Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

‘Big Trouble in Thailand’ (TV Show from UK)

This is a blog by Andrew Drummond:

Currently expats in Thailand are a little bit up in arms about a documentary series going to air in the UK over the next few weeks called ‘Big Trouble in Thailand’ and it’s based on the activities of the British Thai Tourist Police Volunteers and what we commonly know in the British newspaper business as, well, ‘Brits in the shit’. And its taken two years to get off the ground.

“This is going to be more salacious crap’. ‘It’s going to make Thailand look bad’. ‘It’s going to make us all look bad’. ‘Another nail in my coffin. My wife thinks I just come here for a golfing holiday’ These sort of comments are going up on expatriate internet forums.

Does it do all that? Well it certainly makes some people look bad. It certainly makes some tourists, British and others, look profoundly stupid. But as for tourism, my guess is that young Brits having seen the series will be gagging to get here….and they are the film’s demographic! …’Thailand? Dull it isn’t ‘ should be the TAT’s new slogan.

Of course that might sound all a bit like the famous Pattaya short-time bar owner, who after being exposed in a British Sunday newspaper put up a sign saying ‘Still just as sleazy as featured in the News of the World’. Seriously though, one can’t really get indignant at a series which reminds us of just how tourism has developed in Thailand.

Actually the series, which goes out on the ‘Bravo Channel’ in the UK next week, is a first class presentation of many of the different facets of youth tourism in Thailand. And, as it is based on the British members of the Tourist Police Volunteers, we know which side we are going to see. It’s not going to be old grannies asking police for directions to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.
    Continued: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/...teers-exposed/

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: ‘Big Trouble in Thailand’ (TV Show from UK)

Yes i have seen this (or something similar, but probably this) advertised. As have my family and friends.

In usual media style to try and make it look like rivitting TV, a short display of drunk, agressive and violent behavior from larger louts is shown. Now my family and friends are all, "have you seen this?" "you're not still going to Thailand alone are you?" "be careful" etc etc

I just hope not all Thai people think all farangs are like this. I'd hate for people to think i am the same as some of the people shown in that documentary. It's embaressing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

I find in the UK that if it is in the newspapers or on TV it is usualy showing the negative side of Thailand. I wish they would show something positive like all the beautiful festivals and places which are available for all to see if you have a holiday there. So many people have asked me if it as bad as it is portrayed in the press and on TV because they would like to visit. All those i have reasured have returned from holidays with memories to last a lifetime, and yes, they have, or do intend to return again. They have all said also, they now know why i always return there, and that there holidays far exceeded there expectations. So please, more positivity.

Thanks

Well I'm still positive about Thailand, It's a great place.

Thanks

HI

People will watch this TV show for the same reason some people like to see car wrecks and go to fire's. Does seeing a bad car wreck stop you from driving No but maybe makes you drive better for a few hrs or a couple of days.

after seeing this show and I am sure it will show a bunch of drunken and stupid
    tourist's getting into all kinds of stupid crap maybe some people will behave better
    on holiday to thailand.

Thanks

well we can only hope thats the case Khonrai.

Thanks

Well like most sensationalistic media reporting, they mainly emphasise the negative rather than the positive. I believe most tourists are not drunks, there the minority.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdpbVZEdS8"]YouTube - Big trouble in tourist Thailand ( The Trailer )[/ame]

This is the trailer. Episode 1 has already been aired and someone has uploaded to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/suirside1

Will this help things in Thailand or will it just make things worse?

Thanks

Here it is, part 1 of episode 1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474"]YouTube - Big trouble in tourist Thailand - episode 1 (part 1)[/ame]
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

As Andrew Drummond stated....’Another nail in my coffin. My wife thinks I just come here for a golfing holiday’ So what does he come here for? Maybe the documentary about these sleaze bags is justified? They are certainly out there in big numbers, those people who mind about this documentary, don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Thread Information