Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cock Fighting Stadium in Samut Prakan - สนามกีฬาไก่ชนเทิดไท

I am not really that interested in cock fighting, but it is an important part of Thai culture and history. We have had several people asking questions about it before but I have never had any answers for them. However, apparently there is a cock fighting stadium in Samut Prakan according to a press release I just received.

สนามกีฬาไก่ชนเทิดไท อ.บางเสาธง - Cock Fighting Stadium in Bang Saotong District
    มหกรรมพัฒนาไก่ชนไทย - Festival for the Preservation of Thai Cock Fighting

All I know is that it is this Thursday morning. The Minister of Interior will be there. At present I have no idea where the stadium is located. If anyone knows, then please send me a message.

------------------------------------------------------------
    www.Paknam.com

Thanks

Re: Cock Fighting Stadium in Samut Prakan - สนามกีฬาไก่ชนเทิดไท

How terrible, this is definitely one place I would not go, even if you payed me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Right up to the last minute this morning I didn't think I would be going as no-one seem to know where the stadium was situated. However, a cameraman for the local cable t.v. told me that he had found out the location. To cut a long story short, I eventually found the stadium but it turned out to be the wrong one. There was no-one there. I was about to give up when a news team from Channel 5 turned up. They were obviously lost too with the wrong information. We managed to get some directions and I followed their car. We went very far, north of Bang Na-Trad highway and up to Luang Phaeng Road. We turned left towards Suvarnabhumi Airport. Turning right would have taken us to Klong Suan Floating Market. We finally arrived 20 minutes late. I cannot find this place marked on the map nor on Google Earth. It must be relatively new.

Full story: www.paknam.com/latest-news/thai-cock-fighting-festival.html

As you can see from this photo, it is a big stadium. The English name is Bangkok Cockpit. The VIP enclosure is to the right and it is obviously air-conditioned.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Samut Prakan Province จังหวัดสมุทรปราการ

Blog Entries
    Thanks

These are some of the VIP guests at the event this morning. Starting with Chavarat Charnvirakul (ชวรัตน์ ชาญวีรกูล) the Minister of Interior.

This is the infamous Newin Chidchob (เนวิน ชิดชอบ) who was once friends of Thaksin before switching sides. He is banned from politics though he is obviously still influential.

This is the famous Ad Carabao who has a very popular rock band. He mainly does country music. He is very active in promoting cock fighting.

This is Mr. Kwanchai Wongnitikorn (นายขวัญชัย วงศ์นิติกร), the Governor of Samut Prakan Province.

The final picture is Pol Maj-Gen Chisanupong Yuktathat (พล.ต.ต.ชิษณุพงศ์ ยุกตะทัต) the Provincial Police Chief.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Explore Samut Prakan - www.Paknam.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The gentleman in the white shirt is Dhanin Chearavanont (ธนินท์ เจียรวนนท์) he is the owner of CP and is mainly responsible for the popularity of cock fighting in recent years.

I will post some more pictures of the cock fighting later this evening. Obviously if you don't like this sport then don't come back to see any of these pictures. I will also be posting a video.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Explore Samut Prakan - www.Paknam.com

Thanks

I noticed from the photograph - it seems mostly an adult male audience. I suppose there is a reason for that.

Thanks

Most of the roosters are not just taken from the chicken coop but are raised to fight. I am not sure how they do it in Thailand. In Hawaii (which it is illegal to fight mainly because of the amount of money changing hands) You can see little tents with the cocks tethered to a pin like in a small encampment. A knife is strapped to the fowls leg and it usually involves the loser being killed. The winner ,of course, goes on and is likely to have higher returns if it wins again. The owners take a lot of care in raising and training their birds.

Thanks

I thought cock fighting was illegal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 900 Posts

There is at least one licensed cockfighting venue in each Province, though it was temporarilly banned during the bird flu scare a few years ago. However I understand that whilst betting goes on that aspect is officially illegal.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,648 Posts

Don't think cock fighting itself is illegal, because they have international events in Bangkok-but the gambling part surely is!

Thread Information