PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Library Ship visits Bangkok again
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Library Ship visits Bangkok again

Library ship books fifth visit

By: ACHARA ASHAYAGACHAT
    Published: 9/07/2009 at 12:00 AM
    Bangkok Post

The education ship Doulos returns to Thailand this month, marking its fifth visit since 1987. The 95-year-old ship will dock at Bangkok Port, Berth 1, at Klong Toey from July 30 to Aug 23.

HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has confirmed her visit to the ''floating bookshop'' next month. The princess also went aboard during the ship's first visit to Thailand 22 years ago.

The Doulos also visited Thailand in 1990, 2001 and 2006. The last visit saw as many as 60,000 people tour the ship and buy books collected from around the world.

The ship, with its slogan ''Bringing Knowledge, Help and Hope'', is run by GBA Ships (previously known as Good Books for All), a private, non-profit, charitable organisation registered in Germany in 1977.

It has stopped off in Hong Kong and is now in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. After the Bangkok visit, it will head on to Malaysia to complete its Asian tour

Thanks

Re: Library Ship visits Bangkok again

I've never herd of this ship coming to Australia, I wonder what languages the books must be in if it's just traveling to Asia.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paul_au View Post
    I've never herd of this ship coming to Australia, I wonder what languages the books must be in if it's just traveling to Asia.
    It visited 5 ports in Australia a year ago including a near 3 week stay in Sydney between August 21st - September 8th 2008.

Later this year it will again be in Thailand at Phuket between November 18th - November 27th 2009.

It has a website at www.doulos.org/ which tells both where it has been and the upcoming schedule.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here are some of my pictures of the library ship that I took this morning. Tomorrow is the last day so if you want to visit then you should head over to Klong Toei Port. On Sunday it opens at 2 p.m. Most of the books are for Christians.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBy_fU1bQA"]YouTube - M.V. Doulos in Bangkok[/ame]

Here is a video that I shot of the ship.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Richard Barrow;192601]

Here are some of my pictures of the library ship that I took this morning. Tomorrow is the last day so if you want to visit then you should head over to Klong Toei Port. On Sunday it opens at 2 p.m. Most of the books are for Christians.

The Doulos is a fine old lady. We visited her a couple of years ago when she was tied up at Sattahiip. On that occasion she was moored directly behind the Navy's aircraft carrier, the Chakri Naruebet . They have their own currency system on board. We found the range of books on board to be quite good.

A member of the engineering crew told me that her life span may be coming to an end as maintenance costs are rising and causing concern as she ages.

I remember that he said a major refit would be necessary to keep her seaworthy and that was going to involve a great deal of money for what is essentially a charitable non profit organisation. At that time no decision had been made.
    The "Christian" thing is IMO low key. As we came down the gangway we were handed a small leaflet conveying the "message."
    My wife and our sons then went on board the aircraft carrier. I, as a potential spy or saboteur, was banished to the dockside, although they didn't mind me taking photographs of the ship and her crew were happy to pose as well.
    I really admire the Thai people's ingenuity, a lady had set up a som tam stall right next to the gangplank of the aircraft carrier and was doing a roaring trade to the public and crew alike.

Thread Information