PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Use of krab
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of krab

Thanks

Use of krab

Hi all.
    I am in correspondence with some Thai colleagues and they use krab at the end of their name (i.e. Sirichai krab) or an abbreviation (i.e. K.Peter).

May I get your inputs on what these means, when do you use them, and is there a different address for men and women?

Thanks - appreciate your help!

Thanks

Re: Use of krab

i don't know at all about K.Peter.... i guess it's from Khun << a pronoun means You
    Krab is added at the end of sentences, or before the last word ..there;s no meaning in the word but it's used to make you sense the politeness to listeners

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mansanas View Post
    Hi all.
    I am in correspondence with some Thai colleagues and they use krab at the end of their name (i.e. Sirichai krab) or an abbreviation (i.e. K.Peter).

May I get your inputs on what these means, when do you use them, and is there a different address for men and women?

Thanks - appreciate your help!
    It's similar to "po" in Filipino language, (seeing you're in the Philippines) or "yes, Sir/ Yes, Ma'am in English. Except that in Thai "krap" is used by a male speaker and "kha" by a female speaker, though both mean "po".

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Should "krab" be added at the end of every single sentence-or are there rules?
    I note that in some Thai speech it is not heard at the pause at the end of a sentence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karnkarnz View Post
    i don't know at all about K.Peter.... i guess it's from Khun << a pronoun means You
    Yes, I find this to be quite common when Thai people write messages in English language, they may also use "P" and "N" for (pee) and ͧ (nong) too.

Thanks

In my opinion there is no hard and fast rule about the use of the word "khrab Ѻ". To use it or not however can make a difference to the perceived "tone of voice", referred to as "haang siang ҧ§"
    I use it a lot in my spoken Thai because that is the way I was taught. It is considered to be a very polite way to speak Thai to use khrab. If you use it often people will say you ٴШѧ
    Some people use it a lot, others not so much. Listen to the lakhorn nam nao soaps, that is a good indication of how it should be used. Even when women are screeching at each other and guys are about to shoot each other they very often still use Kha and Khrab.
    It is of course also the Thai word for "yes" and as such it is also the word used to answer when someone calls out to you from a distance eg.

Wife downstairs calls out "SOMCHAI"!!!...........Somchai upstairs answers "KHRAB"!! or very often these days the male will answer "khrab phom. Ѻ"

Thanks

Yes, I totally agree - people shouldn't try to include information about the writing system when they transliterate. We aren't talking about seafood here, spell it like it sounds. Krap, or even crap. But never khrab.

Thanks

Hi all.

Hi,

Thai people add krab (for man) and ka (for woman) at the end of the sentence to make the sentence sound more polite. They've no meaning. This's a part of Thai culture. And we were taught since we're little to use krab and ka in almost every sentence with parent, teacher and elder.

We normally use it when speaking with elder (to show our respect) or someone that we are not close with such as new friends or new people you deal business with. You might stop using it later if you became close to your friends (but not with elder).

For K.Peter, it's from Khun Peter. Khun is the same meaning and same usage with Ms. and Mr. except it can use for both man and woman (or can say, for everyone).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Should "krab" be added at the end of every single sentence-or are there rules?
    I note that in some Thai speech it is not heard at the pause at the end of a sentence.
    Unfortunately, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. You have to go by "feel." I tend to use it at the end of most sentences and to Thai people it would make me sound overly polite and probably a bit stilted. However, it is always better to sound too polite than not polite enough.

When some southern Thai people were sending me up recently they said "krab" a lot and with the formal pronunciation (whereas they normally say "kap" and, as southerners, also say it less than folks from the other regions).

Maybe as I get more fluent, I will sound more like a native speaker with my use of particles.

Some of the more experienced students and native speakers might be able to give some pointers on the right level for using "krab" and "ka", as well as other particles, like "na", "ha", "ja" etc, that can give speech a softer, friendlier feel.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

When talking to Thai people in general I usually start out polite, and then let them take the lead in the use of krap/ka:

If they use it a lot, I'll do the same and if they drop it after a couple of sentences I'll do the same as well.

When talking to officials (police, customs, etc.) or to the parents of friends for instance, it's better though to keep using 'krap', even if they don't use it.....

When talking to friends I hardly ever use 'krap', except maybe when I'm asking them to do something for me.

Thread Information