PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Anger over midnight closing time
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    CABINET DECISION: Anger over midnight closing time

The Nation, Published on Feb 11, 2004

The Cabinet yesterday endorsed a new regulation for a midnight closing time for most entertainment venues, while allowing nightspots in designated zones to stay open two hours longer.

After a brief discussion on the proposed regulation, the Cabinet agreed to an earlier decision by a government committee which called for different closing hours for nightspots in different zones, Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont told reporters yesterday.

Owners of night entertainment venues yesterday denounced the decision, labelling it a death sentence for businesses and bad news for tourism.

Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piumsombuns committee in charge of combating vice at entertainment venues proposed the different closing times on Friday. The new closing times come into effect on March 1.

All entertainment venues outside the designated areas, including food shops selling liquor and music, will now have to close at midnight instead of the current 2am.

In the designated zones, nightclubs and bars can stay open until 2am, while pubs and discotheques are required to close at 1am.

Shops selling khao tom (rice porridge) can stay open all night as they are not covered by the new law, Pracha said.

However, the shops must comply with relevant laws, such as the smoking ban at all food outlets.

In Bangkok, the zones designated for entertainment venues cover the Patpong area and New Phetchaburi and Ratchadaphisek Roads. The Interior Ministry regulation will be imposed under the Entertainment Venue Act, which came into effect early last month but sets no specific hours for entertainment venues.

Pracha voiced concern, however, that entertainmentvenue operators could take legal action against the Cabinet for breach of their constitutional rights.

But Purachai told the Cabinet he had no such worry, he said.

The deputy interior minister said that personally he believed the same service hours should be applied to all night entertainment venues to allow easier supervision and enforcement for authorities. But the ministry was ready to follow the decision.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told the Cabinet yesterday that efficiency of enforcement rather than a possible violation of the Charter should be the main concern, the source said.

Somyos Suthangkoon, who heads an association of entertainmentvenue operators, said the early closing time would have a severe impact on most nightspots.

Allowing nightclubs and bars to stay open for only three hours a day was strange, compared to eight hours for massage parlours. Everybody knows massage parlours is the front for what, Somyos added.

Praphan Pumchaosuan, leader of entertainmentplace owners in the Patpong area, said yesterday that shorter service hours would drive away foreign tourists.

The new regulation will take effect in all provinces, except Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Samut Prakan and Uttaradit, where the zones for entertainment places have yet to be designated, deputy government spokeswoman Sansanee Nakapong said yesterday. In the four provinces, the current opening hours will be retained.

Praphan Pumchaosuan, leader of bar owners in Patpong, said yesterday shorter service hours would drive away foreign tourists.

The new rules will take effect nationwide, except in Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Samut Prakan and Uttaradit, where entertainment zones have yet to be designated.

Samatcha Hunsara,

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

Thanks
    I'm relieved to hear that Ratchadaphisek Road is one of the designated nightspot areas unaffected. My beloved Dance Fever and Hollywood are located there, so glad that they are not affected by this new law. Just an interesting comparision, Singapore is doing the exact opposite. The Government in Singapore recently extended opening hours of all nightspots to 24 hours a day. Many nightspots have taken to this new extension by extending opening hours to 4am and some even 6am. Isn't that cool. I wonder why Thailand are doing exactly the opposite?

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure they're not going to be affected, as they've got live music which I think would force them to close at 1am even though they're in Ratchadaphisek. Can but wait and see I guess.:(

Thanks
    The latest I stayed out was until 1am. I guess one-hour shaved of that won't hurt me. However, this sounds like a death sentence for a lot of businesses, as there are many clubs that don't even get busy until midnight. From my prespective, it's a bad decision.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    This article only describes this new law and how it will apply, I'm waiting for them to justify and reveal the reasons for the implementation of this law.

Thanks

Gor Gai

I think it is a good decision, and it was long overdue.

The fact that the stricter regulations apply only to entertainment venues outside the designated areas (aka tourist hot-spots) hints that these are there for the benefit of the hard-working locals. I think we can all understand that people who have 12-16 hour workshifts every day have different ideas about entertainment that the tourists and the lazy locals, right?

Let the revellers have their designated places, and let the rest rest.

Partying is a privilege, not a right. The leaders who the people entrusted with governing power decided that this privilege must be curbed for the common good. And I agree with them.

Thanks
    Ahh! Now I can get some sleep!
    Generally, people 16 thru 25 tend to live for the all night party.
    Generally, those older take on other priorities and have less time to go to a nightly venue.
    Generally, it is alot of fun and can be a place for meeting new friends which might lead to helpful contacts in the future.
    Generally, there will be people who fall to the drug scene and obsessive alcohol abuse.
    Generally that is!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Let the revellers have their designated places, and let the rest rest.
    As long as Dance Fever is not affected, I'm cool.

Thanks

Gor Gai

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Generally that is!
    <span style='color:red'>Seeker likes to be the exception&#33;</span>

Thanks
    I have never been to a night club in bangkok, but I wanted to last time I was there. Because I did not have my ear plugs with me I decided not to go in as I did not want to end up deaf the next day I will bring my ear plugs with me when I&#39;m there in March. I don&#39;t go to night clubs much, but for people who like to go to them, I think 2.00 am is to early, In Sydney Australia when one night club closes at 3.00 am there is another one down the road just opening, then when that one closes about 8.00 am there is another one opening at 8.00 am so effectivly you can go to a night club in Sydney 24 hours a day. I might also add I don&#39;t go to these night clubs because most of them are for gay&#39;s but I know many strait people go as well because people who do shift work cannot always go at conventional times.

Thread Information