Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

so happy! Can I go back to Thailand?

I'm new here, so sorry if this question is posted in the wrong place.

I went to Thailand for the first time earlier this year. I stayed for 6 weeks without a visa (I'm a UK citizen).

I didn't know I could only stay for 4 weeks with getting a visa.

So I got fined at the airport for the two weeks which I overstayed.

Now my passport has "CANCELLED" stamped all over it.

I'm planning on going back in April. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems on my next trip?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Can I go back to Thailand?

maybe getting a new passport will do the trick. not sure if or how records are kept.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Basie View Post
    I'm new here, so sorry if this question is posted in the wrong place.

I went to Thailand for the first time earlier this year. I stayed for 6 weeks without a visa (I'm a UK citizen).

I didn't know I could only stay for 4 weeks with getting a visa.

So I got fined at the airport for the two weeks which I overstayed.

I'm planning on going back in April. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems on my next trip?

Thanks.
    Do you usually travel so unprepared? When you arrived at the airport and were admitted for 30 days didn't you look at the "Admitted Until" date stamp? Weren't you aware of Thailand's visa requirements? How long did you think you could stay without a visa. Are you aware that if the police had checked your passport and you were in excess of the 30 day rule without a valid visa, they would have thrown you in the immigration jail, possibly for months?
    What do you mean stamped "CANCELLED" all over it? every page in the passport?
    Sounds to me like you shouldn't be let out without a keeper

Thanks

My husband was in Thailand for visiting me.( he was only boyfriend that time)
    He did not notice that he can not stay there without visa no more than a month.

Lucky him he flew out the country and overstay just a week, cost him pay fine for 500 a day

There are no Stamp as " CANCELLED" on his passport.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,761 Posts

Why dont you contact the Thai Consulate in Hull & ask them what the situation is?

Thanks

Ive only had 1 day over stay, and luckily all i had to do was sign something, no 500bth fee,2 days up and then start paying, but learnt my lesson, but trying to be to clever on 90 days is not easy, getting the calendar on your phone and seeing exactly when 90days are up!, 1,2,3,4! 87,88,? where was i! is not worth the hassles go a few days early each time.

so i cant really help from my experiance,but if you get anything stamped in your passport with cancelled on a 30day visa on arrival that youve already overstayed by 2 weeks i would take it to mean your passport has been cancelled for entry to thailand,
    i might be wrong but when you've paid £500 for a flight and your at customs and the thai official looks at that cancelled stamp, im pretty sure you wont be going forward on your holidays without a lot more hassles or money payment,
    i must admit i find it funny that most farang find getting a proper visa such a big deal, its not hard at all to get a non immigrant "o" so why do people bother with visa on arrival then wanting to stay more than a month? or tourist visa when waiting to stay over 3 months? as one of the earlier posts said, be prepared do your research first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    i must admit i find it funny that most farang find getting a proper visa such a big deal, its not hard at all to get a non immigrant "o" so why do people bother with visa on arrival then wanting to stay more than a month?
    According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Visa on Arrival is available only to people from a list of 19 countries that are not granted a 30 day Visa Excemption, and is normally only issued for 15 days.

*19 Countries eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL rule:

1. Bhutan
    2. China
    3. Cyprus
    4. Czech Republic
    5. Estonia
    6. Hungary
    7. India
    8. Kazakhstan
    9. Latvia
    10. Liechtenstein
    11. Lithuania
    12. Maldives
    13. Mauritius
    14. Poland
    15. Saudi Arabia
    16. Slovakia
    17. Slovenia
    18. Taiwan
    19. Ukraine

David

Thanks

I've given up trying to explain people the difference between a visa-free (visa exemption) entry and a visa on arrival.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I've given up trying to explain people the difference between a visa-free (visa exemption) entry and a visa on arrival.....
    Isn't it basically that visa exemption, cost nothing and visa on arrival is like having to pay a small fee for a visa, just like a tax, to me it seems like some kind of revenue thing. When I got to Thailand as an Australian, I get a visa exemption it cost me nothing and is encouraging me to go to Thailand over a country that charges me for a visa on arrival. Last year when travelling to Indonesia I had to pay for a visa on arrival, to me that has discouraged me from going to Indonesia. It seems Thailand has visa exemption for the rich countries, to encourage more wealthier tourists that will spend more money, while they want to make shore people from poorer countries will be there to spend money by charging them for a visa on arrival.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Basie View Post
    Someone must have been very angry with you to do that.

I don't think Thailand can cancel a U.K. passport. But I would take the above advice to get a new passport AND apply for a visa in advance.

Thread Information