PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Aroon Rai restaurant - worst Thai meal ever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Aroon Rai restaurant - worst Thai meal ever

I'd like to take the trouble to leave a review somewhere online about Aroon Rai restaurant, near Thapae gate in Chiang Mai, which continues to get rave reviews all over the internet (recommended by Lonely planet as well).
    I had been there before and I hated the food, but, what the hell, I though the reason was that the curry was too hot for me and I cannot eat spicy.

Yesterday I spent the day with two bloggers from my country, who run an award-winning culinary and expat blog (they don't live in Thailand just visit regularly).

We were really hungry when we passed by Aroon Rai and we decided to drop in despite the cold neon lights and the simple run-down plastic decor (the usual Thai setup, but with double prices) because I remembered it is a recommended restaurant. I thought at least we would get big portions and excellent food - just keep away from the spicy stuff.

We ordered phat thai, local curry, kanaa mu krop, and fried frogs.

The phat thai was a tiny little dish, greasy, and tasted burnt.
    The curry and the pork came in tiny little dishes - for 60-70 baht, you expect good big portions well enough to fill a hungry person, or two skinny not-so-hungry ones. These were barely visible, the chicken in the curry was bony and fatty, hardly any real meat, the curry itself was cold (60 baht). The pork was another small portion, way too oily or fatty, with three bites of meat (60 baht). The frog was 5 tiny little pieces of legs, all bones of course, for 80 baht.

It was unanimously voted the worst Thai food and service we have had (that IS quite something after my canteen lunches and four years of running into occasional grim meals in the country), and it was totally embarrassing for me as well, of course. No idea why I wasn't forceful and steer them away to my favourite phat thai place, or Riverside, or Tha Naam (also on the river), or a mukata place on Huay Kaew, or just about anywhere else. I guess we had too little time. And what a wasted dinner if you only get one go.

Avoid this place unless you are into overpriced, greasy food in a rundown setting. I am pretty sure you can get those curries at a million other places where they don't come in a little rice bowl. For khao soy, Sailomjoy (inside Thapae gate, next to Black Canyon) is excellent, for example.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Aroon Rai restaurant - worst Thai meal ever

Betti-suggest you post this review widely, if you have not already done so-Thorn Tree etc.
    No excuse for such poor food in a country renowned for good food!
    Happy New Year.-And a happier eating experience next time!
    Last edited by Khun Don; 01-01-10 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

still considering doing it but not sure.

better food next time? you bet! usually I cook for myself, hardly ever eat out

Thanks

I never eat out in the UK-the cost to quality ratio is far too high!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Does this place get these great reviews in Western press and blogs?

From my experience, these tiny, highly regarded, stainless tabled plastic chaired dives are the only "local" Thai many try. One blogger will get the nerve to try it, then others become brave.

Sometimes, they will start out good, get a clientele built up, then bask in their fame, forgetting about the food.

Thanks

they must have been good at some point otherwise I have no idea how this could have happened....

I'm not a fanatic of authentic Thai food but I guess I am still qualified enough to see if a portion is tiny, greasy, cold, expensive, or full of chicken bones.... I am totally puzzled, to say the least.

there are reviews like this http://www.asiarooms.com/travel-guid...hiang-mai.html
    claiming it is the best restaurant in town.

at the moment, google picks up this thread on the 7th spot. gotta admire thailandqa!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    at the moment, google picks up this thread on the 7th spot. gotta admire thailandqa!
    Might be worth posting in Thai to see if Thai google ranks it so highly-message might then get back to the owners and cause them enough embarrasment to them for them to up their game!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Worst meal we had in Thailand was at Dusit Zoo, I don't know what the problem was as Ubonwan sent it back before I even saw it. We kept our drinks but they decided to make my latte coffee without milk!!! [Latte is Italian for milk.]

To be fair we have been there other times both before and after and had good food.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    It was unanimously voted the worst Thai food and service we have had (that IS quite something after my canteen lunches and four years of running into occasional grim meals in the country), and it was totally embarrassing for me as well, of course. No idea why I wasn't forceful and steer them away to my favourite phat thai place, or Riverside, or Tha Naam (also on the river), or a mukata place on Huay Kaew, or just about anywhere else. I guess we had too little time. And what a wasted dinner if you only get one go.
    Agree. Nothing more embarrassing when you are the host and you bought your guests thinking you're about to treat them the best Thai food they'll ever have.
    When I'm at Chiang Mai, I'll usually go Riverside, Good View, or Mol C Mol L when the food is "ok" but at least they have good band. Only thing is sometimes they turn the sound up too high. I think there are a couple of new nice looking restaurants beside Good View now?
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks

I was planning something on the river but eventually they did not manage to rent a motorcycle (can only drive automatic) so it was a horrible day anyway, organising rides etc.

Yes, there are a bunch of restaurants on the river. I like the Riverside but my favourite is Tha Naam, which is way, way south, almost at the superhighway (Mahidol road) bridge, and on the other side. It is not so crowded and the food is really good. (Thais seem to like it too.) I like to take people there. Sometimes a few too many mozzies is a problem.
    Last edited by Betti; 07-01-10 at 05:32 PM.

Thread Information