Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,473 Posts

Foreign tourists drops 14.1%

Foreign tourists drops 14.1%
    Writer: BangkokPost.com

The number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand over the first eight months of this year went down 14.1 per cent from the same period last year to only 8.9 million, deputy spokesman of the Democrat Party, Atthawit Suwanphakdee, said on Saturday.

Mr Athhawat attributed the declining to impacts of the Songkran riots by the anti-government red-shirts in April and the pandemic of the A (H1N1) flu virus.

However, he was confident that the situation of the tourism sector will improve in the fourth quarter of the year as the number of foreign arrivals is increasing.

He called on both the red and yellow-shirt people groups to think of the country and refrain from rallies that could worsen the country’s ailing economy.

Thanks

Re: Foreign tourists drops 14.1%

I recently asked a lady if she ever thought about visiting Thailand.
    Her responce " NO WAY, I would'nt take the risk of being accused of carrying drugs etc and end up in a Thai prison".
    You have to admitt, the media coverage of corruption etc, does'nt paint such a great picture and encourage people to travel to the land of smile's.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mr Athhawat attributed the declining to impacts of the Songkran riots by the anti-government red-shirts in April and the pandemic of the A (H1N1) flu virus.
    I had forgotten all about that until he mentioned it just now. Was it really this year? Politicians obviously have long memories. Tourists don't. Stop playing the colour game and look for the real reasons that we have tourist declines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47
    I recently asked a lady if she ever thought about visiting Thailand. Her responce " NO WAY, I would'nt take the risk of being accused of carrying drugs etc and end up in a Thai prison".
    That is funny as that is the exact same reason why I didn't want to visit Thailand 15 years ago. Maybe Mr Athhawat should look at tourist safety instead of trying to blame Thaksin and the opposition.

Thanks

the economy does not help at the moment either.apart from the problems thailand is having

Thanks

Most of the worlds tourist destinations have declining arrivals now. The real question is if the tourists will return to Thailand once recovery starts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I did read a report that not all regions of the world are in recession and in fact, we are not seeing a drop in tourist numbers from some countries such as India.

Thanks

Perhaps many regular tourists to Thailand were among those stranded during the airport siezure. I know that if I got stuck somewhere due to political unrest, I would be very reluctant to return.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Well Australia is the only developed country that has not gone into recession, It's still in growth mode, I would think more Australians would be travelling to Thailand than ever just to save money as traveling at home can cost more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Speaking with people that have no connection to Thailand the one thing that many of them mention is the airport closure and neither of the above.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    I did read a report that not all regions of the world are in recession and in fact, we are not seeing a drop in tourist numbers from some countries such as India.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au View Post
    Well Australia is the only developed country that has not gone into recession, It's still in growth mode, I would think more Australians would be travelling to Thailand than ever just to save money as traveling at home can cost more.
    phuket is over run by drunk Australians and pattaya has more than its fair share of Indians in groups of 5 and up going to bars not even wanting to buy a bottle of water!cheap charlies so no help to the economy there, ive been to australia 5 times and loved the place but over the last 2 years seen what they country folk are like abroad its really changed my views on them,,

Thread Information