PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Trip to Chanthaburi 4-7 July 2009
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Trip to Chanthaburi 4-7 July 2009

I am on a trip to Chanathaburi at the moment with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). They are showing the media around some of the tourist attractions in this area including four temples that have four distinct styles. I seem to be the only international media here as all the others are from local tv and also newspapers. I have a van to myself with a TAT offical from the International PR section. It may seem strange that way but foreign media are often interested in different things. Like yesterday when I asked them to stop so I could take some pictures of dragon fruit growing alongside the road. I have wireless internet in my hotel room so I will post a few pictures as and when I get time.

More information at www.ThailandGuidebook.com >>>

Here are some of my pictures from DAY ONE.

Chao Lao Beach is a popular beach though deserted when compared to Bangsaen and Pattaya. You can rent glass bottom boats to go out and view the coral.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

RickThai (29-12-14)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Trip to Chanthaburi

Wat Khao Sukim is about 20 kilometres north of the town. Built in 1966, it houses a large collection of religious items and valuable antiques donated by the public. On display are wax sculptures of over twenty Buddhist monks highly revered by the public. They are in the process of building a multi spire golden chedi which from the artist impressions will look very stunning.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The Cathedral of Immaculate Conception on Chanthanimit Road on the river bank is the largest Catholic edifice in Thailand. Built in 1909, it is of Gothic architectural style. The original tall roof was taken down during World War ll to make it less conspicuous as a possible target. As you can see it us uinder renovation. At the front of the building you can see that they will be putting back the two large and tall spires. There has been a catholic church in this location for 300 years. It is interesting to read that only 83% of Thais here are Buddhists. About 4% are Christians, 0.3% are Muslims and 11% are other religions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

DAY TWO

We had some heavy rain last night. By the time we went down to breakfast it had cleared up. So, we decided to head to the second of four temples in Chanthaburi that are part of a tourist promotion for Khao Phansa. We arrived just in time for the morning activities at the temple. We were the only people there. Five minutes after we arrived it started raining very hard again. So, we decided to head back to the hotel to wait it out. Chanthaburi has very different weather to Bangkok. In some ways it is like down south as it can rain hard all day long.

Chanthaburi is a coastal province between Rayong (Koh Samet) and Trad (Koh Chang). An hour has passed and it is still raining hard. The Thai media didn't wake up as early as us and so they are still waiting to leave the hotel. Hopefully it will clear up soon. We have one more temple this morning in the city, Wat Mai, and then this afternoon we are heading out to Laem Singh District. This whole area is of historical importance. There are links to both King Thaksin who rallied his troops here after the fall of Ayutthaya and to the French who confiscated some of the land around here back in 1893. There is also a French prison.

Wat Khet Na Boon Ya Ram is a Chinese/Vietnamese Buddhist Temple in the city.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Trip to Chanthaburi 4-7 July 2009

Looks hard work, Richard-van to yourself etc!
    Have they taken you out to "moon city" yet-the gemstone workings? Worth the effort for any visitor- you may see a gemstone being found!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	5171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	5172  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	5173  

Thanks

Chao Lao is my favourite beach in Thailand. We try to get there at least once a year.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Looks hard work, Richard-van to yourself etc!
    Have they taken you out to "moon city" yet-the gemstone workings? Worth the effort for any visitor- you may see a gemstone being found!
    Do you know whereabout it is? I cannot see it on any tourist brochure.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

In the Ban Kha Cha area-South West of the city -it is mainly small time stuff -single prospectors as pics.There are also polishing shops in the area, of course
    Suggest you talk to shop owners in "Gem Street"-though probably a taxi driver will know enough to take you out there.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 05-07-09 at 11:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I bumped into a couple of famous people around town this afternoon. The first one I nearly missed. I saw a couple of Thai people taking pictures. I didn't take much notice. They then got on two motorcycles taxis and turned to head back my way. That was when I noticed the lead guy was the movie actor Ananda Everingham. On the motorcycle following him there was a guy with a video recorder. They were probably recording some kind of documentary.

The second one was at a local temple. I cannot remember his name but he is a famous fortune teller. He had three tv cameras following him.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is the continuation of DAY TWO. We had heavy rain during the morning and so we stayed indoors at the hotel until lunchtime. Then we continued with our tour.

This is Wat Mai and is the third of the four temples we are visiting. It is in Amphoe Muang. The earlier one today was a Chinese/Vietnamese temple. This is a Thai Buddhist temple of the Mahayana sect. The one we saw on day one, Wat Khao Sukim was a Thai Buddhist temple of the Theravada sect.

Thread Information