PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tones???

Thread: Tones???

Thanks

Tones???

Hi,

When people say to learn the tones,does that mean to learn the tone of all the words that u know,or does it mean to learn the tone rules?

Sorry about the silly question.

Thank u!

Thanks

Re: Tones???

Probably both. Its important to recognise and replicate the 5 tones when speaking Thai, but its also important to learn the tone rules that apply to written Thai. If I was asked which is the highest priority for a beginner I would say the former, but some here might disagree. I have been learning Thai for quite a few years and have still not mastered the written tone rules. But I can understand Thai and make myself understood reasonably well.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Thank U!

At the moment I'm reading the tone rules often and reading (Thai) also,my reading is alright except for working out the tone of the words.At the moment I'm just trying to remember the tones of common words...mai ,glai ,kao etc...

Thanks

I spent about 3 hours last night on tones. For me it is an ongoing process. I have a notebook where I have collected copies of everyone's tones short cut rules, etc. that I've gathered over the years. The school book that I study from is now on the chapter of tones, so I sat down and read through the new book and then went back through my old notebook and ran drills.

I think everyone views tones differently based on how you want to learn the language. If you only want to speak or only communicate, then memorizing the words is a good approach. If you want a more in depth study of the language then the rules are a must.

Thanks

I step on my cat's tail to practice tones. When I step on her tail lightly, she makes a low (growling) tone. Then when I start to put more weight on her tail, she makes the low-to-high tone. When all my weight is on her tail, she makes the high tone. You should try it.

LoL. J/K. Don't step on cats' tails.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thread Information