PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Malaysia/Singapore attractions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Malaysia/Singapore attractions

Hi all.

When doing my VISA runs every 90days while in Thailand, I will mainly be crossing the boarder to Malaysia. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest areas to go or places to visit on a 1 -2 day trip??

I'd also like to goto Singapore as my grandmother and grandfather lived there for 10years when my grandfather was based in the Navy and my uncle was even born there So i'd love to see where they lived and any other sites or places of interest.

I know 1 - 2 days isn't a long time to sight see, but any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Malaysia/Singapore attractions

Hi there,

I am assuming you will be crossing the border at Dannok-Bukit Kayu Hitam. If that is so, you could spend a day or two in Penang, which I would highly recommend if you have never been there.
    Singapore is quite a long way from the border. 2 days would probably only cover the time to get there and back. I'd say take at least a 3 day break if you want to get to Singapore. At the town of Hatyai you could get bus tickets to Singapore and Penang.
    Penang sights - The Heritage listed guildhouses and clanhouses eg. Khoo Kongsi, Kek Lok Si temple, Gurney drive at night for the excellent food. The main highlight in Penang is FOOD.
    Singapore - plenty to do. Sentosa Island, Orchard Road The Esplanade, Boat and Clarke Quays, the Asian Civilisation Museum etc...

All the best.
    Last edited by Kanomjeen; 01-09-09 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Addendum

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Penang sounds an excellent idea-I have a friend from UK who went out there to teach several decades ago-he is still there!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the info people. I think Penang is a must see place then also, i'm re-thinking my strategy, i'll probably stay about a week or so, i mean, it's not as though i'm rushed for time, and i may aswell make the most of the time i am there and see and do as much as i can

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

=) As a Singaporean, I personally feel Little India, including its irresistable Masala tea and Ginger Tea (Teh A-lia) is the most authentic local heritage site not to be missed, after which there is Waterloo street; both can be done in a single day walking trip, if you start out earlier e.g. 7am... Chinatown is too tourisy and commercialized now to get the real feel, for me... =)

The Peranakan, National Museum and Fort Canning Hill are good places to visit too... If you go on a Friday night, the former 2 allows free entry from 7pm to 9pm.. The latter is free entry at all opening hours. These 3 can be visited in a single day as they are all in the same vicinity. And if you can walk to Little India from either museum (30mins)... Have fun and welcome to our Little Red Dot =)

Thanks

=] LOL..even i myself don't even know that little india have Masala tea and Ginger Tea (Teh A-lia)..And i dun like Ginger Tea so i will skip on that keke

Even though i'm a singaporean...i feel that there are not much attractions around here. Basically surrounding us are buildings etc..please correct me if i'm wrong. Oh and nowadays Chinatown is too tourisy and commercialized now unlike the days in the 1980s...
    Last edited by Jasonkoh82; 03-09-09 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

I was wondering why nobody mentions Clarke Quay as a place in Singapore worthwhile visiting. As it's a stone's throw from my hotel, it used to be my favorite for a relaxing boat ride around the Merlion, followed by dinner alfresco and a little shopping in the vicinity. What has become of it; has it been transformed ?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

=) Hi Marie, Clarke Quay is still around and yes, with a bitsy facelift haha, and so are the wonderful bum boat rides. It has its own MRT station now, "Clarke Quay" so this makes it more accessible as compared to previously when its nearest MRT station is City Hall. There are a couple of 'new' watering holes there too e.g. The Cannery etc...

The bum boat rides, especially when the ride was taken during sunset, and people watching are my most memorable part of Clarke Quay, :-)

If chilling out features big on one's list of to-dos, yes, Clarke Quay should be a must-do one's itinerary =) If one is a die-hardie of walking heritage trails (like me haha), Jalan Besar, Jalan Kayu and Balestier are not to be missed. Here's the link to downloadable free printouts for the trails:

http://heritagetrails.sg/content/243...sar_Trail.html
    Last edited by yy; 03-09-09 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Thanks

=) Hi Jason,

Thanks for your appreciation of the Masala tea :-) I think the Masala tea and Ginger Tea in Little India still taste better; maybe a more authentic taste? Haha You should try the Teh A-Lia one day, it's really good =)

As a proud Sinaporean =) =) =), while recognizing the challenges we face in land restrictions for nature and heritage conservation, and for recreational parks that may be of interest to our much-needed tourists, I think that Singapore has still managed to retain much of her old-world charms in places like Balestier, Farrer Park, Amoy Street and even some parts of Stamford Road, and is also working very hard on constructing modern recreational facilities to appeal to tourists e.g. The Singapore Flyer and Esplanade.

Although I have lived here all my life, there are still places of interest here (but mostly historic landmarks, I will say! =) ) that I have not explored yet or which I will certainly like to return to visit again... :-)

Thanks

=) ... Did anyone mention Chek Jawa yet? But must check for the low-tide schedule...

Here's the link to the low-tide schedule:

http://chekjawa.nus.edu.sg/

Thread Information