Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Kindle 2 and Kindle DX Now in Thailand

According to this brief newspaper article in the Bangkok Post, two e-book readers will be finally launched in Thailand this month at Commart X-gen next week. These are Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. I am not sure of the price yet but I will be checking them out. I have been waiting for an e-book reader for a while now.

Five of the latest innovative gadgets will be launched at Commart X-gen Thailand 2009 next week.

The highlight products are Aiptek Pocket Cinema V10, a small projector that can be held within your hand; two models of e-book reader - Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, one of the most popular gadgets on Amazon and eBay; Panasonic DMC-G1, the smallest interchangeable lens SLR digital camera; and Brando's USB Dock with speaker.

Other new products to be available at the show include Lenovo IdeaCenter C300 all-in-one desktop PC, new IdeaPad S10-2 netbook and IdeaPad U330 notebook; Samsung i8910HD, a smart touchphone that runs on Symbian; Gateway fashion desktop PC and notebook from US; and the slimmest external hard disk from A-Data.

In addition to the latest innovative products, many promotion campaigns are also available for a variety of IT products ranging from netbooks to notebooks as well as digital cameras.

Commart X-gen Thailand 2009 will be staged at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre during July 2-5 from 10am-8pm.

Thanks

Re: Kindle 2 and Kindle DX Now in Thailand

Is there any update available to this news? I would love to have a first hand review of the Kindle DX. I'm waiting to see if Apple really does launch its new big screen Itouch, before making a decision. Also, there's the Iliad ebook reader series to consider. The main issues for me are product reliability and whether or not it can read pdf files without messing around with conversion.

Thanks

I'm looking around for eBook readers currently and I came across kindlethai .com
    There is a Bangkok Post article which talks about this site, you can find it by Googling "kindlethai bangkok post"
    (I can't post link to either of the above because the forum won't let me)

I haven't managed to find any other sellers of eBook readers within Thailand, if anyone knows of one I'd be interested to hear.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The article you are talking about is this one:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/tech...kindle-pioneer

And there is also this...

Will Kindle kill the paperback star?

Writer: JAMES HEIN
    Published: 10/06/2009 at 12:00 AM
    Newspaper section: Database

I got my hands on a Kindle 2 recently and I must say I'm impressed. It's not the two-screen, paperback-sized unit of my dreams but it's certainly a good alternative to reading a novel.

Before you get your hopes up, the Kindle is currently only available to those with a US shipping address, who will visit the US at least once to do the wireless registering and who have a US credit card to make the purchase.

Assuming you are in all of these categories the unit is perfect for the traveller. It has an e-ink screen that is perfectly readable in direct sunlight so you can sit in the park and read comfortably. It is easy to use and comes with a built in dictionary you can use to check the meaning of a word in real time. It is heavier than a paperback but not uncomfortably so.

The device allows you to select font sizes so it's good for both young and old. You buy a book on Amazon and download it to your PC and then to the Kindle via USB. You get a cute 100-220 charger or you can charge with a regular USB charger or from your computer. The unit will handle over 1,000 books and you get about 4 days' reading between charges.

Kindle books are generally less expensive than the paper versions and if you count shipping costs it should pay for itself quite quickly if you are a regular book reader. If you are a student you can load up your textbooks (that are available), do searches and even make notes. The unit plays MP3 files but that will chew up your battery life a lot faster.

There is a larger version due out soon for those who like to read magazines and textbooks. The new unit will also handle PDF files natively. I read a book in about four hours and found it easy and comfortable to use. All we need now is for Amazon to open it up to the rest of the planet.

Three days after I wrote the above I have finished reading four novels and put a bunch of stuff on the Kindle. I must say that the only fault I have found with it, apart from not having a touchscreen, is that I have been using it too much. You can load the complete works of people like Dante, Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe and Einstein onto the unit for less than $3 each in some cases. Dictionaries, textbooks, cookbooks and anything else, hundreds of them if you like. It's like having a library in a device slightly larger than a thin paperback.
    I haven't decided which one I want to buy yet mainly because I haven't actually seen one in the shops. I hear Panthip Plaza might have some and will try and check there later.

On the TV forum some people have recommended buying on the internet these devices:

BeBook E-Ink reader http://mybebook.com - shipping cost $15 and took 8 days to arrive
    Sony PRS-700 http://bhphotovideo.com -

The BeBook gets some good reviews.

Thanks

I actually own an ebook reader. It's an ebookwise device. It cost about 4,000 baht, but after having it shipped to a friend in the US and then here and buying a special charging adapter and paying import duty the total cost was 11,000 baht. The good points about this gadget are it is fairly easy to convert doc and txt files to the needed format using free software and using the device is very easy. It fits very snugly in my left hand and I can go to the next or previous page by pushing one of two large buttons that are easily reached by my thumb. In other words, it can be used with just one hand. Battery life is 10-12 hours with the settings I prefer. It has a backlit touch screen with stylus.

The negatives are I would prefer a larger screen that the 5.5 inches on my model, the memory card is an old design no longer sold in Thailand and converting pdf files is almost impossible.

In conclusion, what I've got is good value for money and perfectly OK until I find something really special. I'm beginning to have my doubts about both Kindle and Iliad because of some very bad reviews. The foxit reader has some better reviews, mainly because the foxit company has made some good programs for use with pdf files, but I would prefer a bigger screen than just 6 inches. I am waiting to see if Apple announces the launch of a new larger screen Itouch or similar device next month before making a decision.

Thanks

For the life of me I can't see the advantage in using kindlethai.com. I still need to go through the same hassles to order the device and must have a credit card. Paying a substantial premium of 23,500 baht for no advantage to someone who doesn't need Thai language fonts or assistance is pointless.

Thanks

Richard, thanks for posting the extra information.

David, I understand where you are coming from about kindlethai, but I suppose that for some having local support is worth a premium. For what it's worth, I believe you can collect and pay cash so a credit card isn't actually required. Good luck with your search.

I ended up buying a Sony PRS-505. So far I think it's absolutely wonderful and it has met all expectations, but I've never even seen an epaper device before now so I'm probably quite easy to impress .

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim22 View Post
    I ended up buying a Sony PRS-505. So far I think it's absolutely wonderful and it has met all expectations, but I've never even seen an epaper device before now so I'm probably quite easy to impress .
    Where did you buy it, and if on the Internet, how much duty did you have to pay when it arrived?

Thanks

I found someone selling them locally:

www masterpower co th - select Products -> Home & Office

The website shows a range of models for sale but I was told this was the last unit and it sounded to me like they weren't continuing to sell ebook readers.

Thanks

I visited Pantip Plaza over the weekend and made a point of checking as many stores as possible on all floors. I didn't see any ebook readers. Actually, I didn't see anything there of interest and those DVD vendors are a real nuisance.

Thread Information