PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
basic thai phrases - mp3 ?
    Thanks

basic thai phrases - mp3 ?

Hello,

I have just found this site and find it very informative. I have a few posts i wish to make over the next while.

My girlfriend and I, are due to start a year long backpacking adventure in January 2010. It starts in Thailand for 6 weeks.

My girlfriend loves languages, and we would very much like to learn some phrases we will need on our travels.

I can find some common phrases, but the pronouncation is what is hard to grasp without hearing it.

I would love if it was available in mp3 format so as we can listen on our mp3 players.

For example :

greetings, common phrases, numbers, days, directions, food and drink.

1.Sa-wat dee (hello)
    Used for both hello and goodbye.

2.Khop koon (thank you)
    How to show your appreciation once you’ve been handed your Singha beer and pad Thai.

3.Gee baht? (how much)
    Essential for all the shopping you’ll be doing, or when haggling with tuk-tuk drivers.

4.Yoo tee nai...? (where is...)
    Invaluable when lost! Just point at a place on your map or in your guidebook and say ‘yoo tee nai’. Also useful when you are trying to find the right bus to go to Phuket or otherwise.

5.Mai ow (don't want)
    Useful for fending off persistent street vendors.

6.Khor tort (sorry)
    Stood on someone’s foot at the Chatuchak market? Now you can apologise.

7.Neung, song, saam, see, haa, hook, jet, baat, gow, sip (one to ten)
    Impress the locals by reciting one to ten.

8.Lot noi dai mai? (can you make it cheaper?)
    If you are doing a lot of shopping then try this handy phrase. By speaking a little Thai you might just get a better discount.

9.A-roi (delicious)
    Show your appreciation for that delicious Thai meal! You never know, if you go back to the same place you might get an extra helping.

10.Mai pen lai (never mind)
    A common phrase in the Thai language – if someone apologises to you (khor tort) then reply with ‘mai pen lai’. If someone thanks you (khop koon) say ‘mai pen lai’. If there’s a mix up (which invariably happens with a language barrier) have a chuckle and say ‘mai pen lai’!

Are these available anywhere for free on the internet.

thankyou.

Thanks

Re: basic thai phrases - mp3 ?

your top 10 is perfect for what you want, the way its written in english above is very close to how you would say these words, so you've got all you need already, but this link for old top ten is what i first learnt, should help lots, has what you want and much more, good luck and enjoy your 6 weeks, ian
    http://www.learningthai.com/useful_phrases.html

Thanks

Panrit said he would record the mp3 for you later today.

Thanks

This is the mp3 recording for you. It was recorded by Panrit. He is unable to come to the computer at the moment to post it himself as he is not well. He says if anyone else wants some mp3 files then please post your requests here.

To download the free mp3 file below, you need to be logged into the forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information