PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Very confused here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Very confused here

Ok, so my company gave us some online credits to take some online lessons and of all the humanities and language courses aside from the usual business courses, Thai is the most relevant and well, I guess interesting for me at the moment so I'm taking this course from Rosetta stone, or what is it called I can't remember but definitely a Rosetta word for the course name.

The course is quite wonderful in the sense that it lets your learn language just like when you learnt your first language as a kid so I guess its quite effective and I could grasp what they were trying to teach going thru the first few parts of the first lessons of the course. Ok, I'm talking a little too much so heres the major problem:

They let you understand how to listen to these words like Puchai for Man and all that stuff and then after this whole set of words is learnt, they expect you to be able to write without teaching the alphabets. So I really need help with the alphabets. I've read about the Thai alphabets in Learningthai.com but I totally have no idea how it works.

1. For example, the alphabets from learningthai website. Why does a single alphabet have two syllable or two sounds? Like Kor kwai? And how does it work to chain these alphabets together so that they form a word? Is it similar to English pronunciation like Afghanistan we put together those that sound like it? e.g. A=Ah f=f Ghan=gan etc.

Basically my problem is I don't know the system on how the alphabets work to form up words and so on and I can't really progress on my online course lest I pass the writing test which sucks and the websites I've looked around only tells stuff like there are 44 consonants, how many vowels and how many tones but never really tells on how the system works so can anybody explain to me comphrehensively(because I'm not very bright) or at least tell me or link me up?
    Last edited by Leejon; 13-09-09 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Re: Very confused here

good question, I'm really looking forward to the replies, as Ive learned the alphabet but not progressed much more as need now to learn/remember the letters so the writing/reading process can Begin,its like a puzzle i still have many missing peaces yet to learn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leejon View Post
    1. For example, the alphabets from learningthai website. Why does a single alphabet have two syllable or two sounds? Like Kor kwai? And how does it work to chain these alphabets together so that they form a word? Is it similar to English pronunciation like Afghanistan we put together those that sound like it? e.g. A=Ah f=f Ghan=gan etc.
    Maybe this recent post by Palin will explain it beter for you. http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/show...339#post194339 But basically when you see Kor Kwai it is like 'A is for Apple' etc. when learning English.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply but say if the Kor in Kor Kwai stands for the letter and the Kwai stands for a noun, how do we use it to form a word? Do we only use the Kor and chuck the Kwai aside when we want to form a word?

The system is really hard to grasp and I'm already having a hard time trying to figure out the basics, I can't imagine whats going to happen when I move on to the intermediate part.

Do you have any other links for me to read up on because I can't seem to find any threads related to alphabets.

Thanks

"kor" is the name of the letter. but it simply makes a "k" sound in words, just as the "c" in the English word "cat".
    all consonants and vowels stand for individual sounds, just like in English. in addition, vowel combinations make new vowels (like "ea" or "ai" in English).
    does that help?

addition: my students were using this the other day in their Thai class

http://www.dekgeng.com/thai/lesson1.html
    http://www.dekgeng.com/thai/lesson3.html

there are consonants on the left and vowels on the top. if you click on their combination, you can listen to how syllables are formed.

Thanks

When learning English:
    A for Apple
    B for Boy
    C for Cat
    D for Dog
    E for Egg
    F for Fish
    G for Girl
    H for Hand
    I for Icecream
    J for Jet
    K for Kite
    L for Lamp
    M for Man
    N for Nose
    O for Orange
    P for Pen
    Q for Queen
    R for Rain
    S for Sugar
    T for Tree
    U for Umbrella
    V for Van
    W for Water
    X for Xmas
    Y for Yellow
    Z for Zoo

When learning Thai:
    ko kai (chicken)
    kho khai (egg)
    Ǵ kho khuat (bottle) [obsolete]
    kho khwai (water buffalo)
    kho khon (person) [obsolete]
    Цѧ kho ra-khang (bell)
    ngo ngu (snake)
    ҹ cho chan (plate)
    cho ching (cymbals)
    ҧ cho chang (elephant)
    so so (chain)
    cho choe (bush)
    ˭ԧ yo ying (woman)
    do cha-da (headdress)
    ѡ to pa-tak (goad, cattleprod spear)
    ҹ tho san-than (base)
    tho nangmon-tho (Mandodari, character from Ramayana)
    tho phu-thao (elder)
    no nen (novice monk)
    do dek (child)
    to tao (turtle)
    ا tho thung (sack)
    tho thahan (soldier)
    tho thong (flag)
    ˹ no nu (mouse)
    bo baimai (leaf)
    po pla (fish)
    pho phueng (bee)
    fo fa (lid)
    ҹ pho phan (tray)
    ѹ fo fan (teeth)
    pho sam-phao (sailboat)
    mo ma (horse)
    ѡ yo yak (giant)
    ro ruea (boat)
    ԧ lo ling (monkey)
    ǹ wo waen (ring)
    so sala (pavilion)
    so rue-si (hermit)
    so suea (tiger)
    պ ho hip (chest)
    lo chu-la (kite)
    ҧ o ang (basin)
    ١ ho nok-huk (owl)

David

Thanks

Ok I do understand a little bit more here so is it right to say that I should first recognize all the consonants and vowels and understand what sounds they make and then understand their system of combining the consonants and vowels before i start to understand how words are formed?

Thanks

Yes.

Imagine I am on the telephone and am spelling a word to you and I tell you the first letter is 'kho' which Thai letter would you write on the paper, , , , , , or ? You wouldn't know, but if I said kho khwai you would know I meant similarlly in English you may not sometimes hear the diferrence between N and M but if I said N for Nose or M for Man you would easily tell which I meant.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    When learning English:
    A for Apple
    B for Boy
    C for Cat
    D for Dog
    E for Egg
    F for Fish
    G for Girl
    H for Hand
    I for Icecream
    J for Jet
    K for Kite
    L for Lamp
    M for Man
    N for Nose
    O for Orange
    P for Pen
    Q for Queen
    R for Rain
    S for Sugar
    T for Tree
    U for Umbrella
    V for Van
    W for Water
    X for X’mas
    Y for Yellow
    Z for Zoo

in Thai, the names of the letters are fixed. in English, they are not - you could say b for bear or boat or banana. in Thai, you don't use other words than the ones listen to identify the names of the letters.

Thanks

Ok I think I get it a little. Am I right to say that in order to identify the alphabets that we are saying for example , we have to say Ko Kai because it might get mistaken for other alphabets that might have the same pronunciation and that the label "chicken" is stuck to this alphabet for identification purposes but when is used to form words, it is only pronounced Kor?

So it actually is the same thing with English for the alphabets jus that the identification is a little more complex?

Thanks a lot David and Betti for constantly providing me with the replies

Thread Information