PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Carabao Concert in 1983
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Carabao Concert in 1983

Thought i would share this classic with foreign fans of Carabao. It's my favourite Thai song of all time.

Unfortunately, many of the Thais who upload videos on to YouTube are in the habit of not adding a Tag in English, so making it impossible for those who don't know Thai language to find certain videos.

Ive just re-uploaded this classic video on to my YouTube channel.

It's Carabao's version of the beautiful song Duenphen about a guy who fled to the jungles in the 1970's to join the Communist Party.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlS7MU2yGYk"]YouTube - Carabao in 1983 (Duenphen)[/ame]
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

Re: Carabao Concert in 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cleary View Post
    a guy
    Just to fill in a little bit of information:
    Assanee Polchan (ȹ Ũѹ), otherwise known as "Nai Pee" (¼) or "Sahai / Loong Fai" (), "Comrade Fai", writer, poet, member of the Communist Party of Thailand.

Assanee wrote the song (as a poem, I think?) from his own heart and experience. The original title was Դ֧ҹ"khit thueng baan". This was originally recorded by Nga Caravan, then later on by Ad Carabao, who changed the title to "Duenphen".

These days it's not just a 'peua cheewit' standard, but has almost been taken over as a song of national pride and significance and is performed by artists of almost all forms of music found in Thailand.

It's a song truly from the heart, as Assanee tells of his desire to return to his home and Thailand, asking the wind to take the message of his love and let his loved ones and beloved country know that he will return.

He died in exile in Laos in 1987, with his remains brought back to Thailand a decade later by a group comprising the October groups, 'peua cheewit' artists and writers.

Thanks

Khao Niaw: Do you have any idea where the name 'Duenphen' came from? Or who 'Duenphen' was?
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

"Duenphen" is the full moon, which I always imagine he is sitting and looking at while pining for home.

Something that I didn't know before but just came across on Wikipedia, was that Nai Pee actually wrote the song during time he spent in Beijing, many years before going into the jungles with the Thai communists. This comes from a quoted interview with Nga Caravan, who said he first heard the song when it was sung to him by a relative of Nai Pee that he met while they were with the communists in the north.

Thanks

Incidentally, Carabao also did a song about Assanee called 'Loong Fai' (ا) on their ѧ album. And I think I remember that his picture is on the inside cover (perhaps alongside Aung San Suu Kyi, with Che definitely on the front cover). I'll have to dig out the tape collection later and check.

Thanks

Yeah, KhaoNiaw: I had already spotted the Thai language Wiki entry a while back.... though not much content, still interesting stuff.
    According to a couple of old Thai friends here in Suphan who were student activists in those days, they said that Duenphen (as in full moon) was actually the name of someone close to Nai Phee, or something like that... Ill ask again soon.
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

Interesting, I've not heard that before.

I can't find the tape, may be one of the ones the builders 'borrowed' when we moved last year. Still, I have turned up a copy of the collected articles of Assanee Polchan that I knew was there somewhere. It's not light bedtime reading though!

Thanks

Why is U tube so slow in thailand? when in england U tube is grease lightling, strange as anything else i do in thailand on my laptop is quick?
    cheers for posting video, but not my cup of tea, i love carabao and parn songs but not much else from carabao, i went to a sec loso concert, a thai lady friend of mine said to many groupies are underage girls at carabao concerts!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    a thai lady friend of mine said to many groupies are underage girls at carabao concerts!!!!
    Hah... are you serious she said that? I seen Ad Carabao 4 times on stage (3 Carabao concerts) and spoken to Ad on a couple of occasions there. And i can vouch that i never seen any underage groupies! Carabao hire a couple of young women as personal assistants, but that's about it. Can ask fellow member here Sparky, too.
    I am close to Ad's elder brother here in Suphan and I run a school alongside one of Ad's nephews. Here is Carabao Town, and i can promise that i aint ever heard of Carabao and underage groupies!

In fact, most of the women who go to Carabao concerts are getting on in life - few spring chicks.

By the way Ian, i use TTnT and my YouTube etc... connection is fine for watching videos.
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

There are certainly a couple of band members and associates (not necessarily the big names, I hasten to add) who enjoy the company of young girls, but only around the 20 year-old mark I'd say. Not underage kids - it just looks that way compared to those old rockers! Still it's not always very nice, and sometimes those around Ad can let him down.
    Last edited by KhaoNiaw; 21-10-09 at 03:17 PM.

Thread Information