Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pictures of Dragon Fruit Growing on Cactus

During my trip to Chanthaburi, I saw many plantations growing dragon fruit. I thought you might be interested to see this strange fruit growing on the cactus plant. I am trying to buy the plant here in Chanthaburi but no luck so far. I might have to ask a farmer for a cutting. The yellow flower that you can see in the pictures below only blooms at night. It then wilts during the day. The cactus likes growing up walls or poles. It has roots on the cactus leaves that helps it to cling to the surface of a pole.

More information:

How to Eat Dragon Fruit
    How to Grow Dragon Fruit

Thanks

Re: Pictures of Dragon Fruit Growing on Cactus

Great pics, its a strange fruit but nice all the same.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am posting some more pictures from this morning of the dragon fruit growing on a cactus. I took these during my recent media trip to Chanthaburi Province. This first picture is a better one of the flower as you can normally only see it during the night. This farmer had both varieties of white flesh and red flesh. I was having trouble finding the cactus plant in the market so this friendly farmer kindly gave me some cuttings. Now I have to grow them! I will post pictures here soon of my attempts. Which reminds me, I need to post an update picture for the pineapple. I failed with the lemon grass due to the monsoon rain. My second batch are in a drier location.

Thanks

I have seen red ,pink , and white dragon fruit. It seems the lighter the color it becomes a bit more sweet. ( Dragon fruit is not really a very sweet fruit.)
    Curious question is who are the land owners for the farms?

Thanks

I had white dragon fruit in HK, its sweeter then the red ones I had here in the states

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is the latest picture of my dragon fruit cactus. It started growing like this about 2-3 weeks ago and has grown very quickly since. It is not growing quite in the way I thought it would. The offshoots don't look strong and they are growing heavier each day. Is there anything I should do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    It is not growing quite in the way I thought it would. The offshoots don't look strong and they are growing heavier each day. Is there anything I should do?
    Often plants grow thin and long stems or branches when they don't have enough light (in order to reach the light faster). They can also be lighter in colour (less chlorophyll). This often happens in the forest too: if trees are very dense, they will grow very tall, and often only the top branches survive.

I would recommend putting the plants in a similar position that they were where you got them from. Judged from the pictures they were in full sunlight before? Maybe put them somewhere where they get more light. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it's often an issue. And now that they're established, I'm pretty sure they can deal with more heat than before when they didn't have any roots yet. (They may need a bit more water though).

Good luck!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Definitely ,they will need support to grow straight up or to lay over something. By the way , can you tell what color the fruit will be by the color of the flower?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have the plants at the front of the house facing south. It is not continuous sun but they do have it. However, where they are it is a bit sheltered because of the heavy rains we have at the moment. I presume they don't want too much rain. One of the pots that was out in the rain hasn't made any sign of growing yet.

Thanks

In that case I would go for rcalaimo's option - tie them onto something. They looked like they were in a dark place in your picture, that's why I suggested the light issue. But if they're facing south it should be ok I think. Maybe they will grow stronger with time, when they can lean against something.
    life is wonderful!

Thread Information