PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The Siam Tulip Festival of Chaiyaphum 2009
    Thanks

Jun 1, 2009 - Aug 31, 2009
    Pa Hin Ngam National Park, Thep Sathit, Chaiyaphum

The unique geographical landscape of Chaiyaphum Province in the northeast of Thailand gives rise to a range of natural attractions of exceptional beauty. Of these, the fields of pinkish-purple Siam Tulip, or "Dok Krachiao", come in to full bloom in the early part of the rainy season from June to August. Also commonly called ’patumma’, ’bua sawan’ (heaven lotus), or ’bua bok’ (the land lotus), the Siam Tulip is a member of the ginger genera - Curcuma or Zingiberaceae.

Source : Tourism Authority of Thailand

Photos and information of Pa Hin Ngam National park and Sai Thong National Park

Budding beautiful!
    By Phoowadon Duangmee
    DAILY XPRESS

Balls may shrink, but when the tulips bloom in Chaiyaphum's Sai Thong Park, the sheer cliff drops are forgotten

The sheer cliffs of Sai Thong National Park go by odd names, such as "Pha Ham Hod". For non-Thai speakers who really want to know, that's Shrunken Balls Cliff.

That sort of thing won't make the park a man's dream destination, but if you stand at the edge of the precipice in question, the adrenaline thrill is terrific.
    Below is a vast, idyllic valley, with houses that look like matchboxes against the curling backdrop of the high range.

"Sai Thong National Park should be more famous, but it's in the shadow of its sister, Pa Hin Ngam National Park," says a ranger, somewhat enviously, as he guides us along a trail.

Both parks in northeast Chaiyaphum province share a reputation for producing endless fields of Siam tulips - the wild curcuma plant known as dok krajiao.

Big sister Pa Hin Ngam has had more promotion, but that helps Sai Thong, because there's no crush of campers, even when the tulips are in bloom.

The park offers one of country's best cliff-walking routes, apparently designed for an easy amble over three kilometres, through four fields of Siam tulips and other wildflowers.

The path from the car park to Ham Hod leads first to a field of tulips whose buds have clearly gone ahead and bloomed earlier without waiting for us.

The second field is a grassy slope layered in white Siam tulips. Cameras in hand, we circle around, looking for the winning shot.

"The best is yet to come," we're cautioned. "Save your batteries!"

The best indeed it is: a huge green meadow sweeping down the valley. Popping up everywhere are thousands upon thousands of pink Siam tulips in big, beautiful bloom.

"Are the flowers edible?" I ask the ranger. It's not a crazy question - the Siam tulip is a member of the ginger family. The young shoots of some species are tender and sweet.

"Well, not this type of tulip," he replies. "If the plant were edible, there'd be nothing left to flower. The young shoots would all end up in someone's kitchen."

XTRA
    >> Sai Thong National Park is 70 kilometres from Chaiyaphum.
    >> The best time to see the wild blooms is June and July.
    >> The park has a few lodges with basic facilities.
    >> Bring your own food and cooking gear for an overnight stay.
    Photos from Thairath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tung dok krajiew (siam tulip).jpg 
Views:	6314 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	5046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dok krajiew (siam tulip).jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	5047  

Thanks

thumbs up Re: The Siam Tulip Festival of Chaiyaphum 2009

Hi Mel, wonderful post. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to add these parks to my must see before I die list.
    " The present is an outcome of the past which will have bearings on the future."
    Bhuddhadasa Bhikku 1906-1993

Thanks

Re: The Siam Tulip Festival of Chaiyaphum 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
    Hi Mel, wonderful post. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to add these parks to my must see before I die list.
    Mike, you're welcome. I guess this list must be very long .

Thanks

thanks for the photos. hope to see that whenever i come back in Thailand..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Mike, you're welcome. I guess this list must be very long .
    Sad but true, Mel. That's the downside of living in Thailand but working in a different country. I ain't no spring chicken so I have to hurry up and retire so I can be home fulltime.
    " The present is an outcome of the past which will have bearings on the future."
    Bhuddhadasa Bhikku 1906-1993

Thread Information