PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Safety in Nong Khai for Foreign Children...
    Thanks

Safety in Nong Khai for Foreign Children...

Hi!

I have a question for locals and or frequent visitors of Nong Khai...

My partner and I are travelling to Nong Khai to volunteer in one of the Nursery Schools for the month of Feb. We are bringing our * and 4 year olds with us.

My little girl's dad has not been to Thailand, but has heard alot of discouraging stories about the overall safety and safety for kids in Thailand and the region.

Having been before, I am not concerned. However his main concerns revolve around the fact that our little girl is very friendly and outgoing, like most 8 year olds, will talk to EVERYONE, is very naaive and believes everything she's told etc.

He is worried that she may wander off and be hurt, not knowing the language, or that something may happen to me and she will be unable to get help for herself.

He is also worried about the living standards, as in he is worried that she will become ill from hygeine or drinking water, and that appropriate medical care may not be available.

If there is anyone who lives locally, or visits Nong Khai with kids, I would be very very grateful if you could shed some light on safety in general and safety for kids in the region.

Please do not hold back, if there are concerns, I'd like to be able to give him as much unbiased information as possible, in order that he can make the decision as to whether she will be allowed to come with us.

Thanks very much in advance, all responses would be really appreciated.

Lia

Thanks

Re: Safety in Nong Khai for Foreign Children...

most if not all resruants use bottled water for drinking. medical facilities in the area are excellent . Lot of people in the area have a grasp of english nong khai being the main stopping off point for travel to Loas.

Thanks

Re: Safety in Nong Khai for Foreign Children...

I live in the suburbs of Chiang Mai. children this age play freely in the street, taking care of each other. the neighbourhood parents also keep an eye on them. I don't think abduction is a big concern around here. children pick up the language very quickly if they join the neighbourhood kids playing in the streets.
    I think foreigners have an appalling view of kids' security because many are being carried around on motorcycles, or without car seats.
    if you are scared she may get lost, it could be useful to prepare a bracelet with her name and address written on it and make sure she wears it all the time when she is out.
    as for health, may not be a bad idea to check out hepatitis A and typhoid vaccination. these are routine for adults living in the region, I don't know if children can get it. these diseases are transmitted by contaminated food and water (can happen anytime, even if you are careful). in residential areas, drinking water comes once or twice a week in bottles or 20-litre containers, totally safe. you can also buy bottled water (for a lot more) in supermarkets. I don't know specifically about Nong Khai, in Chiang Mai, tapwater is ok for brushing teeth, washing dishes and cooking.
    would the kids be staying with you at school during the day? if she likes mothering younger kids, it would be a nice experience for your 8-year-old.

Thread Information