now just a foot away from the electric wires. However, there are no more fruits. Plenty of flowers at the top, some of them start to transform to fruits, but then fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papaya tree7.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	5556 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papaya tree8.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	5557

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papaya fruit3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	5558

Thanks

HI Betti, you can eat it crunchy if you like, you can wait until it gives a little when slighty pressed with your finger. or if you like chill it after it ripens some more ,sliced lenghtwise ,scrape out the seeds and eat with a spoon. Some people like a squeeze of lime or lemon.

Thread Information