Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Erawan Museum and the Outer Ring Road

These are satellite images from 2002 and 2009 showing the area around The Erawan Museum and the giant three-headed elephant. The Kanchanapisek Outer Ring Road now passes to the north of the elephant.

www.paknam.com/tourist-attractions/erawan-museum.html

---------------------------------------------------

Samut Prakan Province จังหวัดสมุทรปราการ

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Erawan Museum and the Outer Ring Road

These two pictures were taken in 2003 from up inside the elephant looking north towards Bangkok. They hadn't even started preparing for the outer ring road at this time. The main entrance to the museum near the top of the picture is now a road. The small bridge to the right of the picture leads to the new front entrance. The building beyond with the green roof was demolished to make way for the outer ring road. In the picture below, the red roofed building on the right was also demolished to make way for the new road. The strange thing is, there was always a plan to build the outer ring road through here. I heard a rumour at the time that the owners built the elephant on this location in order to stop the road. But in the end they just bulldozed his red roofed house.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

These pictures were taken in 2005. The first two were taken in March 2005. You can see that they have already started to prepare the way for outer ring road. But nothing has been demolished yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final two pictures here were taken towards the end of the year. You can now see that they have already moved the front entrance to the side. They have also bulldozed some houses to the north of the park.

Thanks

Well some of my personal photo's from 2002 were taken from that foot bridge crossing the main road in the above photo, How things have changed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here are the latest pictures showing what the view looks like today.

This is showing the green archway and entrance to the Erawan Museum. You can see how much the trees have grown up.

-----------------------------------
    Samut Prakan Province

Thanks

this is what makes Bangkok so depressing.... all that concrete, roads and elevated highways and underpasses and bridges for hours and hours and hours. feels like a trap.
    I know it would be even worse without the roads, the traffic jams are already horrible, but it is still shocking.
    that elephant should be somewhere out in the countryside. near Muang Boran or something, at least. it is so dwarfed and spoiled by the roads. I really really liked it but the area is just not right for something like this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The elephant was actually there first but I do agree with you. It is far better to be in the middle of no-where. However, it still dominates the landscape from afar. There are some great views of it as you drive along the Kanchanpisek Road and also from tall buildings.

Thanks

yes I understand it was there first, but you said they had known the ring road was coming so they could have picked a better location well in time, no?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

From what I heard, Khun Lek had it built there in order to stop the building of the outer ring road. The southern stretch was certainly delayed for many years. However, I am not sure if this was the only reason.

Thanks

Well even before the ring road was there, it was on a busy road, but at least you could see it looming over the tops of houses in the near by back streets, now that ugly looking on ramp is in front, it has taken a little bit away from it's magnificence.

Thread Information