PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Comings and Goings by Boat
    Thanks

Comings and Goings by Boat

Friends,

I am having some difficulty understanding how to get on and off boats and ships. Please help me understand the following and if there are any other related terms:

ลงเรือ [V] embark; get into (a vessel); board (Lexitron)
    ขึ้นเรือ (is there such a term meaning "embarkation"; Domnern-Sathienpong shows the term as part of a phrase "to land a fish")
    ขึ้นท่า (Not in Lexitron or Domnern Sathienpong)
    ลงท่า - one might think that this was "disembarkation" but Lexitron has " royal ceremony of giving the king's son a bath in a river (or giving the king's elephant a bath in a river)"

I'm stretching here, but might the terms for embarkation and disembarkation be a function of whether the dock was higher than the boat (as when climbing down from a canal dock into เรือหางยาว) or where the boat is higher than the dock (as when climbing up or down to a steamship)?

Please help; I am stuck on this boat . . .
    Last edited by davidandbui; 03-09-09 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks

Re: Comings and Goings by Boat

You can just simply think of how each action has done.

ลงเรือ - embark (when you climbing down into a boat, if the dock was higher than the boat). Actually, this is a correct word for embark which can be used in most case, but thinking of the action, the explanation in parenthesis would fit with the usage of this word more.

ex. พรุ่งนี้เราต้องไปลงเรือที่ท่าพระจันทร์

ขึ้นเรือ - embark (if the ship is higher than the dock). It can be used when you pull or bring someone or something from water, river, sea or ocean up to the boat too.

ex. เรือสำราญเป็นเรือใหญ่ดังนั้นจึงต้องไปขึ้นเรือที่ท่ าเรือสัตหีบ
    หน่วยกู้ภัยช่วยกันนำศพที่พบลอยน้ำมาขึ้นเรือเพื่อนำ ไปตรวจสอบที่นิติเวช

ขึ้นบก or ขึ้นฝั่ง - disembark (up from boat to shore)

ex. เดี๋ยวเราไปขึ้นบก(ขึ้นฝั่ง)ที่ท่าช้างกันนะ

ขึ้นท่า can be used in the same meaning of ขึ้นบก or ขึ้นฝั่ง, but mostly used when talking about goods.

ex. สินค้าล็อตนี้เพิ่งจะขึ้นท่ามาเมื่อวานนี้เอง
    พอก้าวขาขึ้นท่าปุ๊บ ก็เห็นเธอมายืนรออยู่ตรงหน้าเลย

Thread Information