Results 1 to 6 of 6
29-09-09, 05:04 AM #1Paknam Web Online Staff
News Editor at "Thailand Scribe"
- Join Date
- Nov 2005
- Thanked 1,094 Times in 741 Posts
Isan gets set for Typhoon Ketsana
Isan gets set for Ketsana
Philippines appeals for international help
The Meteorological Department is warning 10 northeastern provinces they will bear the brunt of Typhoon Ketsana, which is moving swiftly towards the coast of Vietnam and is due to hit Thailand tomorrow.
The provinces bracing for severe weather conditions are Amnat Charoen, Buri Ram, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Ubon Ratchathani.
The typhoon is moving westward at a speed of 15 kilometres an hour.
"More rain is likely with isolated heavy to very heavy rainfall," the Meteorological Department said yesterday.
"People in risk areas along foothills near waterways and in lowland areas should beware of flooding conditions during this period."
Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Anucha Mokkaves said flood relief officials could handle the coming storm and all provincial agencies had been alerted to monitor the situation closely.
The Irrigation Department was also discharging water from its reservoirs to prepare for heavy rains, its director-general Chalit Damrongsak said.
Anont Sanitwong na Ayutthaya, director of the Climate Impact Science and Technology Centre, said Thailand would face heavy rain but not strong winds from Typhoon Ketsana because the storm should ease while it passes over Vietnam and Laos.
Typhoon Ketsana is now moving away from the Philippines after it devastated many parts of the country. The death toll there has reached 140.
The Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman said no Thais living in the Philippines had been affected by the typhoon after it hit Manila.
The Philippines appealed for international help yesterday and warned a new storm could strike this week, with tens of thousands of citizens still displaced from their homes.
At least 32 people were reported missing, and authorities were still trying to verify scores of unconfirmed deaths, including in hard-hit Manila and nearby Rizal province, where there were reports about 99 more people had died, Defence Secretary Gilbert Teodoro said.
Tens of thousands of Philippines residents began a massive clean-up of the carnage left by Typhoon Ketsana, which struck on Saturday, bringing the region's worst flooding in 42 years and triggering deadly landslides.
The extent of the devastation became clearer yesterday with mud-covered communities, cars upended on city streets and huge numbers of villagers without drinking water, food and power.
Since the storm struck, the government has declared a "state of calamity" in metropolitan Manila and 25 storm-hit provinces, allowing officials to use emergency funds for relief and rescue.
The homes of more than 450,000 people were inundated. About 115,000 of them were brought to 200 schools, churches and other evacuation shelters, officials said. Troops, police and volunteers have been able to rescue more than 7,900 people, Mr Teodoro said.
He told a news conference help from foreign governments would ensure the Philippine government could continue its relief work. Government welfare officials have begun focusing on providing food, medicine and other necessities to those in emergency shelters.
President Gloria Arroyo has said Ketsana and the flooding were "an extreme event" that "strained our response capabilities to the limit but ultimately did not break us".
The US has donated US$100,000 (3.3 million baht) and deployed a military helicopter and five rubber boats manned by about 20 American soldiers from the country's south, where they have been providing counter-terrorism training. The United Nations Children's Fund has also provided food and other aid.
Officials expected the death toll to rise as rescuers penetrate villages blocked off by floating cars and debris.
The 42.4cm of rain that swamped metropolitan Manila in just 12 hours on Saturday exceeded the 39.2cm average for all of September, chief government weather forecaster Nathaniel Cruz said.
08-10-09, 10:06 PM #2
Re: Isan gets set for Typhoon Ketsana" The present is an outcome of the past which will have bearings on the future."
Bhuddhadasa Bhikku 1906-1993
08-10-09, 10:49 PM #3Paknam Web Online Staff
Forum Advisor for Isaan Forums
- Join Date
- Nov 2004
- Thanked 772 Times in 517 Posts
08-10-09, 11:24 PM #4
09-10-09, 11:30 PM #5
Re: Isan gets set for Typhoon Ketsana
Hope the victims tide over this unfortunate event the best that the situation permits...
10-10-09, 05:42 AM #6
Re: Isan gets set for Typhoon Ketsana
Deluge in rain-soaked Philippines kills over 160
By HRVOJE HRANJSKI, Associated Press Writer Hrvoje Hranjski, Associated Press Writer Fri Oct 9, 11:58 am ET
MANILA, Philippines – Driving rain on the heels of back-to-back storms triggered dozens of landslides across the northern Philippines on Friday, burying more than 160 people, washing away villages and leaving almost an entire province under water.
The latest deluge brought the death toll to nearly 500 from the Philippines' worst flooding in 40 years after storms started pounding the country's north on Sept. 26.
More than 160 people were killed in landslides in Benguet and Mountain Province along the Cordillera mountain range, about 125 miles (200 kilometers) north of Manila, officials said. Residents were jolted awake by the rumbling sound of mudslides and floodwaters tearing apart the saturated soil and washing away homes.
Rescuers wading through sloshy mud from nearby Bagiuo city retrieved at least 162 bodies, bringing the total deaths in the two provinces since Typhoon Parma struck on Saturday to 174, said regional disaster relief officer Rex Manuel. At least 48 others were missing and 120 were pulled out alive.
Nearly the entire village of Kibungan in Benguet was buried under tons of mud and debris, Manuel said. Some 45 bodies were recovered so far. Rescuers used pulleys and cables to transport the dead they retrieved from piles of rubble.
TV footage showed the bodies arriving in black bags in a hall in Baguio, where relatives wept after recognizing their loved ones.
"There was a sudden rumble above us, and then the houses at the bottom were gone, including them," said Melody Coronel, pointing to the relatives she found among the dead.
In Mountain Province, 15 bodies were retrieved while 20 people were missing from a village in Tadian township, Manuel said.
Landslides blocked the roads to the mountain city of Baguio, where 48 people died, in the heart of the Cordillera region. The only way to reach the isolated, mountain communities was by foot, and military helicopters could not fly yet because of fog and rain, said Lt. Col. Ernesto Torres of the government's disaster-relief agency.
"We are focused on rescue at this time," he said. "It is raining nonstop in the Cordilleras."
About 100 landslides have struck the region since the weekend.
In Benguet province's Buyagan village, only three out of about 100 houses remained visible after Thursday night's landslide buried most structures there. Some 50 residents were saved and seven bodies recovered, Manuel said.
As the mountain region struggled with the rescue operation, farther to the south, in Pangasinan province, pounding rains prompted authorities to discharge excess water from swollen dams. The deluge caused the Agno River and surrounding dikes to burst their banks, inundating 30 out of 48 towns, a scene of mayhem that sent residents onto rooftops, scrambling for safety.
Better weather allowed the Philippine coast guard and U.S. Navy helicopters to pluck people marooned on the roofs and treetops.
In Rosales, also in Pangasinan province, the biggest mall in town was flooded by neck-deep waters that sent appliances floating and smashing through glass panels. Some residents were seen carrying some of the goods away.
About 1,000 people remained stranded in the mall as night fell Friday. Others whose houses were flooded retreated to higher floors or were staying with relatives and neighbors.
Forecasters said Parma, which was downgraded to a tropical depression, was still lingering off the northeastern coast. It hit land more than a week ago, the second major storm to drench the country in two weeks. Tropical Storm Ketsana, which struck Sept. 26, left 337 people dead, most of them in and around Manila.
The government's disaster relief agency said it had asked the U.S. Embassy to redeploy hundreds of American troops from the massive cleanup in Manila to the flood-hit areas in the north. The U.S. government doubled its aid pledges to $4.3 million.
Two U.S. Navy ships were positioning in the Lingayen Gulf in Pangasinan to provide helicopters and rubber boats for the rescue mission, said U.S. Marine Capt. Jorge Escatell.
Six U.S. Navy CH-46 transport helicopters were on standby at Clark Air Base and two more were at a Philippine military camp in nearby Tarlac province, Torres said.
Associated Press writers Teresa Cerojano and Oliver Teves contributed to this report.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)